Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-440S/AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-440S/AT
Kenwood TS-440S/AT Reviews: 87 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200 price class
Description: 160-10 Meter HF Transceiver/Auto Tune
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

EB3DVA Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2014 03:22 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this new transceiver at the end of its production, and therefore no longer has the problem with the "dots".
He was for many years my only HF transceiver. And still the main radio equipment. I have an Icom for my car but I really only operate this fabulous device.
In all these years, only had a problem; some diodes that have crossed the BPF. With less than a euro, this radio was again operational.

Over 20 years and 99.99% of the time running!

KB0BOP Rating: 5/5 Jul 21, 2014 15:28 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 440S/AT for $500 plus $30 shipping. It came with the internal antenna tuner, voice synthesizer, CW and SSB filters. The DOT problem had been eliminated, new capacitors installed in the PLL, white LED bulb installed in the meter and new memory battery. In addition, the switches and contacts were cleaned, the radio was realigned and the antenna tuner was cleaned and realigned. Also, the 10Hz frequency, MARS and improved receive sensitivity modifications were done. I did my part by installing the IC-10 chips for computer control. I got the radio around August of 2012. I haven't had a bit of problems with it. I usually work the SSB circuit. I've gotten good reports on my transmitting and reception is excellent. This is a good radio for anyone from rookie to veteran. It's worth it to pay a little more for one that has had all the problems fixed and the accessories that I got. Just have to be patient until one comes along. This radio is a good little booger.

G0RDO Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2014 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Had one 22 years ago - now own one again.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I had a TS-440SAT 22 years ago but sold it (Mistake). Just bought one this January that needed some repairs, fixed those faults and also added a CW & SSB filter and an ATU. Wow ! What a good receiver it has - and the layout of the front panel is very good too. Working split is a doddle, and Memory store etc. simple. I have owned a few rigs in the last 22 years (one costing 2,000) and I love the TS-440SAT by far.
This transceiver I am keeping !

KJ4RZZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 18, 2014 18:26 Send this review to a friend
Owned several, can be problematic but great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased a TS-440 as an upgrade from my TS-140S. The radio is great, more memory and filter options, AFSK, built in tuner, etc, compared to the TS-140S.

However there are some downsides. While the TS-140S has a power slider which is separate from mic gain (good for data modes), the 440 has only mic gain in SSB. You can do a mod to make the carrier knob work in SSB, but it then only works between 1 and 3, so you have a very limited range of the knob to control power output. Secondly, the data input on ACC2 port has a very low gain, a signalink usb or packet modem can barely drive the input. You again need to mod the radio, to swap AFSK IN and the DATA pin to get digital modes to work well (if using the ACC2 port). Lastly, there is the dreaded dot problem. 2 out of 4 I've owned has had it. I was able to fix it, but it took a long time and was time consuming and frustrating. If one is really interested in data modes I'd almost recommend the TS-140S over the TS-440S, but then you'd need the AT-250 to have an autotuner.

The fantastic auto tuner in the TS-440SAT is the reason I keep coming back to it. I admit I also like the look of it... it just looks so sharp. I guess I'm just stuck in the 80s.

PU5JGR Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2013 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Excelent   Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my Kenwood TS-440S/AT second hand on the ebay equivalent in Brazil for just over US$780,00 which by Brazilian current prices is cheap. I have been a ham radio enthusiast since 1988 and found this radio apart from being well built and robust extremely reliable.The audio reception is fantastically clear and the frequencies are very stable with no oscilations. This radio is by far the best equipment in my schack.

AE5SB Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2013 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought a 440 SAT w/PS at a local hamfest for $400 and I must say it is an excellent rig to about 30 years old. Came with no filters so I installed a YK88C and started to search for a yk88SN as I had just sold one. I discovered a YK88sn-1 will work so for less than $100 more I installed the filters, IC-10 chip-set(from jameco)and USB control interface. Plus a digital mode interface. So for $500 I have a very nice all mode station. I have owned a lot of 430's and I must say the 440 is even better. Oh, a previous owner appears to have fixed the dot problem or this is a late model as the glue is wax(white). I got this in April and it now late May and I am having a blast.
Not I am not a beginner and I don't consider this a starter rig. For those looking at DSP consider the 940 455khz filter in place of the one in the 440. It was already done in this rig and I must say IT WORK!!!
73 all

N6CIC Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2013 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Fine Little Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought my TS-440S on eBay about six months ago and it has been a fine rig for me. It came without the Auto Tuner, so I bought one on eBay and installed it myself-works like a charm. My rig has two optional filters-1.8 KHz narrow SSB filter and 500 Hz CW filter. I really like the filter combinations especially for CW. I use an MC-50 microphone for which I have a 4-pin to 8-pin adapter and it works great. The only negative is no internal CW keyer, so I use an external keyer. My next project is to add DSP as I have seen many of the reviews on how that improves an already very fine radio.

W2JAW Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2013 07:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Transceiver now with BHI DSP  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Kenwood TS440S Transceiver on Ebay for $386.99 Shipped. So for under $400.00.

It developed the Dot problem two days later. So looking up how to fix the problem, I took it apart and cleaned the glue out of VCO 5. That fixed the problem, and now it's dot free. So that's now a permanent fix.

It came with both an SSB Filter which is the SN version (Narrow) and a CW Filter already installed on the IF board.

It also came with the VS-1 Voice unit installed, and the IC-10 Chip set installed. The Memory battery is new as well.

It looks as though it was hardly ever used as both inside and outside it looks factory new.

I just replaced all of the case screws with new ones, just because I wanted to and I had the metric screws on hand to do so.

The Frequency display mod for 10Hz has been done.

The full receive and Transmit on all frequencies 1.8 to 30Mhz has been done.

I ordered a QSY'er and built the QSY'er kit to use with the Kenwood, since it has the IC-10 Chips installed. Now the QSY'er can remotely control frequency entry, Mode, change from VFO A to VFO B, run threw memory channels and other commands.

The best single improvement or install into the unit has been the BHI NEDSP1061-KBD DSP (Digital Signal Processing) Unit with 4 Level and 8 Level Modes.

This allows the Kenwood TS440S to have DSP, like the more modern rigs do.

I have posted several videos of this on youtube if you wish to upgrade your Kenwood TS440S with the BHI DSP Unit.

I call it the Kenwood TS440S/DSP now.

It's so great how quite all the bands are from 160 Meters to 12 Meters. The DSP unit on Level 4 blocks ALL static, Hiss and noise on the band.

The DSP works for all bands and all frequencies, LSB, USB even AM, CW and FM.

In AM it will take just the voice portion and allow that though, whilst blocking all other noise, such as Music.
Good for wanting to hear a broadcast like Australia on 9.580Mhz in the Morning here in the States, but blocking all music so that you can hear just the announcers. You can always turn it off to hear the announcers and all other sounds in the background.

I love this Kenwood TS440S/DSP and for the price you can't go wrong.

John..

W2JAW

OH2BT Rating: 4/5 Jan 11, 2013 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Nice to have a DIY repairable rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am a DIY-ham but decided to have also a factory made transceiver on my desk and to my camper car.

Second hand TS440S seemed to be a good economic solution for me. It is constructed using mostly discrete components so DIY repair, upgrades and modifications seemed to be possible.
Not yet SMD components in TS440S

Some advantages of TS440S without super-dupers:
TX gain can be reduced for QRP/QRPp.
Computer control is possible. (HRD works nicely)
Can be operated in camper from 12V carbattery.
Built in accssory ATU (saves PA in nonideal SWR cases).
Fan is silent and very seldom operates
Enough memory channels for favourite band/frequency selections and modes.
Doesn't suffer birdys.
Doesn't suffer images.
Lots of repair hints in net. You need not to invent the wheel once more.
Reasonable price in second hand market.
Accessory filters are widely available in ebay
Scanned user and service manuals are available in net for free.

Disadvantages of TS440S:
CW is not possible with lsb SSB station.
ATU doesn't work in 1.8 MHz.
PCB material is vinyl.
Available manuals have poor print resolution.
Manipulating phaselock oscillator nr 5 circuit sooner or later becomes mandatory.
Not very easy to reach front panel potentiometers for necessary contact spraying.

My conclusion.
I don't swap this KW work horse to some $e3 or $e4 rig at least in the near future.

73 Risto oh2btatsral.fi

K5VAH Rating: 5/5 Aug 8, 2012 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Good Transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have had 3 of these over the years. 1st one developed the DOT problem and after performing a reset it went away. The 2nd one also had the DOT problem as time went but I had to remove the glue in both VCO1 & VCO5 to fix it. As others have removed most of the components on these boards I decided to use tri-clor and gently rince away the old now conductive glue with good success and it works great now. The 3rd has not had any issues as of yet. For the price I feel that the TS-440S is a good buy and it performs with the best of them. I believe that it's features are plenty adequate for most operations. The TS-440 is approximately 26 years old but still ticks with the best of them out today. If you can get a good working one on todays market for under $400 then you can be proud.