Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-440S/AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-440S/AT
Kenwood TS-440S/AT Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200 price class
Description: 160-10 Meter HF Transceiver/Auto Tune
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

KC7NYI Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 21:23 Send this review to a friend
good old unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
receive my radio today, e bay.. radio is in great shape. great receiver. cant believe someone took this good of care. good buy!!!this is my third, first costed a lot more.

K8WRS Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2012 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Granted, I have not had the dot problem.
Although the Auto Tuner has now failed the overall performance of the rig has been great.
That failure may sound bad but consider the age.
What makes it great is the receiver when used with a quality speaker is of very high quality.
I have owned many newer Kenwoods and they do not stack up well to the low background noise of this radio.
Don't listen to the internal speaker to judge as it as most is quite tiney.

Though most have not had the pleasure of using the old TS-530 or TS-830 which were and still are the best rated Kenwoods of all time, the TS-440 comes closest to that receive quality.
And as all Kenwoods the trans. audio always gets great reports.
Maybe I got an unusual one but I would not give it up.
Bought it used in the original double box at a hamfest.

KC9UER Rating: 4/5 Jan 20, 2012 19:49 Send this review to a friend
It's a work horse  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First off, let me say, yes it has the dots problem sometimes. Now, dots problems aside. I have a 440S/AT. This radio works, functions, and performs very very good.

I have not used it on any digital modes, or CW mode although I will in the future. The xmit reports I get back are always great. The recieve is also great.

I have not experienced the mode key bump jumps as some have experienced. Even though I have the internal tuner on this rig, I run a MFJ-962C Versa Tuner III. No problems at all tuning through the bands on a dipole cut for 80M.

I can honestly say, if you can find one of these rigs for under $350.00 get it. Make sure though if you do, find out if it has Dots on Display. If it does, and you are good with cleaning the goop and a soldering iron, you will have a heck of a rig that performs as good or better than some of the new stuff coming out.

Of course this is my honest opinion and my PERSONAL opinion from my own experience. Please if you consider gitting one of these rigs or are looking for one of these rigs,either make sure, 1. you research Dots on Display. 2. Understand this is a 80's rig. 3. A great working TS-440 will not leave you stranded. JMHO

73, Dennis

K8JAG Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2012 08:33 Send this review to a friend
A great first rig for a new General  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new General Class ham. I upgraded on November 3, 2011. Keep that in mind when you read this review.

This is my first HF rig. Being new to HF, I started looking at all of the new radios available to me. To say I was overwhelmed is a understatement.

A dear friend and Elmer gave me this radio to use and to call my own. As soon as I saw it I fell in love with the sheer simplicity of this radio, (compared to today's High dollar radios). Also due to the fact that my first Elmer WD8U (SK) had the TS-430 which he let me use on occasion.

When I set this radio up, it took very little time to do. The hardest part in fact was dealing with the mess of wires my new shack has under the operating table. Before long I was on the air making contacts. I was impressed with the ease of use, and the decent receiver, and I also was getting good remarks on my audio.

The radio came with the autotuner installed, and I also have a MFJ Versa-Tuner feeding a G5RV. Tuning first with the MFJ and then using the autotuner it didn't take long for me to get a good match on that antenna. It must have been good, I have logged DX to Germany, Belgim, and the Cannary Islands just to name a few.

I also have purchased a SignaLink USB to use with the radio using mainly PSK31 and RTTY. The radio handles the digital modes flawlessly as far as I can tell.

Does this partiular rig have any issues at all, well yes, it does have the key bounce issue, but since I very rarely use direct frequency input I really don't notice this problem all to often. I also plan on working arround that shortcomming by installing the IC-10 and ACC2 to USB cable to control the radio with HRD.

Are today's radios better then this radio, well they have features the TS-440 doesn't have. The one I wish I had the most was DSP, but I have learned to work without it. Can a ham, new or old get many hours of enjoyment from this radio, absolutetely!! It is very dependable radio, very easy to use, and very easy to upgrade and use today's modern digital modes and computer control with minimal fuss.

I have a feeling this great old radio will be spending many years in my shack and will be used on a daily basis. I have never used any Kenwood equipment except for this TS-440SAT, but if their modern radios are half as good as this radio is, well, Kenwood must make great equipment.

WK1N Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2011 20:31 Send this review to a friend
It has been great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine new in 1989 and have never had a single problem with it. It even sat around for 10 or more years while I did other hobbies, but now that I am back on the air I am thrilled with it's ability to get out as well as receive. I have been on the air with a G5RV for about two months and have worked 85 countries. Quite a few are new ones as I did get a DXCC mixed back in 1990. I am now just beginning to look into RTTY or the newer PSK modes. I don't think I will ever change.

JP1DJV Rating: 5/5 Aug 9, 2011 00:17 Send this review to a friend
Still Good enough  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had many sorts of HF rigs, from TS-520 to IC-7700. We can recently buy a TS-440S/AT at very low price. But it still has fairly good performance. You may think the audio in and out are a little bit hard. You may face PLL unlocked problems time to time. You may feel a necessity of more functional features. That is TS-440. But it will surely tell you what you need AT LEAST. I'm satisfied with mine.

KC9RLG Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2011 16:29 Send this review to a friend
great starter and keeper  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this as my first HF rig when I became a General. It's easy to operate and keeps up with the big boys. I'm the third owner of this rig and it's older than my son in college for a rig that still is valued between $300-$500 you can't go wrong. There are still lots of them out there and many dedicated owners they'll probably be around for awhile longer.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Jan 15, 2011 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired one of these rigs which has an International Radio cw filter installed. I also own a K3 and a Pro2. After using the 440 for a week or so I have put my modern DSP rigs in the closet. I can hear and work the same stations on the 440 (without dsp or a menu system) that I can on the K3. The QSK works very well and the shear simplicity of the 440 is a real joy. I am thinking of selling the high dollar rigs and just keeping my $400 TS-440. If you can find a good one you really can't go wrong with one of these radio as a primary or secondary rig. I have owned numerous radios and the 440 is my favorite.

NX8P Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2010 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig. . . even today!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my TS-440S since about 1991 and it is still going strong. I recently interfaced it with my laptop and wired the 13 pin accessory jack to work with an old Kantronics TNC. All works great! Voice, CW and digital. . . all good. Computer control of rig works great. If you can find one of these radios in working condition you won't go wrong picking it up.

KC2ULM Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2010 15:31 Send this review to a friend
Newbie-First HF Rig-- Awesome!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am brand spanking new to HF, and have just gotten a TS-440S (no autotuner). I threw up a G5RV jr in the back and have been having a ball with it. As someone who's just dipping their feet into HF for the first time, the controls seem very logical and make sense to me. I can Rx very well, and have made contacts up to 900 miles so far (not doing too much til I get a tuner, don't want to blow anything up.) I love looking at this rig, it really is a thing of beauty. I see what folks mean now when they say it is a great starter rig. It is!