Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-440S/AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-440S/AT
Kenwood TS-440S/AT Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200 price class
Description: 160-10 Meter HF Transceiver/Auto Tune
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

G7WBB Rating: 4/5 Nov 19, 2003 11:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mu TS440s minus the auto atu unit...found after they are so rare or impossible to find!The radio performs really well and puts out well above the 100 watts on all bands.Did have a problem with the tuning mechanism this seized up but I got hold of a new unit easily and fitted this in around an hour.I have modded the SSB power control so that the Mic gain is left where its set and the carrier control adjusts the SSB power as in the AM and FM. all this involves is a diode cut. All reports on the audio and signal are always good,even on the standard fist mike.I use the radio thru the AT230 tuner and this works extremely well tuning almost anything I use (Long Wires etc)All in all a good all round radio

WB5CON Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2003 14:03 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought mine new back in 1986. Got the CW filter and tuner. Radio has been a solid performer, great transmit and receive audio. I've used it mostly at home, but also mobile and Field Day operation. Used it a lot on SSB, CW, and digital modes. Some on AM and FM. Tuner has always worked well. Keypad bounce has been somewhat aggrevating but seems to only be a problem after not using the rig much. Biggest problem has been the synthesizer coming unlocked. Since 1986, I've had to align the VCOs 3 times. It is still my main HF rig, with no plans to replace it.

N5BEA Rating: 2/5 Apr 6, 2003 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Great product if you are a tech. Inherient problem.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, I bought it brand new way back when.. I bought a couple of expensive filters.. It had superior audio and a good rock stable reveiver. Shortly after the warranty period expired my audio reports began to become poor at times. The problem became progressivly worse and more frequent. I discovered that the radio has an inherient manufacturing defect that KENWOOD will not acknowledge or correct. They would repair, for a fee. The front end has various parts encased in a "rosen". After a period of time the rosen breaks down and becomes conductive,when warm. The result? All the symtoms of an unstable power source or power supply but, they all check out fine. An unstable tone on CW. A "whirly bird" sounding audio on phone. Kenwood was wrong not to recall the radio and make repairs.
This experience makes me cautious of Kenwood Service and Kenwood products. This in in great contrast with Ten Tec products and service. I have been dealing with the same technicions for 20 years with help on do it your repairs on even old used products.. This is why Kenwoood has to advertise so much to maintain it's image.

KF4OHV Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2002 12:56 Send this review to a friend
work horse.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my firts ,TS-440S/AT for $500.00 dollars.after 5 years of use,I sold to a fellow ham.
I bought a FT-840 but I don't like and now I bought again another TS-440S/AT.The tuner is very
fast and working good.I and very happy with this rig .

KC8QNO Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2002 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a nice Radio. I always get good reports and have had no problems with it as of yet. I bought it used for $400 and use it often. It works very good on the Digital modes such as PSK31, SSTV, and packet. I reccomend this rig to anyone.

NT9E Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2002 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Super Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for almost 12 years now. And only had 1 minor problem with the auto-tuner. It would not tune up on 10m after a couple of weeks(favorite band at the time). I took it apart and opened up the tuner and found that the relay for the 10m band was kind of melted so I figured it was non-functional and went to my local OMRON dist office and picked up a couple of(min 6)relays (with same specs)and replaced the relay. No problem since then.

K0JPJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2001 16:37 Send this review to a friend
A bargain if cared for....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just read the last two reviews of the 440SAT. And I can agree in part with both. I have had three since their inception. All were outstanding in performance. But there were quirks that caused me to work on them myself. The most costly was failure of the antenna tuner.

In a weak moment....senior moment I believe is the
current phrase....I bought a new module. After receiving it and starting to remove the old one I found the problem to be only a cold solder joint.

Now have a spare module on hand for when one really goes out which from conversations with many 440 owners am sorry to say does happen as the rig ages.

Another quirk of some 440s that will drive you screaming up the wall is key pad bounce. The right hand batch of push buttons seem the most prone to this. It is exemplified by pushing the T-F button for example and having it either do nothing or switch and then switch back. Conversations with others who have encountered this led to two cures short of a factory trip...possible cures I should say. Pull the panel, remove the entire module containing the push buttons and carefully saturate them with contact cleaning and before it dries work the dickens out of the switches. I tried that one first....it did help a great deal but not all push buttons responded to the cure.

The other is to obtain a complete keypad module and install it. I called Kenwood and then took a couple of heart pills to get back to normal Since that was a couple of years ago I won't mention the price because I feel sure it has changed. Granted this is a complex module and I won't render judgement as to the 'value' of it's replacement cost but it was more than I wanted to pay.

I picked up a very poor 440SAT that was mobile in a major accident. From dash it wound up being torn lose and exiting through the hatch glass. I had only one hope....and my wish was granted. The keyboad module was perfect. An hour on the bench and it was swapped into the troublesome rig and in the two years since no problems at all.

One last strange problem has eluded me. After about 18 months my latest 440 has quietly gone quite dead on normal CW. For some reason the gain when using any CW filter dropped by well over half. Having several used and a couple of new 250 and 500 cycle filters in the parts closet I tackled the problem expecting a quick fix. Not to be. Eight filters acted the same way. I put each in another 440 and they work fine. A careful diagnosis of the printed circuit board gives no clue of a problem. Not using this particular rig on SSB I made some drastic mods to kick in the CW filter instead of one of the phone filters. It works...but I'll keep attacking the final solution until either it or I are exhausted!

Given a normal, clean, everything-working 440S/AT I would find no fault at all with it and would expect years of very satisfactory use. I note the price has dropped on used ones. Even more of a bargain.

Before someone asks....yes it does workon SSB, the compressor is highly effective but annoying to the listening unless your in a pileup. I am
CW and digital modes so outside of testing that portion of the rigs I can't say further.

Addons: The International Radio (old Fox Tango group I believe) have some filters with sharper skirts that are very good. Before buying a factory filter I would suggest pricing theirs. Also they have a very neat PCB that will drop the tuning speed to very slow for use in digital and CW pileup use. There is one transistor that I have had trouble with but R. Shack makes one that works.

KA0W Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2001 15:55 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE RIG!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased used in excellent condition with YK88S and YK88C filters installed for $440. Using about 5% keying compensation to clean up the CW note in QSK. The 440S/AT is no Omni VI+ on CW, but for the price I am very pleased with it on CW. Sounds very good in the shack on CW. The rig came with an apparently untouched MC-42S hand mic. The AT works well, but don't need it with my open line. SSB may work well also, but I do not know how to plug in the mic. Glad I bought it!

REMOVED_K1IU Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2001 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Great radio but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TS-440 new in 1988, and it served me very well for about 4 years of quite heavy use. Then it developed PLL problems, and some trouble with the VFO function and band selection buttons. When working, it was one excellent radio. Just be sure to give one you might be considering a careful examination, on all bands and testing all controls.

N7GB Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2001 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice Unit!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one used for a linking project I'm working on. A nice radio with very good tx/rx. They are going for around $400 on the used market. Don't think you can find a nicer radio out there with a built in tuner for that price.
I do have one question,
Is there a way to store a split freq. into memory?
I work 10 fm and this would be handy.
Gary