Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Kaito WRX911 Help

Reviews Summary for Kaito WRX911
Kaito WRX911 Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $34.99
Description: Super high sensitivity AM/FM/SW1-9 World Receiver
More info: http://www.kaitousa.com/WRX911.htm

You can write your own review of the Kaito WRX911.

K4QET Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2011 03:56 Send this review to a friend
Love it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I go along with the other '5' reviews. Been doing this for 60 yrs, this is the best small combination I've seen. Can scan 4 Mhz with small thumb movement, VERY sensitive (much more than my Grundig G3) on am/sw; good selectivity. Tune slowly. Not so hot on FM but not bad. Dial scale way off on most every band! But at night in the dark who cares, you're just looking for stations anyway. FANTASTIC BATTERY LIFE, measured in MONTHS with frequent use, 100x other PLL/digital small radios.

WA1UFO Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2011 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Pocket DX  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I paid 20 bux for a brand new blue one and love it! For 20 bux this little guy does great on MW and SW. The fm is not so great but I hate most FM crap anyway. I was amazed by it's selectivity and sensitivity on MW.It holds its own with a 150 dollar digital that I have. The secret to using this little gem is SLOW TUNING! There is some backlash but after a fashion, I got used to it. I have been a ham for 25 years and a swl for 54.

ROBWIN12000 Rating: 5/5 Jul 7, 2009 16:06 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had a lot and I mean a lot of shortwave radios in my lifetime . One that I bought a while ago is the Kaito WRX-911 now this radio has a real low price tag . But it is one of the best radios I have bought . Even thou I have owned radios like Sonys 7600GR , Radioshack DX-440 , Radioshack DX-302 , Grundig 400 , Grundig 350 , Nordmende Globetravler , Kaito 1103 , 1102 , 1101 ,,, And a lot more . All Great radios . I like this radio because it is easy to operate and to carry . The sensitivy is very good and if I connect a wind-up antenna , I can hear all the really weak stations also . The selectivity is very good for a radio this size . I also found out that you can connect the wind-up antenna and the AM band comes alive . There are some whistle and image's in a few places on the shortwave dial . But for general listening it is a great radio and there is no muting while tunning around the dial . The radio runs off of one IC which makes the batterys last a long time and gives extra long play time . If you want a real all around radio that is very easy to use and very sensitive this is the radio for you .

KWV8DA Rating: 2/5 Jul 6, 2009 20:35 Send this review to a friend
rarely used  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
i wanted to give this one away, but feared it would turn a newbie away from the radio hobby. sw is ok if you can guess where your at. am band needs the alignment offered from the yahoo ultralite group.
fm just ok. universal has alot of nerve asking so much for it.anything over 15.00 is to much. i may just scrap for parts. sorry folks, not my cup of tea here.

KATZRADIO Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2009 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Great little radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Small, compact very portable radio. Pulls in some very distant stations, impressive. Once the signal is locked on, it does not fade.

A couple of quirks for me is; When using the earphones, I cannot turn the volume down all the way...guess that part is broken. As others have mentioned, the display chart is not on center, the tuning does not correspond with the frequency printed on the chart.

Other than that, I am pleased. I have two of these, for the money you can't go wrong.

KB0HAE Rating: 4/5 Nov 10, 2008 23:35 Send this review to a friend
Good value for the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just recently bought a Kaito WRX911 for my girlfriend. I know that the Kaito KA1102, and KA1103 are better radios, but I wanted to get her something simple to operate, as she is blind, and would have trouble with the digital radios. The WRX911 is a small, simple analog radio. The controls are not ambiguous in any way. Also, I was not sure how much she would use it.

The radio comes with a cloth bag, ear buds, and a short instruction manual. A couple of things set this radio apart from others in its price/size class. It has a pull-out stand on the back like its more expensive cousins mentioned above, and the whip antenna has a swivel at the base. So the radio can be tilted back without laying down, and the antenna can point strait up in that position. The controls are simple and easy to use. I like that this radio has a separate on-off switch rather than including it in the volume control. The radio uses 2 AA batteries.

The radio has a headphone jack, and an external power jack. The controls are: Volume, On-Off switch, Band switch, and tuning knob. The tuning dial is not very accurate, but that won't bother my girlfriend.
The radio sounds much better when using the included ear buds that when using the speaker. This is because the internal speaker is rather small, and sounds rather tinny.

Reception is good on AM and Shortwave, better than any other radio in this size/price class that I have tried. Its not as good as the KA1102, but the radio is smaller, and costs less than half as much. FM reception is disappointing, as the two 50,000 watt local FM stations bleed over most other FM stations on the dial. FM reception is in mono, even with the stereo ear buds. The radio seems well built, and not flimsy at all.
I would say that this is a good starter radio, kids radio and also good for those who want a small, inexpensive radio to carry with them.

Pros:
Small, easily carried in a pocket.

Good AM/SW reception.

Stand and swivel antenna make it easy to set the radio on a table.

Well built.

Cons:

Poor FM reception.

Inaccurate dial

RADIODINNER Rating: 4/5 Jan 15, 2008 20:37 Send this review to a friend
Fine Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I heard a lot of good reviews about this one, so I thought I'd give it a try. For $25 you can't go wrong.
My first test of the Radio is AM DXing, which I do on a regular basis. There are stations that serve as a performance tester: WBBM Chicago, and WCBS New York (I live right outside Rochester, New York). This Kaito received both, and with a vengeance. I was amazed to hear WSB Atlanta as well.
Shortwave was OK, this one's not for distant signals. I like to listen to Radio Australia once and awhile, and you have to keep your fingers on the dial, it drifts quite a bit. Regular listeners of the big ones like Radio Netherlands and the Beeb (BBC) will be happy with this one.
FM is fine. No signal conflicts or overloading experienced. The internal speaker is simply dreadful. Tiring to listen to, but what do expect for a radio the size of a box of crayons?
This one was as simple and as user intuitive as you get. No fancy dials, buttons, or crazy ergonomics (as Kaito is apt to).
Overall it's a fine radio for general Shortwave listening, AMDXing, a grab and go radio, and the perfect starter radio for someone new to shortwave.

CRUNCHMAN Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2007 08:42 Send this review to a friend
The Kaito WRX911 provides worldwide listening on a budget. This  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great radio for the money, $20. Only drawback is it will not receive weak stations very well. Too much drift. Stronger stations like WWCR sound great. If you need a radio that you can put in your pocket and run, this one is it.

KG6TAG Rating: 4/5 Nov 1, 2006 22:14 Send this review to a friend
For $17 - it's a no brainer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I picked this little radio up to act as a "disposable" radio on an upcoming vacation trip. If I lose it or break it, I won't be disappointed.

I like to have the WRX-911 (the Subaru + Porsche love child??) in the palm of my hand while walking the dog at night. It is easy to tune, has decent audio for a very small radio and it has good sensitivity. Sure, it is singe conversion with some heterodyne squeals but in general it suits my purpose very well.

It's performance? Well - you'll think I'm crazy, but it seems to be nearly as sensitive as my Sony ICFSW7600G - both using the the built in antennas. Although, the selectivity and audio quality of the Sony was much better, the sensitivity seemed to be about the same, which disappoints me a lot as I perceive it to be a ding against the Sony and not a Pro for the Kaito.

So - I really like this little radio. It looks good, it has nice controls, good battery life, the tuning is accurate enough for me to easily find any station which will be strong enough for me to enjoy, and there isn't any digital noise or other issues.

Would I purchase another? Sure - for $17 who can lose?

-Dave

AB7JK Rating: 3/5 Oct 1, 2006 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Acceptable analog  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've never had a Chinese SW portable radio that worked well - that goes for Kaito, Degen, Tecsun - junk - made by slave labor so what do you expect!
They have all had problems with faulty microprocessors (Tecsun), faulty voltage regulation circuits (Degen), poor image rejection (Kaito), battery drain (all of them) so the $22 I paid for this WRX911 wasn't too much of a gamble.

The radio is best for strong signal shortwave stations that are in the clear - not too close to other stations. Otherwise images, howls and squeals beome the order of the day. The audio is very good on SW but sounds somewhat distorted on MW. FM lacks sensitivity for weaker stations.

Right now $22 is about the most I'll pay anymore for a SW set. Most of the good stations have disappeared or curtailed their programming. Most of the stations left in English are from countries that pretty much hate us but still make a small effort to blow smoke up our rear ends (mostly the Chinese).

Maybe one of these days the Chinese will build their radios better - maybe one day after they are through destroying our economy. I doubt it though.