Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Pacific Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Pacific Antenna
Pacific Antenna Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $79
Description: Multi-band portable vertical HF antenna designed by KA5DVS
More info: http://www.pacificantenna.com

You can write your own review of the Pacific Antenna.

KC0YEF Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2013 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Still being made   Time owned: more than 12 months
Works great, inexpensive, easy to maintain you do not need a tuner if you can measure and read a swr meter. This antenna is great for QRP qhich I use it the most for but works also on 100 watts just fine.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Sep 1, 2012 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Gotta be a 5  Time owned: more than 12 months
Sad to say this antenna is no longer being made.
Their easy to make and I made about 6 of them.
Copper end caps can be driven inside the proper size PVC riser and you can go an inch or more.
Just drill the copper cap and tap it and screw the rod in.
The Budd Vertical by W3FF is a very good replacment for just a few dollars more and W3FF also offers the 10 foot whip.
Excellent picnic table antenna
BOB
AF2Q

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 4/5 Aug 12, 2011 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Works well portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a re review of my previous post. I had a chance to use this antenna portable away from obstacles and in the field. I works fine and eliminates the need to run a wire up in the trees with only an s unit or two decrease in performance. I have coils for all bands 40-15 meters and have made contacts on all but 15. I use a tuner so no need to collapse the whip.

OLLIEOXEN27 Rating: 3/5 Jun 26, 2011 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Marginal but works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a re review of my origin review posted a week ago. I rebuilt all the coils per instructions in the njqrp group website but for the life of me can't seem to be able to find resonance on any band. I don't have an antenna analyzer and collapsing the whip to find resonance became exhaustive so I now tune all bands with a tuner.
The antenna works ok having made contacts on 20 and 30 meters running 100 watts.

For comparisons I matched it against an end fed half wave vertical hung from a 37 ft tree branch. With the Pac-12 a DL station was right at a noise level of S3. With the vertical half wave the station was a 5x5 with background noise of S1.

Comparison unfair? The end fed half wave is cheaper and although it requires a tuner at it's base the Pac-12 ended up requiring a tuner also. So the Pac-12 works but is clearly a compromise antenna solution. I can't see any way a qrp station running 5 watts would be impressed with it's performance unless they had no other antenna to compare it to.

K1OIK Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2010 17:49 Send this review to a friend
My first review was wrong  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used it for 3 years, great bang for the buck. Not perfect but more perfect than anything else

NI2S Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2010 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Simple lightweight portable that works  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Been using this antenna for the winter now as my home QTH antenna has been on the ground.

As a portable antenna, this one is hard to beat. Lightweight and collapses into a small package for transport.

The only reason I don't give this antenna a 5 rating is because I find the ground stake too thin and bend-able when you are trying to drive it into hard ground. If the ground stake were made out of a larger diameter, that would be an improvement.

I don't recognize BV2DQ's You tube demo model from Pacific & I don't see his antenna pictured on Pacific's web site. The BV2DQ version has a beefier ground stake like what I had in mind. That said I wouldn't recommend pounding on the threaded end of an alum. ground stake like that. I'd get a nut or perhaps two to protect the threads while hammering into the earth.

W8MKH Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2010 18:54 Send this review to a friend
5 YEARS STILL ROCKS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my pac 12 for a 5 years now
and love it
I have worked all over the world with it at 5 watts or less
Never a problem .
Worked Spain,Italy today 5 watts with my 817
also have used my 40m pixie at 350 mw and have worked 38 states and into south america

BV2DQ Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2010 22:06 Send this review to a friend
excellent, 10 mins installed.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm enjoy outdoor QSO because easy installation, easy tune for SWR from 70cm~80m.
I'm using a 41.5 meters DP+AH4 tuner, and Pac-12 antenna for vertical.

It's coveraged for all bands QSO.
see my youtube installation guide. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8_8e3emU1Q

73 de BV2DQ/ KD8MBE
in Taipei, Taiwan.

NN1F Rating: 5/5 Jan 31, 2010 10:17 Send this review to a friend
my new Pac 12  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my PAC12 a few weeks ago. Built in one evening. Got it on the air the next day and was suprised to get a contact from it sitting in my den with a 25' counterpoise wire. I did not use the 4 counterpoises as suggested as I have the buddipole and used the one from that antenna.
I also have the MP1 antenna. This antenna is faster to erect and to use in different locations. AS far as I am concerned, this antenna is much better that the other antennas I use for travel and around the neighborhood. I would highly recommend this antenna, especially for the price compaired to the other prices. I tip my hat to you on this antenna. Great job!!

K4TL Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2009 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I chose to build the kit and it went together easily. The metal parts are very nicely machined and everything fits. I wound the 20 meter coil first which didn't require any adjustment to lower the SWR. Put the antenna in my back yard with three 16' radials and worked everyone I could hear in a CW contest with no more than ten watts! I like it.