Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | Cushcraft MA8040 Help

Reviews Summary for Cushcraft MA8040
Cushcraft MA8040 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $310.00
Description: Vertical antenna for 80/40 with cap hat
More info: http://www.cushcraftamateur.com

You can write your own review of the Cushcraft MA8040.

AC0DV Rating: 3/5 Jan 21, 2006 23:27 Send this review to a friend
Good DX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Use a G5RV for my main antenna... got the MA8040 for a backup.. and also for the once in a blue moon weird DX contact that needs vertical versus horizontal.

As with a lot of verticals.. this is much noisier than the longwire.

In addition... as with verticals... be prepared to work on the ground system. It comes with a spool of 400' #18 enamel covered ground wire. Enough for 4 65' and 4 35' radials. You need probably 3 and maybe 4 times that many. (in my opinion.) I still only have the radials they sent put down. I can get a 2000' spool of #18 enamel magnet wire on the net for $60.00... so I'll have a LOT more radials in the spring.

On a few closer contacts.. went from S7-S8 to S2-S3 when switching from the longwire to the vertical. OTOH... on a few LONG DX (australia) contacts.. it didnt' change the receive/transmit by very much... so with more radials... this could end up being a much better DX antenna.

(I'm considering changing the 102' G5RV to a 140' Cobra Ultralite OR a 135' windom.. or a 135' end fed ZEP... or just a 135' 80 Meter dipole with ladder line feed. I can't decide on which. (Maybe build them all? hi hi.)

I'd buy it again... but I wouldn't use it as my "Main" antenna... only as a backup and perhaps an every now and again antenna to help out.

(RIght now I'm trying to use it with the MFJ 1026 noise cancelling signal enhancer... no luck yet.)

N4IN Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2005 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Job Cushcraft  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I installed this antenna in place of my old Butternut HF2V. I was very pleasantly suprised by the results, it plays very well on both bands. My HF2V always did a great job on 40M but lacked something on 80M, this was were the MA8040V shined. Very course this is not a head to head comparison. The construction of the antenna is quite light-duty and time will tell about how it holds up to weather and watts. My current impression is very positive though, as stated previously working DX stations on 80M that were previously unable to work. Will update if any dramatic changes. 73 Des

N6JET Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2005 17:31 Send this review to a friend
The perfect small lot antenna for 80 and 40 meters  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live on a small lot and did not have enough room to install all 8 of the recommended radials. I was able to install one radial for each band. I was very pleased with the performance of the MA8040. I compared it to my existing Hy-Gain DX-88 and the MA8040 definitely gives me bigger ears. I am very much looking forward to the 160 meter version, which they say will be out sometime soon.

W6PH Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2005 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent DX antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received one of the first production models just prior to the CQWW CW DX Contest. Assembly was easy and I installed it on the ground in my back yard according to the instructions. I set it up for the lowest part of 80 meters. My bandwidth came out to be 75 KHz. On 40 meters I could cover the whole band. I operated a total of 12 hours on all three evenings from my NH QTH. My location is in a depression with terrain rising in all directions except the south. The results were very gratifying. On 80 meters, I had 196 QSOs, 17 zones, and 70 countries. On 40 meters, I had 219 QSOs, 28 zones, and 85 countries. In particular, I worked 2 JA stations
on 80 meters which I never did before in the last 30 years from NH. With few exceptions, I was able to work everything I could hear. This antenna has four 66 ft radials and four 33 ft radials laying on the ground. Although the instruction manual states that two people are needed to erect this antenna, I was able to install it by myself without any problem. To go on 75 meters, it is necessary to adjust the top element which is very easy. My upper element dimensions are 72 inch for the lowest part of 80 meters CW and 34.5 inches for the lowest part of 75 meter phone. This antenna is only about 27 feet tall and is fairly inconspicuous. Now I am thinking of phasing two of them! A great performer for a small antenna.

K4VGA Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2005 15:40 Send this review to a friend
Great 40/80 meter vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very pleased with antenna, low SWR, easy/fun to assemble and very impressive looking overall. I would definately recommend adding this one to your antenna farm!