Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-440S/AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-440S/AT
Kenwood TS-440S/AT Reviews: 90 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200 price class
Description: 160-10 Meter HF Transceiver/Auto Tune
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

M6RIK Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2014 16:02 Send this review to a friend
A real workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-440S/AT was my first HF radio after passing my foundation UK licence back in 2011.

I bought it from a club member and it cam with an MC60 mike and and SP-23 speaker for 350.

I didn't get on with the MC-60 so purchased a brand new kenwood mc43 hand mike for about 25

Worked most of Europe on this radio set at 10w from my UK home and was always very happy with it as a base rig. I took it mobile a few times but found it cumbersome.

Sold it after about a year, and bought a Yaesu FT817ND because i wanted to do more portable operating.

The Kenwood TS-440S/AT is great, i now own a couple of other Kenwoos Radios because this radio was such a great pleasure to operate.

KC2QYM Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Saved from the Junkyard   Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes it's true! Five years ago a good friend who's a computer dumpster diver was meadering through his town's recycling center and came across a TS-440/SAT sitting very proudly with the hand mic on top of a cardboard box as if on display. We surmised that the family of a silent key brought it there but they set it up in such a way to encourage someone to give it a good home. When my friend brought it to me my jaw dropped; it was in perfect condition, clean as if new, no scratches anywhere, no grit on the knobs and the mic was like new. I was amazed at the newness of the rig. Well I put it on the air and the rest is history. As others have pointed out the rig receives and transmit's great. I'm not a perfectionist but this rig suits my needs quite well. Not only was it a freebe but like many of my other rigs that have belonged to slient keys it has an honored place on my desk.

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2014 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio, workhorse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was gifted with one. I'd previously solved the
dots problem for the former owner, the usual glue
issue but it was a coating that was not obvious
visible material but a solvent wash of the area
solved it.

The radio has a lot of the must have modern
features for crowded bands. TIY, XIT, Notch
are nice to have and IF shift is handy as well.

In general a great radio and I find it a handy
grab radio for portable uses and mobile. A bit
large compared to current offerings but solid.
It has an excellent receiver and gets good
reports off the stock hand mic. The antenna
tuner is effective but not wide range maybe 3:1
maximum.

Definitely a keeper and gets regular use.

If you find one grab it. If it has dots its a
known condition and generally easily repaired.
The result is a very useful, robust, and far
from minimal radio for HF.

EB3DVA Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2014 03:22 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this new transceiver at the end of its production, and therefore no longer has the problem with the "dots".
He was for many years my only HF transceiver. And still the main radio equipment. I have an Icom for my car but I really only operate this fabulous device.
In all these years, only had a problem; some diodes that have crossed the BPF. With less than a euro, this radio was again operational.

Over 20 years and 99.99% of the time running!

KB0BOP Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2014 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 440S/AT for $500 plus $30 shipping. It came with the internal antenna tuner, voice synthesizer, CW and SSB filters. The DOT problem had been eliminated, new capacitors installed in the PLL, white LED bulb installed in the meter and new memory battery. In addition, the switches and contacts were cleaned, the radio was realigned and the antenna tuner was cleaned and realigned. Also, the 10Hz frequency, MARS and improved receive sensitivity modifications were done. I did my part by installing the IC-10 chips for computer control. I got the radio around August of 2012. I haven't had a bit of problems with it. I usually work the SSB circuit. I've gotten good reports on my transmitting and reception is excellent. This is a good radio for anyone from rookie to veteran. It's worth it to pay a little more for one that has had all the problems fixed and the accessories that I got. Just have to be patient until one comes along. This radio is a good little booger.

G0RDO Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Had one 22 years ago - now own one again.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I had a TS-440SAT 22 years ago but sold it (Mistake). Just bought one this January that needed some repairs, fixed those faults and also added a CW & SSB filter and an ATU. Wow ! What a good receiver it has - and the layout of the front panel is very good too. Working split is a doddle, and Memory store etc. simple. I have owned a few rigs in the last 22 years (one costing 2,000) and I love the TS-440SAT by far.
This transceiver I am keeping !

KJ4RZZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2014 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Owned several, can be problematic but great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a TS-440 as an upgrade from my TS-140S. The radio is great, more memory and filter options, AFSK, built in tuner, etc, compared to the TS-140S.

However there are some downsides. While the TS-140S has a power slider which is separate from mic gain (good for data modes), the 440 has only mic gain in SSB. You can do a mod to make the carrier knob work in SSB, but it then only works between 1 and 3, so you have a very limited range of the knob to control power output. Secondly, the data input on ACC2 port has a very low gain, a signalink usb or packet modem can barely drive the input. You again need to mod the radio, to swap AFSK IN and the DATA pin to get digital modes to work well (if using the ACC2 port). Lastly, there is the dreaded dot problem. 2 out of 4 I've owned has had it. I was able to fix it, but it took a long time and was time consuming and frustrating. If one is really interested in data modes I'd almost recommend the TS-140S over the TS-440S, but then you'd need the AT-250 to have an autotuner.

The fantastic auto tuner in the TS-440SAT is the reason I keep coming back to it. I admit I also like the look of it... it just looks so sharp. I guess I'm just stuck in the 80s.

PU5JGR Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2013 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Excelent   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my Kenwood TS-440S/AT second hand on the ebay equivalent in Brazil for just over US$780,00 which by Brazilian current prices is cheap. I have been a ham radio enthusiast since 1988 and found this radio apart from being well built and robust extremely reliable.The audio reception is fantastically clear and the frequencies are very stable with no oscilations. This radio is by far the best equipment in my schack.

AE5SB Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2013 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 440 SAT w/PS at a local hamfest for $400 and I must say it is an excellent rig to about 30 years old. Came with no filters so I installed a YK88C and started to search for a yk88SN as I had just sold one. I discovered a YK88sn-1 will work so for less than $100 more I installed the filters, IC-10 chip-set(from jameco)and USB control interface. Plus a digital mode interface. So for $500 I have a very nice all mode station. I have owned a lot of 430's and I must say the 440 is even better. Oh, a previous owner appears to have fixed the dot problem or this is a late model as the glue is wax(white). I got this in April and it now late May and I am having a blast.
Not I am not a beginner and I don't consider this a starter rig. For those looking at DSP consider the 940 455khz filter in place of the one in the 440. It was already done in this rig and I must say IT WORK!!!
73 all

N6CIC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Fine Little Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my TS-440S on eBay about six months ago and it has been a fine rig for me. It came without the Auto Tuner, so I bought one on eBay and installed it myself-works like a charm. My rig has two optional filters-1.8 KHz narrow SSB filter and 500 Hz CW filter. I really like the filter combinations especially for CW. I use an MC-50 microphone for which I have a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter and it works great. The only negative is no internal CW keyer, so I use an external keyer. My next project is to add DSP as I have seen many of the reviews on how that improves an already very fine radio.