Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Ten-Tec Omni VI+ Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni VI+
Ten-Tec Omni VI+ Reviews: 53 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2585.
Description: Omni-VI Plus - unmatched receiver performance
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT564.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni VI+.

WU7R Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2006 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Truly a great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Being a relatively new ham (two years) I have owned several radios including all of the Elecraft kits that I have built. I operate almost exclusively CW. By far, the best radio I have found is the Omni VI Plus with roofing filter from Inrad. The radio is simple to operate and sounds and works fantastically. I have no complaints what-so-ever, and I would recommend this radio to anyone above all others at any price or by any manufacturer. It also gets rave reviews on the few SSB contacts I have made. If you find one, buy it.

W4CAK Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2006 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Impressed!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am impressed with the cw performance of the Omni 6+, and expecially with the way the NR works. When the going gets rough the NR on this rig works its magic when engaged, and lifts the cw sigs way up out of the noise. I can see why this rig is much in demand by cw ops.

This rig is dependable and works the same way every time it is turned on, no burps or bugs to contend with here, just solid performance day in and day out. IF you are looking for a really good cw rig then search no further, the Omni 6+ is the one to get. Be sure to look for a late production run with the TCXO.

W7TEA Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2006 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this rig locally as a backup to the Orion. Have InRad 600hz roofing filters in both. Have swapped the two rigs a dozen times or more and the Plus always ends up on the desk. It hears anything the Orion does. The Orion NB is better and being able to narrow the filter to 100hz is nice at times, but the Plus is easier to operate and more pleasant to listen to over the hours. I love this rig and for now, the Orion has become the backup! (Improved v2 Orion firmware may change things though.)

W4BQF Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2005 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent CW radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
One of the best radios I've ever owned was an Omni 6, purchased in '92 and used for 11 years with great success in rag chews, chasing DX, contesting and running QRQ. After finally getting frustrated with an Orion, I bought a used Omni 6 Plus. I recently installed the Inrad 600 Hz roofing filter. In my opinion you just can't beat this rig for the above mentioned type of operation. Just like my old Omni 6, the Plus just sits on the desk and plays flawless. Reports of excellent sounding CW characteristics at 25 wpm or at 70 wpm. Extremely easy to operate, even during contest competition. Very happy with this radio.

Tom - W4BQF

KD9MF Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2005 18:35 Send this review to a friend
fun rig! great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have had this rig now for about 1 month the reviews that said the ssb rx audio is fatiguing to listen to, i dont see it. it is a bit low freq restricted, but i bought the inrad 2.8 filters and wow, what a rx. its got a beautiful sound, adjusting the pbt to make it pleasant to the ear. the dsp noise reduction works like a charm. i was talking to a 3 station and he was lost in the noise. pushing the nr button madee the signal pop right out of the nosie and was 100% readable. its just fun rig, no big bells and whistles, just a radio that works like it should, each and every time. now to try the orion!

NZ7C Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2004 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've worked my way through from an Omni C to an Omni V to the VI+. I've built K2's and owned the 756 ProII - both fantastic rigs. However, for the pure joy of sweet sounding cw operation I keep coming back to Ten Tec. The Omni VI+ was built for cw and I suspect will always be considered the classic all time cw rig. Purely subjective and purely my 2 cents worth.

W8OW Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2004 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Bang for the Buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the third Omni VI I've owned....the first two were sold in search of the perfect rig. The last one was purchased from an SK estate at Dayton after I realized that all the "super rigs" I have acquired as replacements don't hear any better and are far more complicated to operate.

Smooth as silk QSK CW operation, big controls and the most intuitive filtering and bandpass tuning I've used.

Truly competent and friendly service, plus "Made in America", make this radio a keeper. You won't find a better rig at twice the price.

WB8YQJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2004 20:49 Send this review to a friend
All of the HF fun, and none of the hassle.  Time owned: more than 12 months
It has been a long time since the OMNI VI+ was reviewed on eHam. It seems the DSP rigs have stolen all the thunder these days. I had one
two years ago, and sold it for an IC756Pro after using it for two years. I am a 95% CW operator, and recently bought another OMNI VI+. I added
the two most important upgrades, the TCXO was added at the factory, and I added dual Inrad 2.8khz SSB filters along with a single 400hz Inrad Cw filter.

I will say that for non-purists, the OMNI VI+ is the most capable and friendly transceiver that I have ever used, with the Icom IC751a (also the IC761/765) running neck and neck with it until you consider the incredible Ten Tec QSK and the fact that the Icoms have a fan.

Operating this radio on CW is just like magic. The absence of the fan and quiet switching make it seem impossible that 100 watts are actually
going into the antenna. Even the K2 does not QSK as well as the OMNI and the receive audio is not nearly as pleasant. With the wider Inrad filters, it has all the fidelity one could want on SSB but without them it sounds like 1980's SSB - very restricted.

Now there are spurs, more and louder than on the Icoms or K2. All except one on 15m (S5 at 21.330) are completely trivial to my operation. The rig
with TCXO is very stable - essentially it is as stable as the BFO crystal that's in use.

Lots of guys have moved on to Orions, Jupiters, MP, and TS2000. But this radio stands in during contests better, and is more comfortable during a CW ragchew than the others. No boot nor reboot needed. The display, meter, and knobs are all man sized.

This radio has been revised, updated, and improved over so many years and none of that time was spent on computer bugs, it all went into actual improvements of the radio. With the mods suggested, in my mind it will be a long long time before anything else comes close to it - if ever.

NZ7C Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2003 17:40 Send this review to a friend
For me it's the best!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been a Ham since July, 2000 and have played radio roulette in an effort to decide the ideal rig for my cw interests. I went from an Omni C to Omni V to Icom 756 ProII to Omni VI+. I also operate a K2/100 which, goes without saying, is an incredible rig. In my shuffling I have concluded that within the TenTec line the same model rig can very from one specimen to the next. My subjective conclusion is that a good example of the VI+ is the most satisfying cw rig on the market. It's not necessarily for the SSB fellows and it does not have that wonderful and useful spectrum display of the ProII, but it is one smooth sounding awesome rig - which, despite the numbers on paper - does a better job at giving me ears then the ProII (and I really respect the ProII). I absolutely love it. For what it's worth folks and 73/Tim

LU5DDX Rating: 2/5 Apr 3, 2003 10:53 Send this review to a friend
demasiado caja  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
por favor no comparen con tablitas en las publicaciones con ningun equipo de hf porque es un fiasco.
apretas el ptt y por los auriculares se escuchan sumbidos ,no tiene control alc para lineal el vox no anda con el mic original ,tiene problemas de firmware no tiene am no recibe banda corrida
es inmenso y valia 2300 dolares por favor?? .
la recepcion no es uhhhh que gran cosa me parece
que las cosas no son como pintan
menos mal que ya no esta mas en mi estacion
perdon y gracias y no tengo nada que objetar de otros rig americanos collins kwm2 380 ,, drake que tuve en otros tiempos y son exelentes ..jorge