Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | ICOM SP-23 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SP-23
ICOM SP-23 Reviews: 33 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Optional ICOM Speaker with Filters

You can write your own review of the ICOM SP-23.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I enjoy owning this speaker. Its filters are a convenience, and it sounds very nice on SSB. For AMers, try something else.....it won't compare to your big, vintage speaker/cabinet.

KD0TRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 14:59 Send this review to a friend
SP-23 works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this unit hooked to an ICOM 756ProIII - I really like having the audio coming at me rather than going out of the top of the radio, spendi but looks great and sounds great. I really like the SPEAKER OFF switch and the ability to use the SP-23 across two radios. Your results may vary.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2009 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Does the job!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a few thoughts on Icom's SP-23 speaker. I have the SP-3 speaker as well on my 756Pro, (see my review on the SP-3). I think that while the SP-23 has the filtering, which does a fair job of cutting QRM, along with my 756's filtering, I can pretty well cut out any offending QRM. Can't say as if I would go out and buy another one, at $200.00 a pop it is a little pricey.

Although it is a great speaker, a good deal larger than my SP-3, I was suprised didn't think it was quite that big. This speaker does the job for what it was designed to do, which is to deliver full rich sound from your rig. This is not a piece of gear that you can say yes this is the greatest thing since speaker were invented or this is the worst thing since speakers were invented.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference, either you like it or you don't, for me I like it and will probably stay in my shack untill such time as a better yet comparatively priced speaker come along, whatever brand that may be.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

OE3SGU Rating: 4/5 Jan 26, 2009 05:15 Send this review to a friend
too expensive, but works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all those horror stories here I really hesitated to buy the SP-23. Finally I bought one at our local Ham Radio store. So far I haven`t discovered any problems. The sound is nice, even in AM. In my opinion the filters work best in AM mode. Yes, it is much too expensive for what it is, but every matching speaker is far overpriced. It is a good match to my pro 3 and I will keep it.

N1FDX Rating: 3/5 Sep 13, 2008 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Great match, that's it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the SP-23 to match a new Pro3, replaced my SP-21. Looks great however the SP-21 did sound better. Opened it up and I can't come up with $200. I found the insulation was just loose in the cabinet so I hot glued it to seal a compartment for the speaker and it does sound better. The filters give you some sound options.
For $200 it is a nice match to the Pro3, the performance it think you can get for about $20.

N8ERM Rating: 0/5 Sep 10, 2008 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Poor quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing is disgusting. The speaker looks like it cost $1.00 at most. The filters are of the same quality, bad. Do yourself a favor and don't buy one.

K6USN Rating: 4/5 Jun 5, 2008 15:04 Send this review to a friend
Pleased  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this speaker three years ago to match my Pro III.
The speaker quality is fine for my ears, and I use it on CW, SSB and FM.

I especially like the A/B switch for using a second radio, and also the filtering, which allows some listening options.

It works well for me.

K6USN / E51USN

VK2FTNY Rating: 2/5 Apr 14, 2008 02:23 Send this review to a friend
Save a few bucks, try the Sp-21 instead  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am sad to say i was very disappointed in this speaker and was expecting more for my money.I bought it at the time i bought my Proiii as the matching speaker, but if i had my time again i would have bought the Sp-21 which i use with the Ic-718.The sp-21 actually sounds far superior to the more expensive sp-23,i must admit i was hoping this would be a great speaker and to be fair the unit itself is quite attractive and great idea with extra audio filters but i feel it is let down by a cheap speaker.Thats probably the best way to describe it,sounds very tinny and restricted like a 5 dollar pocket radio not a $250+ external speaker.

W2MSK Rating: 1/5 Jan 5, 2008 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Icom should be ashamed!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a poor quality Chinese made speaker that Icom should be ashamed of putting their name on. The "guts" is mostly air with a couple of caps and switches for the filter network. The internal build quality is sloppy with black goop everywhere (used to seal nuts and screws from coming loose). The speaker is a small very low quality affair that you would find in a cheap transistor radio. This from a company famous for high quality. The management must have been on vacation when this was designed. Look elsewhere

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2007 17:17 Send this review to a friend
VERY NICE!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use my SP-23 with my 756 PROII & it does a GREAT job.I did return the 1st one I bought due to some strange noises it made with the incoming audio but HRO(Anehiem)was VERY FAST to replace the bad speaker with the one I use now.I do use the filters & unlike SOME who posted here DO find them to help in some cases.It does look VERY nice as well with the 756 PROII & 746 PRO on my operating desk.Sounds better than my SP-21 did as well.Looks GREAT,sounds GREAT,& does just what I ask from it day after day!Thanks ICOM for another GREAT product!

Clayton