Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | ICOM SP-23 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM SP-23
ICOM SP-23 Reviews: 41 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Optional ICOM Speaker with Filters

You can write your own review of the ICOM SP-23.

N4TOL Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2012 12:40 Send this review to a friend
Great speaker for Pro3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I hesitated to buy this speaker, as with most matching speakers, it is a bit pricey. It may not be the best speaker I have owned, but it does sound great with my Pro3 and I will keep it.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2012 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Second review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Second review

My first purchase had vibration issues

I had a new 7600 and the sp-23 was bundled with it

This one had absolutley no vibration whatsoever, so it looks like some were poorly made and others were well made

This is puzzling but my new one works perfectly and the filters work well

Dont know what else to say, but this one earns a 5

It seems like the bad ones are no good, but if you get one that works well then all is good

Maybe a friday afternoon / monday morning thing at the factory

This one seems like a wednesday model - just hope theres more out there

G0MMI Rating: 2/5 Jun 1, 2012 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Made in JA, Nope!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Shame on Icom! I bought a high quality rig made in Japan. I also bought the SP-23...."Made in China" and it shows. I only noticed where it was made when I took it out of the box! IC-AT-500,IC-2KL,IC-756proIII and IC-PS30 all sit nice on there stands but the speaker..forget it.Can't even get into the thing to try and repair it, the scew's just keep turning! Forget the filters and use what's in the rig.I paid Icom prices for this. Naughty Icom!

N5AS Rating: 3/5 Aug 10, 2011 13:47 Send this review to a friend
OK after Speaker Change  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The only reason I obtained this speaker is to match my 756 ProII. The SP-20 which sounded much better than the SP-23, but too large and wrong color to match.

As received the speaker sounded too crackly for my listening pleasure. The filters have some effect on audio response. As all have stated, the speakers just aren't worth the new price.

Now to what I did to make it sound much better. I replaced the speaker with a 3" woofer. Imagine that! He-he! Yep, a woofer as listed on eBay. The speaker is used in Sony LCD TV's with part no. 1-826-237-11. This 'woofer' was chosen for its mounting ears, offset just like the original Icom speaker to properly fit into the baffle. The mounting ears/holes were cut open to allow best mounting. Also stuffed the cabinet with acoustic material. Much smother response than original speaker. After this mod the speaker is a keeper.

WD8MNX Rating: 4/5 Jan 27, 2011 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice Speaker, works well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had, already, owned an ICOM SP-23 for years and had no problem with it audio filters and the style. So, I needed another speaker for some additional ICOM Ham gear. I went and purchased, a bit on the pricey side, another SP-23. Hooked it up and sounds great on SSB & FM; no vibrations at all on even the loudest volume settings.

N4QT Rating: 2/5 Jan 17, 2011 18:04 Send this review to a friend
Needs work to work!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing went into feedback and bad vibration right out of the box! I decided to see what I could do to correct the bad engineering in the sp23. I took the cover off the speaker. I placed soft vibration absorbing pads under all four speaker screws. Then found a role of rubber splicing tape. Put strips of tape under the top and bottom front speaker case. Put the thing back together with the multitude of screws provided. Works okay now not great but no vibration. At least at reasonable volume. Would I recommend this speaker. Nope ! The bookshelf radio shack speaker I was using is far superior in performance to this so called communications speaker. Shame on icon. I love your rigs but your external speakers need upgrading!

W8MIS Rating: 0/5 Jan 13, 2011 08:49 Send this review to a friend
Icom should be ashamed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This made in China speaker is the most low end product on the market! It sounded like it was vibrating and I removed the case there is a sound baffle inside that is not properly mounted and the speaker is very small and I am sure low quality. The small circuit boards are installed crooked and the solder job looks like a 2nd grader mounted the components. I read the reviews prior but wanted a matching speaker. I have it next to the new Icom 7600 but turned off. Please don't waste your money.

KB3SI Rating: 4/5 Dec 15, 2009 20:08 Send this review to a friend
Good Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While it is overpriced, I got mine with a coupon and so that was not a factor. Finish is good and filters work, but I find I can get better filtering using the output from my 7600. I have ordered a better quality speaker to replace the one that came with the unit. If you are looking for a speaker to match your ICOM transceiver,this is the one to get.

K9MHZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
I enjoy owning this speaker. Its filters are a convenience, and it sounds very nice on SSB. For AMers, try something else.....it won't compare to your big, vintage speaker/cabinet.

KD0TRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 15, 2009 14:59 Send this review to a friend
SP-23 works for me  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this unit hooked to an ICOM 756ProIII - I really like having the audio coming at me rather than going out of the top of the radio, spendi but looks great and sounds great. I really like the SPEAKER OFF switch and the ability to use the SP-23 across two radios. Your results may vary.