Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | N4PY DX Spots Help

Reviews Summary for N4PY DX Spots
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Free to registered N4PY users
Description: A DX cluster/logging/tracking program tightly integrated with the N4PY suite of programs.
More info: http://ww.n4py.com

You can write your own review of the N4PY DX Spots.

NU4Q Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2004 15:01 Send this review to a friend
must have for jupiter owners  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you haven't tried N4PY's DX Spots software and you own a Ten Tec Jupiter, you are missing a fine program. Even though I use computers and software quite a bit for work and Ham radio, I am often uneasy with installing new programs and learning to use them. Easy to set up and use, Carl's program has got me interested in DXing again. It works in convenient tandem with the N4PY Jupiter radio control program. Click on the DX frequency in the window and the program immediately plugs it into the Jupiter making it easy to bounce around the bands.
Thanks, Carl!

Michael NU4Q

W9OY Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2004 12:52 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using this program for a couple of weeks and I find it quite useful. A description from the help manual speaks to the objective of the program:

"The main goal of the program suite is to provide real time DX spot information, easy setting of the radio to the DX spot frequency, automatic and manual checking of the DX spot against the user's DXCC records and DXCC, WAS, and grid square record keeping. There is also a way to import a cabrillo log file into the program to get your logs and DXCC statistics converted to N4PYLog format quickly. Once you have your log data imported into N4PYLog, your DXCC records can be automatically updated from your log information."

This how I use it in my day to day operation. To use the program, you need at least one instance of an N4PY rig control program running. A spot on the cluster comes up you want to work, lets say a pile up that is up +2. You hit a button next to the spot, and the rig is whisked to that freq and mode. On my Orion, I hit a key on the POD (remote tuning device) which activates a macro in the N4PY rig control software than places my Orion in split mode, and turns on the dual receive. I then hit a 2 and it sets my VFO B up 2. In the headphones, I can hear the DX station on one VFO, the pileup on the other VFO and I can readily tune to QSO now in progress.

Once the QSO in progress is over, I make my play and if I'm lucky, I hit the log button. This brings up the log program, the Station's call sign, freq and mode and some other data are already entered. I enter the exchange and any other info (like name) I want and hit log. In the meantime I'm checking the cluster for the next contact.

If I'm tuning the band, I can enter a spot and send it to the cluster, or I can use any of the standard cluster commands to review the data on the cluster. The log program has a graphical representation on the main screen that keeps you up to date on your needs. It does just what is stated in the above description, and above all itís free to all registered N4PY users. For me it has been a lot of fun to play with, and enhances the utility of my already excellent N4PY rig control software. Just another example of Carl's creativity, and the value he adds to his software.