Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | ICOM SP-23 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SP-23
ICOM SP-23 Reviews: 42 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Optional ICOM Speaker with Filters

You can write your own review of the ICOM SP-23.

N6JPG Rating: 4/5 Feb 24, 2018 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced but Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have to agree with the previous review by K4TB. The older models may have had a problem but the moment I plugged this speaker into my IC-756Pro, I was impressed with the sound. Very clear and full bodied, more so than the stock speaker inside the transceiver. The EQ functions worked well to un-muddy some of the more bassy sounding transmissions and clear up some of the hiss on the higher end.
Like all ham radio brand-name after market speakers, it is overpriced but it matches my rig nicely and really does improve the sound and ease of listening. Nothing tinny about it to my ear and worth the investment.
N4UE Rating: 3/5 Jul 9, 2017 14:41 Send this review to a friend
The other 1/2 of the story  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ok, if you have followed my review of the Phonema speaker "upgrade' for the Icom SP-23, read on.
If not, read that review first.
Having an Icom 7610 on order, I decided to get a better matching speaker. Right now, between my 761/SP-23 and my 745, my 'main radio' is my beloved 756PRO, I purchased in Tokyo the week it was announced. Paired with the PRO, is a SP-21 speaker. It's there mostly because it looks good. The PRO feeds an MFJ-616 and then to some external speakers.
I have a LOT of matching speakers from all the radio mfgs. This is how they make their $ !!!!
I 'almost' never buy new speakers from the mfgs.
When the 7300 first came out, I bought an SP-33. What a POS. Then I bought a matching (?) SP-38. I've replaced the el-cheapo original speakers in both.

Anyway, I got the SP-23 from eBay for an 'acceptable' price. Original box, packing etc.
Without even using it extensively, I ordered the Phonema speaker 'upgrade' kit from DXE.
Go to my review of the Phonema kit for details......

Disassembling the Chinese SP-23 revealed why the seller may have sold it. There is a thick 'wool sock' that is supposed to be behind the speaker. It was completely out of position. Very cheaply made.
After putting in the replacement Phonema speaker and gasket, I reattached this 'sock' behind the speaker with some more aggressive glue.

Does it sound 'better'? Dunno, but it will match the new radio (if it ever comes out) and the frequency selection buttons now seem to actually do something......

DV2AWN Rating: 4/5 Apr 5, 2017 08:52 Send this review to a friend
better than expected  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i bought the icom sp23 having some trepidation from some of the review i heard. apparently though, the issue was more of the older issue as the one i got performed better than expected. Its a big improvement over the stock speaker on my IC7300 whereas i can hardly understand what was being said (for weak stations) on the stock speaker, but with the SP-23, coupled with the filters on it, weak signal stations became easily understandable. i recommend this speaker to anyone looking to match with their ic7300 and radios like it. 73!
N6HBJ Rating: 3/5 Dec 16, 2016 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Mediocre sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got a used one today to match my ICOM 7600. Good looking speaker and matches well. Hooked it up and was very disappointed with the sound. No bass to it and not very full sounding.

I did a direct comparison to a Kenwood SP-930 and the Kenwood blew it out of the water. Then I tried the Yaesu SP-8 and it sounded even better.

But I'm still glad I got it because it matches up good with the 7600 physically. I just have to use my Yaesu speaker for the ICOM and the SP-23 for my scanner ha!
EI3GD Rating: 3/5 Jul 31, 2015 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Ok, but needs better speaker  Time owned: months
Like many comments before.. the built quality is very poor. But of you get one cheap then it's ok I guess.
Min had a strange digital-like noise at very low volumes... no idea what caused it.

In the end I had to replace the speaker with a better quality Panisonic 3"... WOW big improvement.
Better base and high's response.
The filters now sound more effective with a wide range speaker.
And that low volume buzzing is gone.
Well worth the effort.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2015 15:20 Send this review to a friend
Sounds Good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The latest batch of SP-23 speakers must be much better than the earlier ones, judging from the reviews here. I just bought an SP-23 and almost immediately after hooking it up I could tell it sounded very nice. It has a full, well-rounded sound and negligible resonances. On very high volume, i.e. about 2/3 or more on my IC-7600, there are a couple of resonance points when you vary the tone pitch through the speaker but that's a much too loud level anyway, and I rarely crank the volume past 1/2.

I particularly like the filters because they really help in reducing static noise, even after the IC-7600's excellent noise reduction and noise blanker are engaged. Then lastly, style-wise the SP-23 is a perfect match to my IC-7600, .
K1VI Rating: 2/5 Apr 29, 2015 18:14 Send this review to a friend
So-so  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this with my Pro-3 in 2007. Still in awe over the Pro-3, but the speaker is just good enough not to toss. Much better audio through my $12 PC headphones. Tried all the combinations of filter settings. Nope. Slightly buzzy/distorted.
N1GMV Rating: 3/5 Apr 26, 2015 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Ok after Dynamat installed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got this speaker last year and like the others I too had vibration especially with CW at certain frequencies. I opened up the box and installed Dynamat self adhesive dampening material on the cover and throughout the lower assembly. It is now working pretty good. If you want to give it a try you can pick it up at any car audio shop. BTW, I also put it in the base of my SM50 desk mike which improved that as well.
ND3R Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2014 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got this speaker for Christmas and been playing with it all morning. I find it is very well made and sounds great with my Pro 3. I won't need to make any modifications to it at all as previously suggested. It matches my rig perfect. I was using and old stereo speaker from the 80's which worked fine but this is much, much better by far. The filters work fine also. Definitely worth the price.
K5RR Rating: 5/5 Oct 27, 2014 06:24 Send this review to a friend
Good communication quality speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought an SP-23 speaker at the same time I bought my new 7600. If I had seen all of the negative reviews of this speaker I might not have bought it. But I find that it is very acceptable if you use the high pass filter to cut out the low frequencies.