Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical
ZeroFive Antennas  Multiband Vertical Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $469.00
Description: A Multiband vertical for 10 to 160m,41 foot tall feed with your coax or ladder line,For use with a tuner,Made from 6063 t832 AL tubing,Requires radials,5kw cw,10kw ssb pwr handling,Freestanding,Comes with base insulator and tube.
More info: http://www.zerofive-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical.

KD8LXL Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2015 23:36 Send this review to a friend
WOW!!!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Were do I start: I have the 10-80 meter 43 foot ground plane. It has 6 aluminum radials that are 130 inches long that sit about 7 feet off the ground.

1- Customer service is 2nd to none, Tom answered all my questions, gave me a ton of advice and helpful hints before I even purchased this. I called him last week about something and he was still as helpful as ever 6 months after I purchased this.

2- Easy to setup and install- Me and 1 other fellow set this up in about 40 minutes, only needed some sawhorses to set it on as we assembled it and a stepladder to put in on the pole per the instructions. It took me longer to dig the hole for the mounting pole than to assemble the antenna. I also followed these Zero Five's instructions as well , I have 150 ft of coax between the antenna and my radio and I also use a external antenna tuner. ( LDG electronic tuner)

3- I do not have room for ground radials to work all the bands I want ----this is a compromise antenna---, this antenna sits in a 30' by 30 ' area ( that's all the room I had to work with) , with the 6 aluminum radials that are 130 inches long, it takes up just about all of that space, the radials do dip to about 6 feet off the ground at the ends of them. I also have it connected to the chain link fence that surrounds the 30 by 30 area.

4- Very, very sturdy, this well built antenna is freestanding. It went down to -15f this winter and a 71 mph gust during one nasty storm. This antenna will bend in the wind, but it always comes back to straight up and down.

5- Wow does this baby work, I used to have a wire about 40 feet in a tree before this. This thing way out preforms it, I made my 1st contact on 15m to Croatia 10 minutes after getting the antenna hooked up, I only run 100 watts but I make a lot of DX on it. SWR is about 1.5 across all bands ( less on 40 and 80) with the autotuner, it creeps up to almost 2 near the top of 10M , I can use my dentron super plus instead of the autotuner to get it to about 1.5 on the upper part of 10 though so no big deal IMHO . If I want an ancillary vertical antenna in the future it will be a Zero Five.

N5TF Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2015 12:43 Send this review to a friend
Best Buy Going on Vertical  Time owned: more than 12 months
These antennas are built rugged and you get a superb rotating mount which makes lowering and raising a breeze. For the money you will find no better aluminum 43' vertical anywhere, period! If I were in the market to buy another, I would not hesitate. I have had cushcraft, fiberglass push up verticals, and this beats them all for quality, ease of maintenance, etc. Get one of these and an aluminum radial plate with stainless hardware, radial wire, a piece of 6' galvanized water pipe, a ground rod and you will be in business.

NP4GW Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2015 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Gan' Ask For a beetter vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been impressed with Tom's input concerning this antenna. Zer0-Five customer service is superb, the quality of the antenna is impressive and it is very rugged. The design of this antenna is very simple and was very easy to assemble and raise.

Although I've only had the antenna up for a few days, I've noticed that it performs much better than my inverted L. Getting into Europe has been easy even considering the poor propagation. On 40 meters it works incredibly well. I'm running a TT JUPITER barefoot and using a LDG Z-100 Tuner.

I'd recommend this antenna to anyone who needs a reliable, well built, good performing antenna.

KB4BJM Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2015 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Tom is the best!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently had Tom modify the insulator of my Cushcraft R-5 vertical. Quick turn time, great work and excellent value. I still have his first year 43" vertical and it is still working and looking like new. It is by far the oldest antenna that I have kept. Thanks Tom...

KG0DB Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2015 06:04 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had the 43 foot vertical up and operating for about 18 months. I know things must be going well when other operators often ask, "What kind of antenna are you using?". I live in Colorado and the winters can be challenging for anything standing 43 feet in the air, with wind blowing at 35 m.p.h. at below zero temperatures. The Zero Five has withstood it all. I have about 45 radials out but have to "re-string" them every so often because the deer like to wander through the hillside where they lay. Not a big deal. I can honestly say that I've never failed to work at least one DX station every evening for the past six months. I'm going to call Tom and ask what this "phased array" is all about.

WI9Z Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2014 08:51 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding product  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
If you are in the market for a bullet-proof, multi-band vertical antenna, I urge you to consider the Zero-Five ground mounted 43 foot multi-band vertical. I previously used a Zero-Five 23 foot multi-band vertical mounted on a 20 foot mast on a very small city lot in Chicago. The antenna worked great on 80 through 10 meters. Earlier this year we moved to the suburbs of Chicago where I have more room. I telephoned Tom, the owner of Zero-Five. After reviewing my proposed antenna site Tom recommended the 43 foot fold-over ground-mounted vertical. I bought the antenna, installed it, ran radials and hooked the antenna up to my Yaesu FT DX-3000 and AT2K tuner. I now load 160 meters through 6 meters with no trouble. I get FB signal reports and could not be more pleased with the performance. The antenna has been in service for about three to four months so far and I know that with its rugged design, heavy duty construction and quality components that I will get years of reliable service with this set-up. If you are considering a vertical antenna for your station do not settle for lesser iterations of the 43 foot vertical. Get the best. Call Tom, buy the Zero-Five antenna that best suits your situation, and work the world.
Best DX, 73, and thanks Tom! de Joe, WI9Z

K9TWO Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2014 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had previously been using a homebrew 33 foot vertical strapped and insulated with white PVC tubing to a 4x4 post in the ground. It worked well but not enough length for 80 meters. I stay below 3.800 to stay away from the ex-CBers and their bad habits. I made my own base load out of a 20 foot piece of 1/4 inch copper tubing to get a closer match on 80. It now resonates at 3.5 mhz. This keeps the loss out of the feed line and the tuner. Electrically, the antenna is always grounded thru the base load coil to ground which consists of 3 ground rods bussed together and about 15 radials. The 43 foot antenna is built like a tank and easily laid down by one person. I am 68 years old and have no problems at all. I really like this antenna, very well built and can be assembled in 15 minutes without a manual.
Yes I use a homebrew UNUN at the base to keep RF off the coax. Also have 7 or 8 ferrite slugs on the coax right at the base load coil I made. It's all enclosed in a 12x12x6 PVC electrical box from Menards. The taps on the base load coil was easy to set up using my Comet CAA-500 analyzer.
I use 1.5 inch copper strap from the base load coil to the antenna and ground. The copper strapping is treated with anti-oxide compound because you can't connect copper to aluminum without problems. An SO-239 is mounted at the bottom of the box and I have a one inch length of white PVC to shield the SO-239 from rain. Will be glad to send picture of the box and plans if you would like You can get my email on QRZ. Still use my Palstar AT2KD tuner on some frequencies but without so much loss in the tuner and coax since it resonates at 3.5 mhz. Tuner is not in line when near 3.5 mhz.
No, this antenna won't work on 160 without huge losses unless you have a top hat or use it in an inverted L configuration. Your only kidding yourself trying. Of course I knew that before my purchase so am not blaming Zero Five. It's a great antenna.

Note: I recently added the 1:4 Unun and added 45 feet of wire to a nearby tree and converted it to an inverted L configuration. What a huge difference it made for DX And locals both. Worked G0EVY with 100 watts and Dave said I did not need an amp. The local 7160 group were all giving me great reports with the 100 watts. I can tune any frequency from 40 m thru 6m with the FTDX-3000 tuner and can tune 80 and 160 easily with my Palstar tuner smoothly. I use only about 30 feet of feed line and my antenna is only located about 15 feet from my station and my TV with no RF issues. Your mileage may vary. The 45 foot wire I added at the top is about 3 feet from the top under the hose clamp and use a 1/8 inch nylon
Line on the opposite side with a bungy cord to keep the antenna vertical. Can't even see the wire or nylon cord.

73 K9TWO Don Since 1959

KE2TR Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2014 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the Zero Five 43' vertical about 3 week ago, Tom had the antenna at my door three days later and man alive this antenna is built. Yes you need radials, a good Unun (use the Balun Design 4:1) plus a 8' ground rod and your set to go. Very easy to build and install and now that I have down 26 radials man this thing plays. I use it with a Palstar AT2KD and it makes for one sweet system, SWR on 20 is very close to 1.4 to 1, almost the same on 15&17 but 75,40 and 10 I use the tuner but its so broad banded that once tuned you can qsy over +-100Khz. One thing is for sure this antenna works the longer haul DX, its not the antenna for local rag chews but even on 75m it does a good job of working EU early and late during a band openings. I have up two loops at 70' which work well but this vertical does better on the longer haul contacts. Recommended for lots of fun working DX.

KENWOODUSER Rating: 5/5 Mar 7, 2014 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Great choice for an aesthetic, unguyed, multiband vertical  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OVERALL
This is a good antenna and I am very well pleased with it. Tom's support is good, as is the antenna quality. Price is ok.

STRENGTH
My criteria going in was to have a very strong, unguyed, aesthetic, multiband vertical antenna. This antenna has proven to have all of those qualities. It is indeed unguyed and I have watched it in flex in sustained winds with gusts up to 70mph. I thought it would come down but after having seen that, I realized it is as strong as advertised and I forget about it in the strongest storms.

Because it is so strong, no guys are required. It makes for a very clean install, which I don't mind looking at, nor do the neighbors.

TUNING
I have tuned it in the shack with the built-in autotuner on bands 80-10, although I mainly use the antenna for 40 meters. An remote base tuner should be used for best performance.

INSTALLATION
I installed about 1200sq ft of wire mesh under the antenna and overlayed the mesh with copper radial wires, which were bolted to the mesh. The mesh and radial wires are bolted to ground rods at the base of the antenna. The antenna is fed with over 100ft of LMR-400 direct bury cable, which passes through conduit back to the wall of the shack to a DXE panel, which houses a number of PolyPhaser surge arrestors.

PERFORMANCE
The antenna performs well-enough for my liking. I recently busted a pileup and made a 10,000 mile contact with the antenna. I've also made local contacts with it. As a vertical, it is noisier than the hex beam next to it on the same site and A/B tests are very easy to perform. Overall, I am happy with the way it performs. I probably wouldn't be if I had not installed the radial field/screen. A remote base tuner will only add to its performance.

SUMMARY
I would buy another one. In fact, I just may for another location.

G1PHK Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2013 12:51 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
we had 60 to 70 mph winds yesterday in the uk the wind did not change direction for hours, my 43ft vertical was bent double for hours, it finally came down, but this was no fault of the antenna it was the pipe supporting it which fractured, the antenna is lying in my garden absolutely flat, i`ve just knocked in a scaffold pole into the ground and will postcrete it in tomorrow and get this great antenna back on the bands