Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | Radio Shack DSP 40 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DSP 40
Radio Shack DSP 40 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 3.5/5 MSRP: $39.95
Description: Noise reduction system / with built in speaker.
More info: http://www.radioshack.com

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DSP 40.

KB3RMX Rating: 2/5 Mar 13, 2013 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Ok somewhat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got this on ebay last week hoping to boost the dsp on my Icom-718. Well it kinda works. Completely distorts audio on ssb even with the DSP off on the radio. Am using LDG IT-100 on radio. Antenna will not tune if you have the DSP in the ON position on the DSP-40. NR does not work at all.

Does work well on cw though. Ok if your just doing cw.

WA7OCZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2012 12:02 Send this review to a friend
Auto Notch Feature  Time owned: more than 12 months
One thing I like about this simple little filter is its ability to auto notch carriers in SSB mode. I was looking to get one to use with my TR7 and didn't realize this would do just that. I find it very handy and quick to switch back and forth. I use it with my FT450D too, which doesn't have the auto notch. I didn't test it on multiple carriers, but usually that's not the case anyway.

KF6GC Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2012 14:38 Send this review to a friend
had my dsp 40 since it was new 15 yrs  Time owned: more than 12 months
this little dsp is simple and works I USED IT ON OLDER TO NEWER RIGS IC-703 original KW 820 & 830, FT990, FT890, AND IS HELP THEM ALL FILTERED OR NOT YOU CAN'T BEAT IT FOR THE PRICE I paid $30 on sale and would not sell it for any amount of money if I couldn't replace it right now I am using it on the ft990 with all the filtering in that rig you would think it could not be improve but it does
buy one if you can best money I EVER SPENT! FUSE REPLACED ONCE 10 YRS AGO HAVE A SPARE TAPED TO THE TOP IT WILL PROBABLY BE BAD WHEN I NEED IT HI HI AT 74 MAYBE NOT!

VE3NJG Rating: 1/5 Mar 18, 2012 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Cheap junk  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first bought two in the early 1990's when they were first launched for $99.00. Yes they do narrow SSB and CW ok with some typical audio change, but are best at nulling out carriers. Their noise reduction part is crappy and useless.
When R.S. discoded them on sale really cheap soon after there was a good reason to get rid of them. If you can only afford $10.00 then buy one. Keep in mind the Time Waves and JPS or also the W9GR units smoke them and do not cost much more used these days. Sorry , but in my view the DSP-40 will never make ham radio history. Really cheap junk, but ok if you are given one for free I suppose. When in doubt about this stuff find an old timer who was there. The British old Datong FL-3 is also a great analogue type audio filter still to this day.
If you worship A R.S. DX-160 or HTX-202 then go get it.

KA4ETV Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2012 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Great for what it costs  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent little filter for what it costs. Agree with the earlier poster. Sometimes good enough is good enough. Buy one if you see it.

K8JHR Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2012 11:51 Send this review to a friend
Good is sometimnes good enough  Time owned: more than 12 months
The RS DSP-40 is a simple, low cost digital signal processor audio filter. Like other audio filters, it reduces, but does not eliminate noise on the audio output of your receiver or transceiver. It is not as good as a Timewave DSP-zx, but you can generally get one for one tenth of the cost of the Timewave product. No DSP audio filter will cure all noise, but this product helps enough to warrant its typical $40 street price.

There is a mod for increasing audio output volume which is easy to do. I put mine on the SW receiver, and put my Timewave and West Mount Radop DSP filters on my two transceivers.

Sometimes good is good enough for the money - and the DSP-40 is a good product for the money.

Just MY take... // James - K8JHR //

AA7BI Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2012 17:44 Send this review to a friend
Does the job well!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Can't even remember how long I've had mine, but it must be 15 years or more. I sold the first. Big mistake. Got my Radio Shack dealer to hold the next one for me prepaid.

I use mine with a TS-140S and an HW-8. You can't do better for getting a quick and narrow filter for CW. Improvements on SSB are notable while blocking any stray CW signals or AM carriers in the phone band. Atmospheric noise and tones are diminished considerably.

Tried it mobile but found it didn't help as much as I would have liked. It, like the more expensive DSP gizmos, does not fix everything. But it sure is a shot in the arm for older radios.

OK, so here is where the big guns come to brag about how much they can afford to spend. I can only afford this, and cent for cent, it performs very admirably. In fact, it helps filter out the heterodynes from the big gun QRM.

73 de AA7BI/VE5

AE5RC Rating: 4/5 Dec 7, 2011 19:38 Send this review to a friend
Good, not great,,,  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the DSP 40 since it came out. My intention was to use it with mobile radios. That was not a great experiment so the unit sat on my work desk. Recently I put it in line on an Icom 735. It is better to me inside the shack as opposed to in the car. It is decent on both noise reduction and ssb filtering mode to my ears and that would yield a 3 of 5 rating if that is all it did. On cw it makes the most impact for me. Being a casual operator and not having a whiz bang new radio, the unit is a good addition to my station. Not great (5) but better than simply ok so a 4 of 5 it is. Don't know the going rate for one of these is but if you have an older rig, what can it hurt to try it?

N0TTW Rating: 3/5 Jul 23, 2011 09:44 Send this review to a friend
Gives life to older radios.  Time owned: more than 12 months
My review is based more on using this device on older radios (Yaesu FT-736R, FT-757, etc) that have no DSP or audio filtering. Currently the device is on my 736.

The Noise Reduction (NR) setting is probably the poorest of the 3 settings. I find weak signals in CW disappear in this mode (I mean weak). Noise reduction is limited as well. Not my choice to use.

The SSB setting does a good job of clearing out the noise, even for a weak signal without losing the intelligence of the signal. I'm mostly in the Medium to Narrow mode at this setting most of the time. Makes weak signal monitoring bearable to the ears. The only draw back to this setting is the loss of CW signals because of the notching it provides for hetrodyne sigs.

The CW setting is my favorite on the 736. I can scan the band and hear the fainest beep. On 222 Mhz, I was able to complete a QSO with a station in EM35 from my location in EN32 on an average day. If I didn't have this, I wouldn't have heard the signal.

Overall, if you have an older radio... this filter would be a nice addition. At hamfest and some online sales, I see these go for $10-$15 on average. If you see one at that price, grab it.

KC8LTL Rating: 3/5 Jan 31, 2011 10:47 Send this review to a friend
It is what it is  Time owned: more than 12 months
As has been stated by many others, this little unit does not offer state of the art Digital Signal Processing. Even when it was new, it was't fancy at all, and it is about 15 years old now.

What it does is Bandpass filtering in multiple widths for phone and cw. In addition, in phone modes it offers an automatic notch filter. In addition it is an amplified speaker. Other than this it has no noise reduction features.

The cw pitch is fixed and higher than I like, but this unit does have a purpose. I'm glad I picked one up for cheap at a hamfest.