Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | ICOM SP-23 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SP-23
ICOM SP-23 Reviews: 38 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Optional ICOM Speaker with Filters

You can write your own review of the ICOM SP-23.

N5AS Rating: 3/5 Aug 10, 2011 13:47 Send this review to a friend
OK after Speaker Change  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The only reason I obtained this speaker is to match my 756 ProII. The SP-20 which sounded much better than the SP-23, but too large and wrong color to match.

As received the speaker sounded too crackly for my listening pleasure. The filters have some effect on audio response. As all have stated, the speakers just aren't worth the new price.

Now to what I did to make it sound much better. I replaced the speaker with a 3" woofer. Imagine that! He-he! Yep, a woofer as listed on eBay. The speaker is used in Sony LCD TV's with part no. 1-826-237-11. This 'woofer' was chosen for its mounting ears, offset just like the original Icom speaker to properly fit into the baffle. The mounting ears/holes were cut open to allow best mounting. Also stuffed the cabinet with acoustic material. Much smother response than original speaker. After this mod the speaker is a keeper.

WD8MNX Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2011 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice Speaker, works well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had, already, owned an ICOM SP-23 for years and had no problem with it audio filters and the style. So, I needed another speaker for some additional ICOM Ham gear. I went and purchased, a bit on the pricey side, another SP-23. Hooked it up and sounds great on SSB & FM; no vibrations at all on even the loudest volume settings.

N4QT Rating: 2/5 Jan 17, 2011 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Needs work to work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing went into feedback and bad vibration right out of the box! I decided to see what I could do to correct the bad engineering in the sp23. I took the cover off the speaker. I placed soft vibration absorbing pads under all four speaker screws. Then found a role of rubber splicing tape. Put strips of tape under the top and bottom front speaker case. Put the thing back together with the multitude of screws provided. Works okay now not great but no vibration. At least at reasonable volume. Would I recommend this speaker. Nope ! The bookshelf radio shack speaker I was using is far superior in performance to this so called communications speaker. Shame on icon. I love your rigs but your external speakers need upgrading!

W8MIS Rating: 0/5 Jan 13, 2011 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Icom should be ashamed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This made in China speaker is the most low end product on the market! It sounded like it was vibrating and I removed the case there is a sound baffle inside that is not properly mounted and the speaker is very small and I am sure low quality. The small circuit boards are installed crooked and the solder job looks like a 2nd grader mounted the components. I read the reviews prior but wanted a matching speaker. I have it next to the new Icom 7600 but turned off. Please don't waste your money.

KB3SI Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2009 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While it is overpriced, I got mine with a coupon and so that was not a factor. Finish is good and filters work, but I find I can get better filtering using the output from my 7600. I have ordered a better quality speaker to replace the one that came with the unit. If you are looking for a speaker to match your ICOM transceiver,this is the one to get.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I enjoy owning this speaker. Its filters are a convenience, and it sounds very nice on SSB. For AMers, try something else.....it won't compare to your big, vintage speaker/cabinet.

KD0TRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 14:59 Send this review to a friend
SP-23 works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this unit hooked to an ICOM 756ProIII - I really like having the audio coming at me rather than going out of the top of the radio, spendi but looks great and sounds great. I really like the SPEAKER OFF switch and the ability to use the SP-23 across two radios. Your results may vary.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2009 21:18 Send this review to a friend
Does the job!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just a few thoughts on Icom's SP-23 speaker. I have the SP-3 speaker as well on my 756Pro, (see my review on the SP-3). I think that while the SP-23 has the filtering, which does a fair job of cutting QRM, along with my 756's filtering, I can pretty well cut out any offending QRM. Can't say as if I would go out and buy another one, at $200.00 a pop it is a little pricey.

Although it is a great speaker, a good deal larger than my SP-3, I was suprised didn't think it was quite that big. This speaker does the job for what it was designed to do, which is to deliver full rich sound from your rig. This is not a piece of gear that you can say yes this is the greatest thing since speaker were invented or this is the worst thing since speakers were invented.

I guess it all boils down to personal preference, either you like it or you don't, for me I like it and will probably stay in my shack untill such time as a better yet comparatively priced speaker come along, whatever brand that may be.

73 de Mark
AI4HO

OE3SGU Rating: 4/5 Jan 26, 2009 05:15 Send this review to a friend
too expensive, but works fine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After reading all those horror stories here I really hesitated to buy the SP-23. Finally I bought one at our local Ham Radio store. So far I haven`t discovered any problems. The sound is nice, even in AM. In my opinion the filters work best in AM mode. Yes, it is much too expensive for what it is, but every matching speaker is far overpriced. It is a good match to my pro 3 and I will keep it.

N1FDX Rating: 3/5 Sep 13, 2008 20:17 Send this review to a friend
Great match, that's it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the SP-23 to match a new Pro3, replaced my SP-21. Looks great however the SP-21 did sound better. Opened it up and I can't come up with $200. I found the insulation was just loose in the cabinet so I hot glued it to seal a compartment for the speaker and it does sound better. The filters give you some sound options.
For $200 it is a nice match to the Pro3, the performance it think you can get for about $20.