Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-440S/AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-440S/AT
Kenwood TS-440S/AT Reviews: 98 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200 price class
Description: 160-10 Meter HF Transceiver/Auto Tune
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

KJ4RZZ Rating: 5/5 Jan 12, 2017 03:47 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, owned many of them  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm on my 5th TS-440. I've purchased them over the years,some in poor condition, restored them, used them for awhile, and then sold them for a small profit. I purchaed one recently which was in mint condition with a high serial number (90600 i think) and it does not have brown sonybond goop, but instead a white wax. This one is a keeper and will never get sold. This is now my main radio :)

I'm surprised to read of people selling the TS-440 because the dot problem was "too expensive to repair". I've fixed several of these myself... you simply chip the old brown glue away with a pick. I could teach my 12yr old to do it.

The trick though to getting a good working TS-440 is to pay attention to the details. A lot of deformed screw heads, missing screws, bent panels, are signs that someone has been inside the radio with poor skills. Knowledgeable people dont strip screws or pry apart cases. Steer clear of a beat up radio unless the owner can prove its working correctly and the price is under $300.

Look for the cleanest unit you can find and ask that the seller transmit with it until it feels warm to verify it is working. I have one TS-440 now with a bad IF board which stops transmitting after 5 minutes (even in receive mode). The deformed screws and bent case was a clue something was going to be wrong.

I wouldnt worry about the dot problem its not a hard problem
to resolve. The temporary fix is just to leave the radio on for a long time (use it often) to keep the glue from absorbing moisture.

If the radio doesn't transmit, or is stuck in transmit, or has intermittent transmit... these are radios to avoid unless you want a project.

The beauty of these old radios is that that circuit boards are single sided discrete components. Very easy to repair and find parts for if you know how to troubleshoot a circuit.

As for peformance, these radios sound great as is and can be improved further by adding a DSP to the audio output.

KC0EKQ Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2017 00:25 Send this review to a friend
Great RX, too  Time owned: more than 12 months
You can read all about the famous 'dots' issue and other generally easy-to-resolve aging issues with this radio in other reviews and all over the internet in the right places... but for this review, I'm focusing on an aspect I don't see mentioned too often in regards to the 440...

It has an excellent receiver.

By itself, its RX earns it an eham 5, solid.

The TS440 was made at the same time as the much-venerated Kenwood R5000 receiver, and as such the 440 has very similar high quality of receive audio, selectivity and sensitivity.

I've used the TS440's TX for many years, and it's certainly solid Kenwood in the TX department... but I've used it far more often just for RX, either as a separate receiver while ragchewing and DXing, or just SWLing. It is just a pleasure to use.

Certainly it's a workhorse rig, a well-respected transceiver for a lot of solid reasons, but even if you only used it as a receiver, you could hardly do better with any other transceiver from its era, and in many cases even modern rigs.

For RX alone, a great big ol FIVE from this old radio man.

KB0HAE Rating: 3/5 Sep 24, 2016 22:02 Send this review to a friend
Could be good...or not  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I owned one of these briefly a few years ago. Turned out it had the famous "goop in the VCO) problem. Too expensive to have fixed, so I sold it for parts.

R2ABT Rating: 2/5 Feb 7, 2016 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Bad luck  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first TRX ever… Bought it as soon as I licensed. Have been happy for about a year and a half. Then so called “dot-problem” appeared. Had it repaired at Kenwood’s authorized dealer. In three-month time, the problem appeared again. Then over again. Repairing was a beating a dead horse... Nice radio. Nice receiving. Nice transmitting. Easy to operate. Nevertheless, much too old.

73! Peter R2ABT

KD8VQH Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2015 07:56 Send this review to a friend
love the radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have my TS-440sat for 2 years now. I started with a HTX100 after taking part in Skywarn Recognition
Day 2 years ago. That got my feet wet for HF and only having my Tech class 28.300 to 28.500 wasn't enough. Getting my 440 was motivation to upgrade to General. Mine has the dot issue, but it is has been left on for a while it goes away. I did the RF power mod and added 2 filters, and added the MC-85 desk mic. I love the radio and always get good reports on the audio. Our club does a 10 meter net every week and my 1st time using the 440 on the net everyone as what I did to the HTX100. I know I will use this radio for a long time. My next radio will be the TS-2000

W4VFZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2015 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Easy to operate and service.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having been a ham since 1952, I've tried just about every radio out there, and Kenwood has always been a delight to own, operate, and service. It keeps up the tradition of Drake, Hammalund, National, etc.

Particularly in the area of service (which ALL radios need, sooner or later), the Kenwood TS-400 series feature "fold-out" boards and assemblies. You can get at every section without having to unsolder anything!

From an operating standpoint, it has all the "bells and whistles" that you'll really need. Bottom line: I have three TS-440SATs, and am "care taker" for three more of them!

W4BDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2015 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Simple & Ready  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very simple and ready to go where you need it! I had my 440 for over 4 years now and it has served me well, it misses a lot of great features from many modern rigs but still hold its own. If you are looking for a reliable radio and easy to operate in any conditions then this could be a solid candidate for you! You can find many on the web for sale but be careful and ensure that the one you buy has been serviced recently and all issues taken care of. Jankeelectronics from WI sells this rigs totally refurbished and guaranteed. I highly recomend them, they totally refurbish them before posting an ad on ebay. Great field day radio or even mobil use. For their current price in the market I consider this rig a great buy since it will not break your back pocket and will provide you with many years of Kenwood sound both on Rx and Tx. 73'

K6JMQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2015 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 440SAT for about two years. I bought mine from the original owner and it was all stock with no mods.

The 440 is great radio for newbies or those on a tight budget. It has classic Kenwood audio quality and the receiver is pretty good given how old the RX technology used in this radio is. The antenna tuner works well as long as the "native" SWR of the antenna is 2,2 or under. This radio shines on wire antennas. I DX and I routinely get compliments on the signal/audio quality. One of the pluses is there are no annoying menus to deal with!

After about a year of flawless service the "dot problem" showed up on my radio. I sent it to Cal Fisher in TX for repair and had him make a series of mods and upgrades. You should be aware that if the dot problem has not been fixed already, there is a high probability it will occur. The cost of the repair and mods including shipping was about $275 (US).

The 440SAT is good radio and there are plenty of them out there. My advice is don't buy one that has not had the dot problem fix done by a reputable service tech (you can research them here on eham).

M6RIK Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2014 16:02 Send this review to a friend
A real workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-440S/AT was my first HF radio after passing my foundation UK licence back in 2011.

I bought it from a club member and it cam with an MC60 mike and and SP-23 speaker for £350.

I didn't get on with the MC-60 so purchased a brand new kenwood mc43 hand mike for about £25

Worked most of Europe on this radio set at 10w from my UK home and was always very happy with it as a base rig. I took it mobile a few times but found it cumbersome.

Sold it after about a year, and bought a Yaesu FT817ND because i wanted to do more portable operating.

The Kenwood TS-440S/AT is great, i now own a couple of other Kenwoos Radios because this radio was such a great pleasure to operate.

KC2QYM Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Saved from the Junkyard   Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes it's true! Five years ago a good friend who's a computer dumpster diver was meadering through his town's recycling center and came across a TS-440/SAT sitting very proudly with the hand mic on top of a cardboard box as if on display. We surmised that the family of a silent key brought it there but they set it up in such a way to encourage someone to give it a good home. When my friend brought it to me my jaw dropped; it was in perfect condition, clean as if new, no scratches anywhere, no grit on the knobs and the mic was like new. I was amazed at the newness of the rig. Well I put it on the air and the rest is history. As others have pointed out the rig receives and transmit's great. I'm not a perfectionist but this rig suits my needs quite well. Not only was it a freebe but like many of my other rigs that have belonged to slient keys it has an honored place on my desk.