Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Bonito Software Help

Reviews Summary for Bonito Software
Bonito Software Reviews: 15 Average rating: 1.6/5 MSRP: $$120-250
Description: Multi-mode Ham software
More info: http://www. bonito.net

You can write your own review of the Bonito Software.

PREZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2009 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Software  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm just a SWL but ...

My QTH is rural MD: 1-1/2 hours from Washington, DC.

I'm using RadioCom 6.0.

It works just great.

Man oh man, the interface on this 'ware is just too sexy for words. It's like having an extra radio in the shack.

I decode RTTY, Fax, Synops, and CW with ease. I can pick out individual HAMS in a pileup because I can use my mouse to draw an audio DSP filter to peak their tone.

The same "roll your own" audio filters applies to cutting away the noise to get at a Fax or RTTY or a LW beacon. Very nice.

Having several audio scopes for the input and output makes plain SWL a breeze. It's easy to see where slice away the QRN to get at an african or a latin.

On SSB I get good Air Traffic Control copy from San Francisco, Cairo, Khartoum, Nairobi and Brisbane, Australia. Again it's the audio DSP.

The audio DSP compares pretty good with the active dsp I sometimes use, which is a CLRdsp box into a Gap HEAR IT module into a Kenwood SP-31 filtered speaker.

My setup is fairly modest.
PC: a single core 3.7 GHz AMD 'chine (with a serial port). I have 1 Gig of RAM, and use an integrated soundcard.

Radio: an out of the box ICOM R-75 grounded to concrete entombed rebar.

Antenna: I flip-flop between my passive 4-foot vertical (from RF SYSTEMS) mounted 40-feet above ground on the roof. And a 40-foot wire (at 38-feet) in the attic that terminates into a Winradio Long Wire Adapter that presents a 50 ohm load to the R75.

Even under noisy conditions I get pretty good copy of RTTY, SYNOP, and CW.

I've copied CW Nav beacons all the way down to 198 kHz.

And the Faxes are clear and sharp. And easy too, because of an auto-detect feature.

I recommend getting a PC with a serial port, and porting the radio's audio to the microphone-in jack of the PC. Keep the radio's volume at low to medium to minimize distortion/overloading.

Yes, the manual could have been better translated from the German.

You have got read the manual front to back several times. And don't give up.

I recommend you get your hands on the excellent review of RadioCom 6.0 in the Dec '08 and Jan '09 issues of Monitoring Times.

Prez

DL8FAI Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2008 11:41 Send this review to a friend
works well on XP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had no problems installing and running RadioCom on older and newer desktops or laptops (WIN XP or older). Neither did a liner shipping company in Florida (using 25+ copies) or fishing vessels active in the Pacific or the US Navy, plus hundreds of SWLs or HAM operators worldwide.

The latest version RadioCom 6.1 needs lots of RAM and a fast CPU. Runs under XP + VISTA.

It helps to understand your computer and sound card. And I noticed that you have to have patience: most PCs are no race horses anymore.

PS: the US-distributor moved to Michigan (due to Hurricane Wilma).
Info at radiocom@computer-int.com

Cord, W8/DL8FAI

KD4LLA Rating: 0/5 Mar 12, 2008 18:55 Send this review to a friend
I am glad I did not pay for it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I would not give this crappy software away. No wonder Icom threw it in for free. I just cannot get it to WORK with my MS XP machine. Then I tried to find a contact person responsible so I can express my dislike--there is none! Cannot be found! The CD makes a nice coaster for my beer can though!

L_UMINA_EX_WT6G Rating: 0/5 Nov 9, 2004 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Worst Junk Ever!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I agree this is trashware. I returned the first package, but upon replacement it still does not function properly. Big issue is the "dongle" to stop you from making copies. Frankly, no one would want it! This software is not Microsoft compliant, the user interface is non-standard, non-intuitive, complex, and the product frequently fails with errors that are very uncommmon with Windows XP. In fact, this program has generated errors I've never seen before!

There seems to be some sensitivity between the dongle and certain serial ports. My PC is a standard HP unit which meets specifications and the dongle has worked, but not always, and because the software is not Microsoft compliant, other programs unknowingly may interfere with it.

The bottom line is that if you have a PC with nothing else running on it, plenty of time to spend debugging various configurations that iinteract with Bonito, and lots of patience and money to waste, this product is for you.

If you are a normal person, DON'T BUY THIS PRODUCT. You will lose your money, you won't get any use out of it, and frankly, as an EE myself, I'm not sure that the algorithms are correctly implmented. Unfortunately, I've not had the softwre working long enough to verify my suspicions.

It's now uninstalled from my machine. I'm running writelog here connected to 3 rigs, a power analyzer from medusa research, a D700 on packet - all serial - all work fine, even at the same time. I'm telling you this so you can understand that I have quite a large station, and I'm not a neophyte.

I recommend you do exactly what N7BUI says and TOSS IT!

N7BUI Rating: 0/5 Oct 8, 2004 20:40 Send this review to a friend
Toss it straight into the trash.  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning 2 different versions of the Bonito software all I can say is "TOSS IT!!!". This software has about the prettiest graphical interface that you will run across. That's where the compliments stop. I've used this junk on an Icom transceiver AND an Icom PCR-1000. I'm not sure what Icom was thinking when it was included in the package for the PCR-1000. The controls are extremely difficult to use and the audio spectrum analyzer is almost hopeless to use to tune a digital signal. It doesn't even have direct frequency entry!!! Even the most basic freeware available allows for that. Instead the software uses a "mouse drag" bar where I guess the idea is to stop somewhere in the range of the radio. When it came time to decode digital signals (when you could get them in the "decode window") it failed miserably. And to top it all off the manual reads like it was written by a 1st grade student while playing his Nintendo. MixW is by far a better program, that will decode many modes reliably.