Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical Help

Reviews Summary for ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical
ZeroFive Antennas  Multiband Vertical Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $469.00
Description: A Multiband vertical for 10 to 160m,41 foot tall feed with your coax or ladder line,For use with a tuner,Made from 6063 t832 AL tubing,Requires radials,5kw cw,10kw ssb pwr handling,Freestanding,Comes with base insulator and tube.
More info: http://www.zerofive-antennas.com

You can write your own review of the ZeroFive Antennas Multiband Vertical.

K9TWO Rating: 5/5 May 25, 2013 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had previously been using a homebrew 33 foot vertical strapped and insulated with white PVC tubing to a 4x4 post in the ground. It worked well but not enough length for 80 meters. I stay below 3.800 to stay away from the ex-CBers and their bad habits. I made my own base load out of a 20 foot piece of 1/4 inch copper tubing to get a closer match on 80. It now resonates at 3.5 mhz. This keeps the loss out of the feed line and the tuner. Electrically, the antenna is always grounded thru the base load coil to ground which consists of 3 ground rods bussed together and about 15 radials. The 43 foot antenna is built like a tank and easily laid down by one person. I am 68 years old and have no problems at all. I really like this antenna, very well built and can be assembled in 15 minutes without a manual.
Yes I use a homebrew UNUN at the base to keep RF off the coax. Also have 7 or 8 ferrite slugs on the coax right at the base load coil I made. It's all enclosed in a 12x12x6 PVC electrical box from Menards. The taps on the base load coil was easy to set up using my Comet CAA-500 analyzer.
I use 1.5 inch copper strap from the base load coil to the antenna and ground. The copper strapping is treated with anti-oxide compound because you can't connect copper to aluminum without problems. An SO-239 is mounted at the bottom of the box and I have a one inch length of white PVC to shield the SO-239 from rain. Will be glad to send picture of the box and plans if you would like You can get my email on QRZ. Still use my Palstar AT2KD tuner on some frequencies but without so much loss in the tuner and coax since it resonates at 3.5 mhz. Tuner is not in line when near 3.5 mhz.
No, this antenna won't work on 160 without huge losses unless you have a top hat or use it in an inverted L configuration. Your only kidding yourself trying. Of course I knew that before my purchase so am not blaming Zero Five. It's a great antenna.

73 K9TWO Don Since 1959

KE0Q Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2013 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After considering a number of different vertical antennas, I decided to purchase and install a 43 ft. Zero-Five. In needed an antenna that covered multiple bands, was durable and did not require a lot of maintenance, an antenna that could be installed on a fairly small lot, and would keep the neighbors happy. The Zero-Five met the criteria.

I installed the antenna on a five foot 2" O.D. pipe cemented into the ground with 44 radials (40 - 25ft; 4 - 42ft.) using a radial ring made from copper tubing and a 8 foot ground round at the base of the Antenna. I'm using 100 feet of DX Engineering 400 MAX Low Loss Coaxial Cable which is buried and the Array Solutions AS-303U Lightning Arrestor located at the entrance of my shack and connected to the main ground round for my house. I also installed the optional MKII Mod which improves performance on the higher bands.

I have been impressed with Tom's input concerning this antenna. Zer0-Five customer service is superb, the quality of the antenna is impressive and it is very rugged. The design of this antenna is very simple and was very easy to assemble and raise.

Although I've only had the antenna up for a few days, I've noticed that it performs much better than my inverted L. Getting into Europe has been easy even considering the poor propagation. On 40 meters it works incredibly well. I'm running a Kenwood TS-590S barefoot and using a LDG KT-100 Tuner.

I'd recommend this antenna to anyone who needs a reliable, well built, good performing antenna.

K8WDX Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2013 07:34 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding still!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update review, after using this 57 foot vertical and the 27 foot vertical for the last several years, I can only say that it's performance is outstanding!! Customer service is top rated... I have gained the respect of the worldwide DX stations. I get into QSO's with these stations all the time, when others are lucky to get a report at all. I am right up there with the guys with the beams. just this morning I was on 40M working some VK stations with my friend in Florida. He has a tower with a Steppir at 60 feet. Me and my 57 foot vertical was consistently getting a 1 s unit better report, and we were both giving the same report back, my friend in Florida was running 1.2 KW, I was running 800 watts. not bad. "my friend was not real happy about that" I use to think the receive was a bit low, then I started asking what the antenna was the DX station was using. dipole @ 25 feet 80-100 watts, on 40M, from say South Africa. It was a miracle I could hear them at all. couple of weekends ago, worked 12 South African stations on 40M, all reports were 59+10. not bad. I am having so much fun with this thing, and If I go into the DX window on 80M and call CQ, instant pile up. I just need to get a beverage up for receive to cut down on the noise, not that the antenna is noisy, just the band. this is a very quiet antenna. No rotor or tower to worry about and it is built to last a lifetime. look for me on the air, my favorite place to call CQ is on 40M around 7160.00. BTW, DXCC mixed, WAC 5 band, 80M,40M,20M,15M,10M, and the 17M WAC endorsement. WAS Mixed, WAS Digital, DXCC Phone, and 3 short of DXCC Digital, a few short of DXCC 40M and 20M, all with casual operating and not trying, I only work'em if it is convenient. I don't switch bands to chase anything. I wont try more than three times to get a new one if it is close by, "I usually get them within the first two calls" If not I move on. I will not sit for hours trying to get that rare DX Expedition, No contesting, I turn the rig off during a contest, or go to 17M hi hi. this gives you some sort of an idea of how I operate. these awards are all through LOTW, except the WAC, I had those checked. I have only been somewhat chasing or even interested in these awards since 2010. Thanks Tom at Zero-Five antenna, all QSO's were made with the 57 footer for 40M-80M and the 27 footer 30M-10M, check out the pics at my qrz page. You just cant go wrong with this antenna. Unless you are a serious contester, then a tower and a multi element beam is in order... Tom K8WDX 73 my friends!!!

KB0LCO Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2012 19:03 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
51 countries last 23 days Nov 2012 on 100 watts, half of these were with no tuner. Including Russia, Japan, South Africa and Australia plus several DX expeditions. Great reports. Antenna is built like a tank, excellent workmanship - fine materials. Tom is a great guy to work with and order from. Assembly less than 20 minutes with screwdriver. Mine is mounted at 14 feet with no guides. Mounted in very open area, no water around all flat ground. Stands up to high winds good. Use to have a beam and this antenna does not disappoint me from that point. Very quiet and in Missouri I've heard Iran, Persia, and India. Very excellent value and highly recommended. Been operator for 25 years. Model "10 - 40 meters" but i've also worked some 80 on it. I would buy it over and over again and in my case don't regret losing my beam. Much more cost effective and no climbing or ice worries.

KQ0C Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 11:44 Send this review to a friend
My 80 meter champ  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the heavy duty 43-footer. In the summer I set it up in the traditional way and easily work just about anything I hear. But in the winter time I top load the antenna with a 28, or so, foot wire and use it as a resonant mono-bander on 80 meters. For that I route around the unun and feed it direct. In the recent CQWW I was easily working all over Asia on 80 meters while nearby contest powerhouses were calling and calling. Using this antenna as the basis for an inverted L where you don't have high enough trees to hang a traditional inverted L gives you a really powerful option. I have also top loaded it for 160 meters with good result. Zero Five makes taller antennas but these need much more complex installations, and the toploaded 43-footer gives you essentially all the performance.

W2LA Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2012 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Can't Ask For A Better Vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
OK. The only reason I'm writing so soon after installing this antenna is that I'm so excited about the results. The multitude of Zero-Five vertical owners have pretty much summed up everything I'd like to say, but I will say this- In the last 20 years, I've never had as much fun with this hobby as i've had in the last 6 weeks. I bust through pileups and qso with stations I've never even imagined talking to on my dipole. Thanks, Tom for putting out a FANTASTIC product at an affordable price. This 43 foot vertical ROCKS!

WG0I Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2012 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Update- GREAT!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wrote a review about my Zerofive 43 foot multiband vertical when I first got it about three years ago. This is an update. I am in the process of making a few modifications to it to improve the performance (located in a bad location). Don't get me wrong, it has worked GREAT over the past years! I have made 2000+ contacts mostly on 80/40 meters on the 3905 Century Club nets alone. Due to my small city lot, without this antenna I probably would have NOT been able to get on these bands! Anyway, the customer service/support is EXCELLENT!! Tom always responds to any questions I send him via email very, very quickly!! Last winter had a severe ICE storm! My Zerofive was coated with heavy ice and the top half was bent over almost at a right angle! I thought it might snap in half! Weather warmed up and the 43 foot vertical straightened right out to within about 15 degrees of vertical. A month or two after that it's like the aluminum tubing had "memory" and it went back to standing 100% vertical again! My antenna is currently not guyed. It is a very quality made vertical an I highly recommend Zerofive products to everyone! 73 and good DX!
Mike wg0i

ZL2ORA Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2012 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered and shipped quickly to St. Lucia. So easy to put together that my YL who is not a ham did most of the work. Ordered a custom 43 foot vertical for 80 thru 17M. Works fantastic. Great workmanship and highly recommended. Operating as J67ZF in St. Lucia

WB9JPH Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 09:31 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Preliminary Review - Antenna was put up in mid-December in a less than optimum location with the strangest shaped radial field in existence. The location is what was available and is what it is.

The antenna is well made and intuitively obvious to put together.

The antenna tunes up well and equals or exceeds my OCF dipole in performance.

I will do another review after I have more experience with the antenna and put down more radials.

On 80M local stations are 2 -3 S units stronger on the vertical than the dipole although some locals hear me better on the dipole than the vertical; other local stations copy the vertical better.

I am a satisfied customer and wish I had purchased the 43 vertical sooner than I did.

FWIW, Tom was going to build a full sized 80 - 10M ground plane antenna for me but I couldn't quite make the ground plane diameter fit in the available space so went with the vertical instead.

VE2SG Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 08:19 Send this review to a friend
Very satisfied  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using it for about 1 year now, this antenna is build like a tank and I have nothing negative to say about it; very solid antenna and survived a very rough Quebec winter with no damage.

For performance, I've been testing it in different configuration and different bands and the antenna works like a flamethrower on 40-30-20 meters when it's elevated feed at 15 ft with 2 radials 22 ft long (isolated from the mast) sloping down at 45deg angle. It makes it perform like a vertical carolina windom, swr is very acceptable on all 3 bands and I use a tuner in the shack with about 80 ft of RG213. SWR is below 1.5 to 1 on 40 m so I dont even use a tuner on that band.
Forget 160m, it doesnt work at all unless you add a coil at the base. 80 metres will work if you have a lot of gnd radials and if you match it at the feedpoint using a remote tuner.

On 17m to 10m, it doesn't work very well; I have a Cushcraft R5 to compare with and on RX, the 43ft is 2 to 3 s units lower compared to the R5. witch is normal beacause 43 ft is to long on the higher bands and has a much higher angle of radiation.