Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Radio Shack DSP 40 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DSP 40
Radio Shack DSP 40 Reviews: 35 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Noise reduction system / with built in speaker.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DSP 40.

W4KYR Rating: 1/5 Dec 18, 2013 07:51 Send this review to a friend
It did nothing to help electrical buzz  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I bought this in the mid 1990's when Radio Shack was selling them. I thought it was supposed to help with electrical noise reduction. It seemed to have no effect on helping to reduce the ongoing electrical buzz that appeared nightly in my apartment building.

I can't vouch on how well it worked to clean up CW signals as that is not what I bought it for. But for noise reduction of electrical buzz on the shortwave bands, it did nothing of the sort. I ended up returning to Radio Shack to get my money back.

If you want this to get maybe more clearer CW, it might work. But if you have line interference on the shortwave bands. The only thing this will do is to lighten your wallet some. Steer clear of this.

WA7ZYQ Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2013 22:09 Send this review to a friend
It is decent for what it does  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is not the piece of crap that some portray it as, nor is it a wondrous object. It does okay for what it costs.

What it does not do is have any noise reduction, per se. See the QST review and Radio Shack's admission of that. What it does do is seem to reduce noise because of its dsp filtering.

It is a handy little audio amp, and a filter and it will boost the signals of some of the radios that it is used with. It is not a qrp device, but can be used with some qrp rigs which are lacking in audio output.

These were not expensive devices, so moderate your expectations and you will not be disappointed. I give it 3 stars because it does most of what it says it does and it does it reasonably well for what it costs. I've had mine since I bought it new from Radio Shack and I haven't seen any reason to get rid of it so far.

W5LZ Rating: 3/5 Dec 17, 2013 10:39 Send this review to a friend
Good - but.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had more than one of them over the years. You have to keep in mind that this model was one of the first ones out some 30 (?) years ago. It wasn't the -best- at the time but it was available at a lower cost. Is it comparable to later models of DSP filtering? Not hardly, but what do you expect from older models of -anything- much less DSP filters. So depending on what you compare the thing to, call it a '4' or a '3', sort of.
- Paul

VE3TMT Rating: 1/5 Dec 17, 2013 08:01 Send this review to a friend
Waste of money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really don't think this unit has any DSP capabilities whatsoever. I found the selective filtering on the Yaesu SP6 speaker worked just as well. SSB audio was distorted, and again no DSP noise reduction at all.

Don't waste your money on this one.

W3KC Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2013 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Useful Accessory  Time owned: more than 12 months
I use it with my QRP rigs. As a CW filter it cuts noise and adds selectivity. The top firing amplified speaker is a real bonus. Hamfest prices make it a great bargain.

W4KVW Rating: 0/5 Dec 15, 2013 15:53 Send this review to a friend
A BAD JOKE!   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't waste your money.Pure garbage & not even worth the $10 I sold mine for.Buy a REAL DSP unit & save yourself the waste of money & time messing around with it.Buy a ClearSpeech or GAP "Hear It" speaker or inline module & get something that really works.I use one ClearSpeech speaker & one ClearSpeech inline module now & have owned several of the GAP "Hear It" speakers & inline modules & they are almost as good as the ClearSpeech stuff. The DSP 40 is just PURE JUNK at best.Someone should pay you for disposing of it for them. {:>)

KB3RMX Rating: 2/5 Mar 13, 2013 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Ok somewhat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this on ebay last week hoping to boost the dsp on my Icom-718. Well it kinda works. Completely distorts audio on ssb even with the DSP off on the radio. Am using LDG IT-100 on radio. Antenna will not tune if you have the DSP in the ON position on the DSP-40. NR does not work at all.

Does work well on cw though. Ok if your just doing cw.

WA7OCZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2012 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Auto Notch Feature  Time owned: more than 12 months
One thing I like about this simple little filter is its ability to auto notch carriers in SSB mode. I was looking to get one to use with my TR7 and didn't realize this would do just that. I find it very handy and quick to switch back and forth. I use it with my FT450D too, which doesn't have the auto notch. I didn't test it on multiple carriers, but usually that's not the case anyway.

KF6GC Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 14:38 Send this review to a friend
had my dsp 40 since it was new 15 yrs  Time owned: more than 12 months
this little dsp is simple and works I USED IT ON OLDER TO NEWER RIGS IC-703 original KW 820 & 830, FT990, FT890, AND IS HELP THEM ALL FILTERED OR NOT YOU CAN'T BEAT IT FOR THE PRICE I paid $30 on sale and would not sell it for any amount of money if I couldn't replace it right now I am using it on the ft990 with all the filtering in that rig you would think it could not be improve but it does
buy one if you can best money I EVER SPENT! FUSE REPLACED ONCE 10 YRS AGO HAVE A SPARE TAPED TO THE TOP IT WILL PROBABLY BE BAD WHEN I NEED IT HI HI AT 74 MAYBE NOT!

VE3NJG Rating: 1/5 Mar 18, 2012 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Cheap junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first bought two in the early 1990's when they were first launched for $99.00. Yes they do narrow SSB and CW ok with some typical audio change, but are best at nulling out carriers. Their noise reduction part is crappy and useless.
When R.S. discoded them on sale really cheap soon after there was a good reason to get rid of them. If you can only afford $10.00 then buy one. Keep in mind the Time Waves and JPS or also the W9GR units smoke them and do not cost much more used these days. Sorry , but in my view the DSP-40 will never make ham radio history. Really cheap junk, but ok if you are given one for free I suppose. When in doubt about this stuff find an old timer who was there. The British old Datong FL-3 is also a great analogue type audio filter still to this day.
If you worship A R.S. DX-160 or HTX-202 then go get it.