Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZeroFive Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for ZeroFive Antennas
ZeroFive Antennas Reviews: 13 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Full size verticals for the low bands,30m,40m,80m,160m,Hand made from 6063-t832 tubing,12 sections from 2Inch Bottom section tapers to 1/2 at the top,Comes with base insulator and base tube.
More info: http://www.zerofive-antennas.com/

You can write your own review of the ZeroFive Antennas.

K5RIX Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2012 13:16 Send this review to a friend
R7 Base Assy Rebuild  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The fiberglass base insulator on my venerable R7 had deteriorated and was beginning to disintegrate. A repair using Rescue Tape fixed the insulator exterior, but not the worn out insulator itself which had become wobbly.

ZeroFive's rebuild service for these antenna base assemblies is excellent. The only original parts used in the rebuild are the matching network and brackets, the bottom hat brackets and hardware, and the mounting rings and hardware. Everything else is new and of outstanding quality. The rebuilt base assy is mechanically superior to the original by a degree of magnitude, both in materials and design. The rebuilt piece is far more rigid and mechanically elegant. The heavy main insulator is bullet proof, and the first foot of tubing above the insulator is double wall. Customer service and turnaround time were notably excellent as well.

If your R7 or R5 traps are still serviceable, I highly recommend this rebuild service.

KC7ES Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2011 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Fast repair service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tom rebuilt the base section of my Cushcraft R-7 vertical using oil impregnated nylon material as the insulator, provided new upper and lower tubes, all hardware, and mounted the matching section to the new base. This nylon material will far outlast the original fiberglass used as an insulator. I can't wait to re-build the antenna and get it on the air again. Quick and easy communications with Tom, and great turn-around time.

WA8DBW Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2010 07:16 Send this review to a friend
Best vertical I have used in 48years  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have been involved in Ham Radio for over 48 years. I have used many brand name as well as home-brew verticals. We sold our home and almost an acre and a half of land with 90 foot freestanding tower and antennas from 160 meters to 2.4 GHz and moved to a condo. No towers or attachments to the home are permitted. I have wire antennas 15 feet above the ground in the crawl space that cover 75 through 10 meters. They work but pick up a lot of noise.
I purchased tom's 30 foot Flag pole antenna and what a pleasure. It is by far the best constructed vertical I have ever seen. It came complete with everything necessary except the radials. It outperforms my dipoles in the crawl space in most instances. I have 28 radials ranging from 14 feet to 33 feet in length. I have plans to install additional longer radials. I mounted my antenna in 4 feet of concrete 12 inches in diameter. It should be noted that the antenna came complete with Flag and Halyard. I plan to post photos on my web site soon. http://wa8dbw.ifip.com
Dick WA8DBW

WX4QN Rating: 5/5 Sep 4, 2010 14:51 Send this review to a friend
40 METER 1/4 WAVE FREESTANDING VERTICAL  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
DX pileup buster.
Europe and Australia is an every day occurrence even with marginal band conditions.

I own this one:

I use this feedline current choke to reduce ground loss resistance:

I did not install any ground radials for this antenna.
Depending on your particular installation, your location and the condition of the soil surrounding your antenna you may or may not require ground radials with this antenna.

W0ODZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2010 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Custom 20 meter, 3 Element, Full size monoband , 5KW Yagi  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I talked to Tom, asking him if he would design a High Performance, 3 Full size elements, very heavy boom, 5KW rated, Yagi. I needed this built to withstand 100+ mph winds. And if he would build this would he build this like he was building this for himself! The answer was Yes! This is the very first, 20 meter monobander built by Zerofive Antennas! The boom is 18.5 ft. in length, boom dia. 2 1/4 inches, 1/8 thick, and the ends of the boom are 2 inch, 1/8 thick. This Yagi 3 Element beam tested, at 14.150 to 14.350, at 1.1 all the way across the 20 meter band width! The wieght of this Yagi is 62 lbs. f/b ratio is 24 db gain, with a forward ratio of 7 db gain. Wind surface load is 6 square ft. Turning radius is 22 ft.and the power rating is 5KW. All the mounting u-bolts are 3/8 inch dia. I,ve made several hundred contacts on 20 meters know, and this antenna works Perfect! Most of the contacts, that I,ve made, are outside of the United States, using 100 watts or less power, the reports come back with a 20 to 40 over S-9 report! I turn this Yagi and a 10-40 meter zerofive ground mounted verticle, with a tail twister rotor. This antenna is the very first monobander built by zerofive and can be seen on Zerofive Antennas web. site. All of Tom,s monobander yagi,s are Custom built one at a time! Very happy with Tom,s service, and what a great guy to talk to on the Phone! Thanks

KQ4YA Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2008 14:45 Send this review to a friend
Quality built  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm joining the choir here when I say that these verticals are pure quality. So is Tom.

I installed one of the 20-meter monoband verticals. Even with the rave reviews here (which helped me make my buying decision) the quality of the antenna is almost shocking. This is one sturdy vertical - overbuilt in the nicest sort of way.

Assembly is easy.

I ground-mounted my vertical, following Tom's directions (he answers e-mails almost instantly and also offered fine advice about radials by phone).

So far I just have 32 radials down - I'll probably add another 32. The antenna has been operational for just a few days but I've already worked several DX pile-ups with 5/9 reports.

I once used a Pro Mosely - no tower, no beam now - and it isn't suprising that a 1/4 wave vertical is not equal to a yagi. What is surprising is that in many cases I see no difference. I've used the vertical both with and without the linear and it seems to hold its own with most competing stations when working DX. I've (literally) never had a report below 5/7 and most are 5/9 or over.

Tom himself lives up to all the rave reports here. I'm glad I bought the 20-meter monoband vertical and am already planning to add the 40-meter monoband vertical and take my wire antennas down.

K3NC Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2007 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank and performs great!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I replaced a HF6V with this antenna and was stunned at the quality of workmanship and the strength of the material used. It went together quickly and there is a noticable difference in performance over the HF6V (when that antenna wasn't broken due to the doorknob capacitor).

The owner is a great guy and will do whatever it takes to help you.

But this antenna!

K0SF Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2007 06:11 Send this review to a friend
Great, Strong Design  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'll probably make Tom, N9ZV, moan but I claim to have the tallest Zero-Five vertical at 83' tall.

I had him build the custom 75', but then I cheated and put the mounting plate at the base for overall 83'. I have had it up since Nov '06; so far so good thru one winter and 50 MPH plus winds.

I will be phasing it against my Rohn tower to make a directional 2 el array for 160m. Look in future QEX for article.

Great design and construction, should last years. It is unbelievably easy to bring up and down, only 2 minutes on the supplied winch either way. You can't go wrong with this vertical !

Steve, K0SF

8R1EA Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2006 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Great Preformer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I was looking for some single band verticals to put on the beach close to salt water when I go on dxpeditions and found ZeroFive Antennas to fit the order. Tom has not only surpassed the way companies should treat customers but his products are made with the best of components and workmanship. You can tell he spends time on tuning the verticals before shipping because when I recently put up the 40 mtr vertical to his measurements, it was right on. Not only was it right on but sitting at the waters edge with nothing in the way of Stateside and Europe, it felt like I was running a KW. The reports that I was getting out of my K2 running 10w with the ZeroFive Antennas Vertical was nothing but astounding.

Thanks again Tom for some great verticals. I can certainly give you the credit for my recent score increases in contests.

Craig Maxey, AH8DX

N9PKI Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2005 02:41 Send this review to a friend
THE BEST!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had this 40 meter vertical about 6 months. And I have to tell you I am receiving excellent signal reports. I have been working many long haul DX stations that I cannot even hear on my inverted v at 40 feet. The build quality is nothing short of awesome .The tubing is very high quality aircraft aluminum. This vertical is very robust, no thin wimpy tubing here. I have installed 60 radials 45 feet long, the band width covers the whole band. Tom was a big help with any questions that I had regarding my installation. I highly recommend this company and Tom is a pleasure to do business with.
Thanks Tom