Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Centerfire Antennas Help

Reviews Summary for Centerfire Antennas
Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $9.00$-30.00$
Description: VHF-UHF
More info: http://www.centerfireantenna.com/index.html

You can write your own review of the Centerfire Antennas.

K5AHH Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2012 14:36 Send this review to a friend
Nice and Simple Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
--I ordered a GMRS vertical from Centerfire Antennas around 5 years ago. The antenna works as specified with plenty of bandwidth, and is rugged. While I do not see this antenna on the website any longer, I would not hesitate to order from them again. My order was shipped promptly, and they actually responded to my email (so many companies do not take the time to answer a simple email, and lose business because of that reason).

KB1SMG Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2009 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this after being disappointed with an Arrow 2 meter vertical mounted to a mast next to my house. I was just not getting into repeaters 20 or so miles away...

5 minutes to assemble the antenna, then I took down the Arrow 5/8's wave (from the 37 foot mast) and attached the Centerfire 1/4 wave (w/ radials, which the Arrow did not have) - before returning to vertical I tested it, it worked better than the Arrow, this while still horizontal and only 3 feet off the ground!! After returning the mast to vertical polarity it got even better.

This is a no-brainer, a 30 dollar antenna that does as advertised, period.

KI4SDY Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2008 20:36 Send this review to a friend
Discone Antenna Works Great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use this antenna indoors with a scanner and my 2 meter transceiver at work. For only $28.00, it works great! You could not build it for that out of parts. SWR is 1.2 TO 1.7 across the 2 meter band, registering 1.4 where I use it the most. It could be 1.1 if I shortened the radiator, but
it is used for too many things and I have not finished experimenting on other bands, with and without a tuner, so I am leaving it as is for now.

This antenna is fairly rugged and could be used for portable emergency use. Much better than the flimsy Radio Shack discone antennas at a higher price.

This discone antenna outperformed the magnetic mobile antenna I had added tuned radiators and a 1 to 1 balun to. It had a SWR of 1.5. The balun improved performance 3db on receive and transmit.

I put the same 3 inch, 6 turn hand wound balun in line with the discone antenna. It works great!

WL7MN Rating: 2/5 Jul 11, 2006 14:37 Send this review to a friend
ok, but not great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased one of these to put up at my dads place to get him on GMRS. I needed a quick and simple antenna, and this fit the bill. It was designed to work on the GMRS frequencies (462MHz), and did out of the box, but it was very difficult to get an acceptable match. Mounting bracket was pretty useless, looks like the old Radio Shack CB antenna 3/8x24tpi mounts. I was able to make it work, but a bit disappointed out of the box.

It works, I can say that. I got what I paid for, that's for sure, but I sure wouldn't buy another. Not sure how it will last over the years. Been up for about a year now, and OK.

I think if I was doing this again I get one of the mobile antenna adapter kits and just put that up.

K1DX Rating: 2/5 Sep 5, 2005 13:24 Send this review to a friend
Discone Scanner/2M antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It basically works. Construction is good/adequate. Mounting hardware is useless. I had to supply U bolts to attach to a "standard" TV mast. I doubt that it would mount on a 1" mast as the supplied bracket/bolts are way too short.
Electrically: 2m resonance is slightly above 148MHz with max length on the vertical stinger. It should be supplied with another 1/2" or so to bring resonance inside the band. SWR at 147MHz is about 1.6:1. SWR in VHF low and aircraft bands is typically 4:1. I guess it's ok for $24.95, but with better mounting hardware and another 1/2" on the stinger I'd give it a 4, considering the cost.

KC8ZTJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2005 18:27 Send this review to a friend
2 meter 5/8 wave  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the centerfire 2 meter 5/8 wave as a lightweight antenna for a portable RACES station. I have found it to be well built and durable. The mounting bracket allows it to attached to a mast or a flat surface. SWR in the midrange of 2 meters is below 1.5. Signal reports are very favorable. I'd buy another one.