Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | West Mountain Radio PWRcrimp Powerpole crimp tool Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio PWRcrimp Powerpole crimp tool
West Mountain Radio PWRcrimp Powerpole crimp tool Reviews: 25 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $$49.95
Description: High performance Powerpole crimp tool for a reasonable price. Crimps all three sizes of Powerpole contacts; 15, 30 and 45 amp. Ratcheted mechanism assures proper crimps every time. Contact positioner holds contacts correctly while crimping. Far faster and better than soldering.
The highest strength and the lowest resistance connections possible. Long high leverage handle makes even 45 amp 10 gauge crimps easy.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/HAMintro.htm

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio PWRcrimp Powerpole crimp tool.

N1KDO Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2006 16:41 Send this review to a friend
worth every penny  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This tool is worth every penny. I have not tried the genuine Anderson tool, but I cannot imagine it would work any better. Every other way I have attached power poles has been inferior.

If you are planning on attaching more than a few power poles, this is your best bet...

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 18:41 Send this review to a friend
great JAWS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Get it for the JAWS. The jaws are the same kind that fit in every other premium crip tool on the market, they all use the same bolt-in jaw system. And most are MUCH easier to use. I'd love to see 'em sell the jaws alone for $30, which you could then use in your Greenlee, Paladin, Ideal, etc tool. For some reason the tool these jaws come with does not work well for me, there are some great compound-leverage tools out there you can get and put these jaws right in.

AB0RE Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 17:16 Send this review to a friend
I'd agree - great tool to have!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had a hard time shelling out the money for this tool. $50 is a lot for a tool that only crimps one kind of connector. However, after my first couple crimps I found myself asking how I did so long without it. This crimper consistenly produces quality crimps that, I feel, are superior connections to other methods.

When crimping with the GB tool... the GB tool would often affect the angle the powerpole "blade" sits to in relation to the "barrel" - not so with the PWRcrimp. Also, the non-ratcheting GB tool is not able to produce nearly as strong of a crimp as the PWRcrimp. I don't think I could pull one of these off if I tried.

When soldering... getting a solder blob on the powerpole would make it difficult or impossible to slide the contact into the housing. The connections produced by the PWRcrimp are perfect every time - no exceptions. Plus crimping with the PWRcrimp can be done in a small fraction of the time it takes to solder.

This is $50 well spent. As with everything in life the quality of the work produced is often a direct relation to the quality of tools used for a job. Buy one. You won't regret it.

Dan / ab0re

AH6RH Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2006 16:04 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having recommended the use of the Anderson Powerpoles as the universal power connector for the ARRL Emergency Communications Course (ARECC), I've been working with various products and methods over the years that use the Powerpoles.

I used to solder the connectors, but got inconsistent results. I used the Gardner Bender GB-88 crimp tool and also got inconsistent results.

One could also shell out over $100 for the Sargent crimp tool. Does a beautiful job, but kinda pricey.

Then, I saw the West Mountain PWRcrimp tool at Dayton 2004. For the price, I figured I couldn't go wrong. I took it home, tried it, and fell in love with it. I'll never solder another Powerpole connector and haven't touched the Gardner Bender tool since.

Since then, a number of us in Hawaii have picked up the tool and make it available at ham club gatherings so that others can fashion their power connectors. We also use them to mass produce fly-away radio kits complete with radio, tuner, power supply, coax and antennas. With a good pair of wire strippers (or diagonal wire cutters) and the PWRcrimp, you can crank out power cords in no time. That reminds me -- I gotta pick up one for the EOC.

If you're going to be making power cords with Powerpole connectors, you'ld be crazy not to get one of these.

KC9GGH Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2006 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Right Tool For The Job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On the first few crimps it was hard to get the tool to open up after the crimp was completed. After a few crimps I was able to make a tight crimp without fear that I would not be able to get the tool open. I have very small hands for a man and do not have that strong a grip so that may have been part of the problem.

This tool is the only way to go if you are going to use the Andersen Powerpoles.

W9GB Rating: 5/5 Jul 1, 2005 17:10 Send this review to a friend
Right Tool for Powerpoles!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased the tool 2 weeks ago and quickly assembled 8 cables with PowerPole connectors in one evening.
Well worth the $50 cost -- if you are going to be crimping PowerPole connectors - its racheting action is easy on the hands and provides proper pressure for a reliable crimp.
I have previously used a Klein Journeyman crimper that is very good, BUT does not have racheting action - and uniformity of the crimps can vary with that tool - depending upon my hand strength.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 May 27, 2005 05:23 Send this review to a friend
Alternative tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
I can not give a review of this tool as I dont have one.
BUT I use a Thomas and Betts StaCon crimper and it works well with the power poles. I have never had a crimp fail when using the T&B.
While the PWRcrimp is $50 the T&B is abt $30.
It is still way better than the cheap GB tool
So if you dontwant to drop the big bucks try a StaCon crimper.

IMHO
Dan

AE6RF Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2005 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Just bite the bullet and do it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using Power Poles for a couple of years now. Initially I "cheaped out" and went with the cheesy $9-12 crimp tool.

BAD CHOICE! Even being fairly careful the crimps were iffy at best.

So I spent the money for the West Mountain crimper. What a difference! Perfect crimp every time. No worries about the wire sliding out later. No hassles getting the pin to go into the housing...

So... Don't cheap out and waste your money and time. Go with the correct tool the first time.

You'll be much happier.

Trust me!

K5ADF Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2005 23:33 Send this review to a friend
Excellent tool  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Like several others on here, I saw the PWRcrimp tool at Dayton last year and tried it there. It worked great, so when I returned home I immediately ordered one (I did not want to pay Ohio taxes but that is another story). I have been using Powerpole connectors for a few years now and this tool makes it much easier to crimp the connectors on correctly every time. I would recommend this tool to anyone using Powerpoles. 73's

NS6Y_ Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2005 03:22 Send this review to a friend
This thing is cool!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing REALLY crimps, the first crimped contact you take out of there, you'll be amazed - this baby really does it!

I am not a large person, and have been crimping the smallest type of connectors on #18 fluke probe wire and some smaller stuff, which should be the easiest crimp. I found I can do it by resting the handle on the bench and putting my weight, most of it, on the top handle. The length of the handles gives this tons of leverage so you know any of the other tools would be MUCH harder to properly crimp one of these connectors.

This takes the same jaws that are used with the other tools made by Paladin, Ideal, etc that interchange, so you not only get a great PowerPole tool, you can also crimp your BNCs etc in style.