Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-440S/AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-440S/AT
Kenwood TS-440S/AT Reviews: 96 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200 price class
Description: 160-10 Meter HF Transceiver/Auto Tune

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

KF4OHV Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2002 12:56 Send this review to a friend
work horse.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my firts ,TS-440S/AT for $500.00 dollars.after 5 years of use,I sold to a fellow ham.
I bought a FT-840 but I don't like and now I bought again another TS-440S/AT.The tuner is very
fast and working good.I and very happy with this rig .
KC8QNO Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2002 16:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a nice Radio. I always get good reports and have had no problems with it as of yet. I bought it used for $400 and use it often. It works very good on the Digital modes such as PSK31, SSTV, and packet. I reccomend this rig to anyone.
NT9E Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2002 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Super Workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine for almost 12 years now. And only had 1 minor problem with the auto-tuner. It would not tune up on 10m after a couple of weeks(favorite band at the time). I took it apart and opened up the tuner and found that the relay for the 10m band was kind of melted so I figured it was non-functional and went to my local OMRON dist office and picked up a couple of(min 6)relays (with same specs)and replaced the relay. No problem since then.
K0JPJ Rating: 4/5 Dec 29, 2001 16:37 Send this review to a friend
A bargain if cared for....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just read the last two reviews of the 440SAT. And I can agree in part with both. I have had three since their inception. All were outstanding in performance. But there were quirks that caused me to work on them myself. The most costly was failure of the antenna tuner.

In a weak moment....senior moment I believe is the
current phrase....I bought a new module. After receiving it and starting to remove the old one I found the problem to be only a cold solder joint.

Now have a spare module on hand for when one really goes out which from conversations with many 440 owners am sorry to say does happen as the rig ages.

Another quirk of some 440s that will drive you screaming up the wall is key pad bounce. The right hand batch of push buttons seem the most prone to this. It is exemplified by pushing the T-F button for example and having it either do nothing or switch and then switch back. Conversations with others who have encountered this led to two cures short of a factory trip...possible cures I should say. Pull the panel, remove the entire module containing the push buttons and carefully saturate them with contact cleaning and before it dries work the dickens out of the switches. I tried that one did help a great deal but not all push buttons responded to the cure.

The other is to obtain a complete keypad module and install it. I called Kenwood and then took a couple of heart pills to get back to normal Since that was a couple of years ago I won't mention the price because I feel sure it has changed. Granted this is a complex module and I won't render judgement as to the 'value' of it's replacement cost but it was more than I wanted to pay.

I picked up a very poor 440SAT that was mobile in a major accident. From dash it wound up being torn lose and exiting through the hatch glass. I had only one hope....and my wish was granted. The keyboad module was perfect. An hour on the bench and it was swapped into the troublesome rig and in the two years since no problems at all.

One last strange problem has eluded me. After about 18 months my latest 440 has quietly gone quite dead on normal CW. For some reason the gain when using any CW filter dropped by well over half. Having several used and a couple of new 250 and 500 cycle filters in the parts closet I tackled the problem expecting a quick fix. Not to be. Eight filters acted the same way. I put each in another 440 and they work fine. A careful diagnosis of the printed circuit board gives no clue of a problem. Not using this particular rig on SSB I made some drastic mods to kick in the CW filter instead of one of the phone filters. It works...but I'll keep attacking the final solution until either it or I are exhausted!

Given a normal, clean, everything-working 440S/AT I would find no fault at all with it and would expect years of very satisfactory use. I note the price has dropped on used ones. Even more of a bargain.

Before someone asks....yes it does workon SSB, the compressor is highly effective but annoying to the listening unless your in a pileup. I am
CW and digital modes so outside of testing that portion of the rigs I can't say further.

Addons: The International Radio (old Fox Tango group I believe) have some filters with sharper skirts that are very good. Before buying a factory filter I would suggest pricing theirs. Also they have a very neat PCB that will drop the tuning speed to very slow for use in digital and CW pileup use. There is one transistor that I have had trouble with but R. Shack makes one that works.
KA0W Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2001 15:55 Send this review to a friend
GREAT LITTLE RIG!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased used in excellent condition with YK88S and YK88C filters installed for $440. Using about 5% keying compensation to clean up the CW note in QSK. The 440S/AT is no Omni VI+ on CW, but for the price I am very pleased with it on CW. Sounds very good in the shack on CW. The rig came with an apparently untouched MC-42S hand mic. The AT works well, but don't need it with my open line. SSB may work well also, but I do not know how to plug in the mic. Glad I bought it!
K1IU Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2001 19:34 Send this review to a friend
Great radio but...  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my TS-440 new in 1988, and it served me very well for about 4 years of quite heavy use. Then it developed PLL problems, and some trouble with the VFO function and band selection buttons. When working, it was one excellent radio. Just be sure to give one you might be considering a careful examination, on all bands and testing all controls.
N7GB Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2001 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Nice Unit!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one used for a linking project I'm working on. A nice radio with very good tx/rx. They are going for around $400 on the used market. Don't think you can find a nicer radio out there with a built in tuner for that price.
I do have one question,
Is there a way to store a split freq. into memory?
I work 10 fm and this would be handy.
K7LA Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2001 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Workhorse With Great Audio Reports  Time owned: more than 12 months
This unit is a workhorse rig with great audio reports. It's a bargain in the used rig market, especially if it includes the PS-50 power supply and filters. Tunes up great. Very pleased.
KG4HUP Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2001 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Nice, Powerful Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is one nice rig, it is powerful always puts out well over 100 watts generaly arond 125 on most bands. The built in tuner is great. Speech processor nice. Notch is very useful but touchy turn very slow or you will pass over it. I have talked to people all over the world that still use this rig, they always sound fantastic. I think this was one of there best products. I have the PS-50 power supply an SP-430 speaker HS-5 Headphones,MC60 mic this is the perfect match. I think it really does look better than any of the rigs made in 88-89. Work Great!!!!!
KD4TWP Rating: 4/5 Aug 8, 2001 19:18 Send this review to a friend
It`s great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Well just a few lines about my Kenwood 440,when i first took it out of the box i said "Noway" this thing has to many bottons and knobs,but after i hooked it up to the matching ps-50 and it`s little lights come on i got a big grin on my face.well of course the manual was sitting beside me closed."I dont need no stinking manual" :) well i hit the auto tune and it zipped right to the 1.2:1 good deal i thought.Well all is working fine and it is the best radio i`ve had and this makes i think #14.
I give this rig a thumbs up and all 5 fingers.
Thankx and 73`s Tom/KD4TWP