Reviews Categories | Electronic Component Suppliers | Surplus Sales of Nebraska Help

Reviews Summary for Surplus Sales of Nebraska
Surplus Sales of Nebraska Reviews: 36 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Sells hard to find and obselete parts. Many Collins parts.
More info: http://www.surplussales.com/

You can write your own review of the Surplus Sales of Nebraska.

WA1SEO Rating: 1/5 Nov 4, 2012 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Shop Elsewhere  Time owned: more than 12 months
I called them about a roller inductor that I was interested in that they had for sale. I told them what I wanted to use it for and asked them to verify some measurements...particularly the shaft length. When I received it, the shaft length was significantly shorter and one could see where it had been cut down. I inquired about sending it back for a refund and was declined. I wound up having to pay a local machinist to make me an adapter.

Would I ever buy from them again? NO!

OPIE32311 Rating: 0/5 Nov 4, 2012 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Surplus Sales of Nebraska: Caveat Emptor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I contacted Surplus Sales concerning the remaining stock of 3/16th in. Phosphor Bronze wire. The website listed the price @ 1.00 per foot and was informed I would get a discounted rate of .75 cent per foot if ordering more than 1000 ft. I agreed to purchasing the remain stock of 1600 ft. I gave them my credit card info and completed the sale. When I called back 2 days later to check on shipping I was told that there was a problem. Bob had changed the price to $2.75 a foot and they would not honor the price of sale. My options were pay 3.5 X more or they would cancel my order. Unable to swallow the 350% price increase I declined. Companies are only as good as the people who own and operate them and when their philosophy is one of profit before honor or more succienctly screw the customer both the company and the customer suffer. We should not hate Bob but pity him. A man is only as good as his word and

KE0UF Rating: 1/5 May 7, 2011 11:33 Send this review to a friend
Avoid this business!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Avoid this place, really poor customer service!
Ordered 4 oz of small parts, $11.50 for shipping,
E-Mailed twice, no response. This is how they make their money! Ordered spray paint, bad nozzle or something? Wanted me to ship back so they could see it at my expense? Find somewhere else to make your purchases! This guy is a Rip Off!

KI0Z Rating: 1/5 Mar 25, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Guaranteed satisfaction NOT !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Guaranteed satisfaction. It said on the turns counter better than all others at a cheeper price. well I tryed one it was not able to tell me any part of a turn . so there satisfaction guarantee cost $19.40 to return it . To me I anticipate a 20 % return fee with nothing said.But with this Guaranteed satisfaction Just what does it mean to me Beware Of too much hot air.... I have had good times years ago but no more . It squeeked as you turned it and you could not tell any part of a turn look else where....unless you want some Guaranteed satisfaction NOT........!!!!

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2010 07:50 Send this review to a friend
Always satisfied, A+  Time owned: more than 12 months
Been dealing with Bob Grinnell since 1990. Recently placed a series of orders. Always prompt and accurate. They are THE source for high-quality commercial-grade components. They've never let me down.

G4HZV Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2010 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Works for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've bought various bits and pieces from Surplus Sales over the years and never had a problem. Always get helpful response to emails. Everything I've had has been well packed and arrived on time.

W5VIN Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2010 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Fast filling of Order  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hi:
I'd like to give Surplus Sales an A++ for the fast service they provided in filling an order for a copy
of a service manual I was in need of. I placed the order, waited a week, called and was told the order was being worked on. In 3 more days my manual arrived. Thanks Surplus Sales as I was able to repair my IFR-A7550 spectrum analyzer.
Charlie W5VIN

K9CTB Rating: 0/5 Aug 13, 2010 23:23 Send this review to a friend
Avoid - if you can  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Anyone who knows me and my reviews knows that I am thoughtful, and that if I have nothing good to say, I say nothing at all.

I have to say that in that vain, this is a very different review. From these guys I received very different treatment.

Avoid these guys if you can. I said it and I mean it. If this guy is in business to make money, he has absolutely no customer service sense at all. I have no beef with his prices. Sure they're high, but if he has what you need and nobody else does, you know the drill.

As an anecdotal comparison, Mike at Murphy's Surplus Junk in El Cajon, CA has high prices too. But the guy will break his back to find what you need and all it takes is an e-mail. Sometimes, this is all the difference in the world.

Fair Radio Sales in Lima, OH has high prices too. But their sense of customer care and their work ethic are priceless.

I was trying to track down a suitable blower for Bertha, my affectionately-named Henry 2KD-5 amplifier. Henry's shaded-pole OEM blower was getting old and noisy and I wanted a replacement. I saw that Nebraska Surplus Sales had blowers at the time. I called to ask about the suitability and availability of their replacement blowers. "NO!" was the response. "We're moving and I don't have time to look." Okay, I thought. "Give 'em some time, Neil", I was thinking. Heck, a "We're moving" note on their website would be nice. An expected date of return to business would be nice. I double-checked the website. Nothing. Hmmmmm. I would have gladly observed their situation and waited. In fact, that's what I did after my ear cooled down from the telephone.

Two weeks later, I emailed. I asked the status of their move and again asked about the availability of blowers. I even expressed hope that the move had gone smoothly.

Bad move.

I got an "earful" in the reply that I would have like to have saved, but didn't. Please take my word on this. Name-calling, phrases like "I know your type", and other angry content that was very telling of the personality I was dealing with on the other end, is what I received. Somehow he linked my e-mail to my phone call. This indicates a pretty low sales volume to me.

Totally inappropriate.

In spite of this, I dropped a note back to Mr. Grinnell, apologizing and ensuring to him that I meant no harm, but will avoid doing business with them in the future.

I walked away believing that this guy is either psychotic or at the very least, extremely stressed. Such a personality should probably not have contact with the public in any capacity unless he is properly medicated. If his business survives the double-dip recession we are currently enduring, so much the better and even in his condition, I would never deny a man the means to feed his family, so long as I ain't paying. If however, this business fails, this particular amateur would not be surprised in the least.

My story ended happily, with the arrival of the Indianapolis hamfest. I found a suitable blower that fits the 2KD-5 perfectly. With a new filter bank and a new blower but original tubes transformer, etc., Bertha still chugs along happily. All it cost me was a little time.

Bottom line? Perhaps Mr. Grinnell thinks he's the cat's meow on replacement Collins stuff. Maybe he's right. Perhaps the Collins name and mystique is worth fighting with someone like Grinnell to keep the gear running. If you think so, you sir are a better man than I.

I would never even consider darkening this guy's doorstep again. I urge fellow hams who can afford to do so, to do the same.

HB9DFG Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2008 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Works fine...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I ordered two doorknob caps which I received 8 days
later by airmail. Got also a short email when they
sent out the parts to me. Fine service so far.

Regards, Chris, HB9DFG

K6JPA Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2007 21:07 Send this review to a friend
No Problems Here  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've purchased several items from this business at various times in the past and have always been pleased with the products received.