Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Ten-Tec Omni VI+ Help

Reviews Summary for Ten-Tec Omni VI+
Ten-Tec Omni VI+ Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $2585.
Description: Omni-VI Plus - unmatched receiver performance
More info: http://www.tentec.com/TT564.htm

You can write your own review of the Ten-Tec Omni VI+.

N7RD Rating: 5/5 Jul 18, 2009 07:34 Send this review to a friend
CW Ops Dream Machine  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
After 22 years of CW operation I've finally found the dream machine. This rig is outstanding in every aspect. With filter selections that one can mix and match to suit. If I can hear it then I can work it. QSK is probably the finest on any rig around. If you want a great CW rig and one you don't need to go to class to learn to run then this is the rig for you. As for SSB operation I wouldn't know as have never been on that mode. All in all a great CW preformer.

N6MYA Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2007 10:47 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC RADIO ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Although i've only owned the rig for less than 3 months, i have found the rig to be an outstanding performer. This rig has a better receiver than the Yaesu FT-102 with the various filters available for it, that i had several years ago. It is also better than an IC-740 i also had for a while.

I traded in a Ten-Tec Jupiter for it as i have a neighbor that is only eight blocks away, that when he gets on the air with his amplifier, caused the Jupiter to go completely dead ... that is completely blocked .... no sound from the rig whatsoever. I could have achieved the same effect by turning off the power switch. With the Omni however, i don't even know that he is on the band until i tune to within 2 khz of his frequency.

To be fair, i have to say that i installed the INRAD SSB roofing filter, and have done the INRAD audio modification.

There are only two things that i wish i could do to make this outstanding radio even better .... 1) purchased it several years ago .... and 2) give it more than a 5.

73 - Paul (N6MYA)

W1AWB Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2007 07:11 Send this review to a friend
A CW Classic  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this radio for 6 months and I keep waiting for the honeymoon to be over. This Omni 6+ replaces my much loved Omni V and I was somewhat sceptical that it would be much of an improvement but I have been very pleasantly surprised. Like on the Omni V, the filtering is superb and with the addition of the Inrad 600 hz roofing filter, which I strongly recommend, the selectivity will compete with the best contemporary rigs available. The QSK is the hands down best I've experienced. Better than my K2/100 and better than the Omni V. The ability to switch the amp relay off via the menu helps in this respect. Another nice touch is the front panel receive antenna button with led. On the Omni V you have to root around in the rear of the radio to find a little recessed slide switch. A real pain.
I don't work a lot of SSB so I haven't bothered with the wider filters mentioned for improved SSB performance. If I was mainly a phone operator,I might be a little dissapointed with this radio although the communications grade audio it delivers is clear and just fine for my purposes.
On CW is where the Omni 6+ truly shines. I suggest getting a later model Omni 6+ if you can. The TXCO makes for an ultra stable radio and the surface mount construction cuts way down on the birdies. I can't say enough good things about this radio. It is quiet, intuitive to operate and very dependable. A classic.

WU7R Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2006 05:25 Send this review to a friend
Truly a great radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Being a relatively new ham (two years) I have owned several radios including all of the Elecraft kits that I have built. I operate almost exclusively CW. By far, the best radio I have found is the Omni VI Plus with roofing filter from Inrad. The radio is simple to operate and sounds and works fantastically. I have no complaints what-so-ever, and I would recommend this radio to anyone above all others at any price or by any manufacturer. It also gets rave reviews on the few SSB contacts I have made. If you find one, buy it.

W4CAK Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2006 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Impressed!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I am impressed with the cw performance of the Omni 6+, and expecially with the way the NR works. When the going gets rough the NR on this rig works its magic when engaged, and lifts the cw sigs way up out of the noise. I can see why this rig is much in demand by cw ops.

This rig is dependable and works the same way every time it is turned on, no burps or bugs to contend with here, just solid performance day in and day out. IF you are looking for a really good cw rig then search no further, the Omni 6+ is the one to get. Be sure to look for a late production run with the TCXO.

W7TEA Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2006 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Love it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this rig locally as a backup to the Orion. Have InRad 600hz roofing filters in both. Have swapped the two rigs a dozen times or more and the Plus always ends up on the desk. It hears anything the Orion does. The Orion NB is better and being able to narrow the filter to 100hz is nice at times, but the Plus is easier to operate and more pleasant to listen to over the hours. I love this rig and for now, the Orion has become the backup! (Improved v2 Orion firmware may change things though.)

W4BQF Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2005 07:31 Send this review to a friend
Excellent CW radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
One of the best radios I've ever owned was an Omni 6, purchased in '92 and used for 11 years with great success in rag chews, chasing DX, contesting and running QRQ. After finally getting frustrated with an Orion, I bought a used Omni 6 Plus. I recently installed the Inrad 600 Hz roofing filter. In my opinion you just can't beat this rig for the above mentioned type of operation. Just like my old Omni 6, the Plus just sits on the desk and plays flawless. Reports of excellent sounding CW characteristics at 25 wpm or at 70 wpm. Extremely easy to operate, even during contest competition. Very happy with this radio.

Tom - W4BQF

KD9MF Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2005 18:35 Send this review to a friend
fun rig! great performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i have had this rig now for about 1 month the reviews that said the ssb rx audio is fatiguing to listen to, i dont see it. it is a bit low freq restricted, but i bought the inrad 2.8 filters and wow, what a rx. its got a beautiful sound, adjusting the pbt to make it pleasant to the ear. the dsp noise reduction works like a charm. i was talking to a 3 station and he was lost in the noise. pushing the nr button madee the signal pop right out of the nosie and was 100% readable. its just fun rig, no big bells and whistles, just a radio that works like it should, each and every time. now to try the orion!

NZ7C Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2004 23:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've worked my way through from an Omni C to an Omni V to the VI+. I've built K2's and owned the 756 ProII - both fantastic rigs. However, for the pure joy of sweet sounding cw operation I keep coming back to Ten Tec. The Omni VI+ was built for cw and I suspect will always be considered the classic all time cw rig. Purely subjective and purely my 2 cents worth.

W8OW Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2004 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Best HF Bang for the Buck!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the third Omni VI I've owned....the first two were sold in search of the perfect rig. The last one was purchased from an SK estate at Dayton after I realized that all the "super rigs" I have acquired as replacements don't hear any better and are far more complicated to operate.

Smooth as silk QSK CW operation, big controls and the most intuitive filtering and bandpass tuning I've used.

Truly competent and friendly service, plus "Made in America", make this radio a keeper. You won't find a better rig at twice the price.