Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Kenwood TS-440S/AT Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-440S/AT
Kenwood TS-440S/AT Reviews: 86 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1200 price class
Description: 160-10 Meter HF Transceiver/Auto Tune
More info: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

WB7QXU Rating: 3/5 May 17, 2001 06:05 Send this review to a friend
Good Rig at First  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had this rig for some time ago and it worked great at first, the Automatic tunner was awlsome and really worked great. Overall the rig was good rig but compared to my Icoms it did not sound as great. The Biggest problems is when It got about 10yr old it had lots of problems in the Display and VCO ckt which had to be rebuilt by Kenwood for about $350. The Service at kenwood was by far one of the worst nighmares i had. The radio had to back 3 times before they got it Right. Once back the First time they failed to fix the inadvertant FMing on 10m while in SSB mode. and Back it went. When It came back this time, They failed to fix the AutoTunner which was having trouble. The Radio Sat in Kenwood Repair for a Long time before returning it to me, Each time I had to re-ship it to them at my expense, and Give them a new note on the problem and reexplain to them the problems. and They took month or so to return it to me. It was a spare rig so I did not need it. After 3rd time it finally came back fixed on and off about 6 month period. I loanded to a local Club to use on Field day and it worked fine, One of the operators Bought it from me and has had good luck. Overall It was a total Loss but I just wanted to get rid of Dealing with Kenwood. My Last Kenwood.

N5ZQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2001 00:16 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had mine for about 9 months now. It has seen quite a bit of action in that time. I did have to send it to the shop for an alignment. (Something that I had screwed up) It works great! The receiver is excellent!

KK7GP Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2000 17:30 Send this review to a friend
Can you say "Workhorse"?  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first used a TS-440S/AT in college at the University of Arizona club station WA7IYG (since changed to K7UAZ). I worked so much DX and stateside on that rig that they called me the DXMF (think about it). I loved it so much that I bought one of my own, but being a poor college student, I sold it about a year later for food money :( That's life, I guess... The only reason I'm giving this a '4' rating is that I once had a problem with the auto-tuner that required a visit to the repair shop. It only cost $50.00 to fix, but still... I think I'd buy the 450 now if I had the chance...

N8HUL Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2000 09:17 Send this review to a friend
Solid performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just sold my TS-440S/AT to a fellow ham and after about 5 years with this rig, I can say that all
in all it was/is a good radio. I did experience a PLL problem, and had the radio repaired by Kenwood. They also replaced the front panel switch assy. It took care of the keybouce problem stated in another review. My tuner worked good, and I received excellent audio reports with either the hand mic, or my Astatic 10-D. I found a mod for adjusting the power level on SSB, and performed that to the rig. It only involved clipping a diode, and it worked great. I used this rig with a 432 Down East Microwave Transverter, so bringing the power down was a must. I thought that the AF gain could be a little more linear, and the notch filter is very touchy. A big plus for me with this rig, is having the SWR/PWR meter, Antenna tuner and rig all in one package. I used to have a Kenwood 140, and had to have an outboard SWR meter. Nice to have everything in one package, as I take my HF stuff camping, mobile, etc.

KC2DIA Rating: 3/5 Feb 25, 2000 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Great performance, lousy keypad  Time owned: unknown months
While the radio is an excellent performer, the membrane keypad is horrid! When
keybounce sets in, there's not much that can be done. The keypad is no longer
in stock by Kenwood. Contacts in keypad impossible to clean. Keypad is used
to change modes and directly enter frequencies. Autotuner works o.k., but could
use much improvement. The POSITIVE side: Radio TX's and RX's flawlessly!
Strong final compliment (2SC2879 x2) and excellent speach processor.
Cascading filters really is this radio's strong point. Radio is EASY to work on.

AB7RG Rating: 4/5 Feb 14, 2000 00:51 Send this review to a friend
An excellent choice in a used HF rig!  Time owned: unknown months
Well time for me to start adding some of my reviews on Amateur equipment that I either own or have owned in the past five years of being an Amateur. You name it, I've probably owned it.
I would have to say the the Kenwood TS-440SAT I owned was an excellent choice in a used HF rig. The received audio was great as was the on air reports I received of the transmitted audio. The internal speaker wasn't too bad, but could have been a little better. The notch filter is a little picky, as you have to be very precise in order to get rid of the unwanted carrier. The auto tuner in mine worked great, often achieving a match on non-resonant antennas, all very quickly. The buttons announcing the mode in CW came in very handy when I used the radio HF mobile once at night. It may not have a hot receiver like most of today's new rigs, but it's still very good. My only reservation with it was the lack of power adjustability. This was a huge complaint for me. It kept me from running an amplifier with the radio, and I couldn't run QRP with it either. But for the majority of hams, this won't be a problem. Also, I wished that the radio had a slower tuning step rate. It's a bit too fast in my opinion, especially on CW.