Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Kenwood TS-440S/AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-440S/AT
Kenwood TS-440S/AT Reviews: 95 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200 price class
Description: 160-10 Meter HF Transceiver/Auto Tune
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

R2ABT Rating: 2/5 Feb 7, 2016 13:51 Send this review to a friend
Bad luck  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first TRX ever… Bought it as soon as I licensed. Have been happy for about a year and a half. Then so called “dot-problem” appeared. Had it repaired at Kenwood’s authorized dealer. In three-month time, the problem appeared again. Then over again. Repairing was a beating a dead horse... Nice radio. Nice receiving. Nice transmitting. Easy to operate. Nevertheless, much too old.

73! Peter R2ABT

KD8VQH Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2015 07:56 Send this review to a friend
love the radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have my TS-440sat for 2 years now. I started with a HTX100 after taking part in Skywarn Recognition
Day 2 years ago. That got my feet wet for HF and only having my Tech class 28.300 to 28.500 wasn't enough. Getting my 440 was motivation to upgrade to General. Mine has the dot issue, but it is has been left on for a while it goes away. I did the RF power mod and added 2 filters, and added the MC-85 desk mic. I love the radio and always get good reports on the audio. Our club does a 10 meter net every week and my 1st time using the 440 on the net everyone as what I did to the HTX100. I know I will use this radio for a long time. My next radio will be the TS-2000

W4VFZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2015 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Easy to operate and service.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having been a ham since 1952, I've tried just about every radio out there, and Kenwood has always been a delight to own, operate, and service. It keeps up the tradition of Drake, Hammalund, National, etc.

Particularly in the area of service (which ALL radios need, sooner or later), the Kenwood TS-400 series feature "fold-out" boards and assemblies. You can get at every section without having to unsolder anything!

From an operating standpoint, it has all the "bells and whistles" that you'll really need. Bottom line: I have three TS-440SATs, and am "care taker" for three more of them!

W4BDX Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2015 13:10 Send this review to a friend
Simple & Ready  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very simple and ready to go where you need it! I had my 440 for over 4 years now and it has served me well, it misses a lot of great features from many modern rigs but still hold its own. If you are looking for a reliable radio and easy to operate in any conditions then this could be a solid candidate for you! You can find many on the web for sale but be careful and ensure that the one you buy has been serviced recently and all issues taken care of. Jankeelectronics from WI sells this rigs totally refurbished and guaranteed. I highly recomend them, they totally refurbish them before posting an ad on ebay. Great field day radio or even mobil use. For their current price in the market I consider this rig a great buy since it will not break your back pocket and will provide you with many years of Kenwood sound both on Rx and Tx. 73'

K6JMQ Rating: 4/5 Mar 17, 2015 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 440SAT for about two years. I bought mine from the original owner and it was all stock with no mods.

The 440 is great radio for newbies or those on a tight budget. It has classic Kenwood audio quality and the receiver is pretty good given how old the RX technology used in this radio is. The antenna tuner works well as long as the "native" SWR of the antenna is 2,2 or under. This radio shines on wire antennas. I DX and I routinely get compliments on the signal/audio quality. One of the pluses is there are no annoying menus to deal with!

After about a year of flawless service the "dot problem" showed up on my radio. I sent it to Cal Fisher in TX for repair and had him make a series of mods and upgrades. You should be aware that if the dot problem has not been fixed already, there is a high probability it will occur. The cost of the repair and mods including shipping was about $275 (US).

The 440SAT is good radio and there are plenty of them out there. My advice is don't buy one that has not had the dot problem fix done by a reputable service tech (you can research them here on eham).

M6RIK Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2014 16:02 Send this review to a friend
A real workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TS-440S/AT was my first HF radio after passing my foundation UK licence back in 2011.

I bought it from a club member and it cam with an MC60 mike and and SP-23 speaker for £350.

I didn't get on with the MC-60 so purchased a brand new kenwood mc43 hand mike for about £25

Worked most of Europe on this radio set at 10w from my UK home and was always very happy with it as a base rig. I took it mobile a few times but found it cumbersome.

Sold it after about a year, and bought a Yaesu FT817ND because i wanted to do more portable operating.

The Kenwood TS-440S/AT is great, i now own a couple of other Kenwoos Radios because this radio was such a great pleasure to operate.

KC2QYM Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2014 07:11 Send this review to a friend
Saved from the Junkyard   Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes it's true! Five years ago a good friend who's a computer dumpster diver was meadering through his town's recycling center and came across a TS-440/SAT sitting very proudly with the hand mic on top of a cardboard box as if on display. We surmised that the family of a silent key brought it there but they set it up in such a way to encourage someone to give it a good home. When my friend brought it to me my jaw dropped; it was in perfect condition, clean as if new, no scratches anywhere, no grit on the knobs and the mic was like new. I was amazed at the newness of the rig. Well I put it on the air and the rest is history. As others have pointed out the rig receives and transmit's great. I'm not a perfectionist but this rig suits my needs quite well. Not only was it a freebe but like many of my other rigs that have belonged to slient keys it has an honored place on my desk.

KB1GMX Rating: 4/5 Nov 16, 2014 09:30 Send this review to a friend
Excellent radio, workhorse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was gifted with one. I'd previously solved the
dots problem for the former owner, the usual glue
issue but it was a coating that was not obvious
visible material but a solvent wash of the area
solved it.

The radio has a lot of the must have modern
features for crowded bands. TIY, XIT, Notch
are nice to have and IF shift is handy as well.

In general a great radio and I find it a handy
grab radio for portable uses and mobile. A bit
large compared to current offerings but solid.
It has an excellent receiver and gets good
reports off the stock hand mic. The antenna
tuner is effective but not wide range maybe 3:1
maximum.

Definitely a keeper and gets regular use.

If you find one grab it. If it has dots its a
known condition and generally easily repaired.
The result is a very useful, robust, and far
from minimal radio for HF.

EB3DVA Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2014 03:22 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this new transceiver at the end of its production, and therefore no longer has the problem with the "dots".
He was for many years my only HF transceiver. And still the main radio equipment. I have an Icom for my car but I really only operate this fabulous device.
In all these years, only had a problem; some diodes that have crossed the BPF. With less than a euro, this radio was again operational.

Over 20 years and 99.99% of the time running!

KB0BOP Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2014 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 440S/AT for $500 plus $30 shipping. It came with the internal antenna tuner, voice synthesizer, CW and SSB filters. The DOT problem had been eliminated, new capacitors installed in the PLL, white LED bulb installed in the meter and new memory battery. In addition, the switches and contacts were cleaned, the radio was realigned and the antenna tuner was cleaned and realigned. Also, the 10Hz frequency, MARS and improved receive sensitivity modifications were done. I did my part by installing the IC-10 chips for computer control. I got the radio around August of 2012. I haven't had a bit of problems with it. I usually work the SSB circuit. I've gotten good reports on my transmitting and reception is excellent. This is a good radio for anyone from rookie to veteran. It's worth it to pay a little more for one that has had all the problems fixed and the accessories that I got. Just have to be patient until one comes along. This radio is a good little booger.