Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756 Pro III
ICOM IC-756 Pro III Reviews: 226 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2700
Description: IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

KL2EC Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 10:36 Send this review to a friend
wonderful rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this rig a couple of years ago just as the 7600 came out, and am still impressed with the performance. I noticed that they are borning out my choice because the used prices are still up there!

N0ODK Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, always works.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ICOM IC-756PRO III has been an excellent radio for me over the years. The model was on many DXpeditions and the price of this radio still stays steady between $1800 and $1400 pending condition on several used website pages.
I use it as my main radio never having any problems with the radio. Performance, user friendly, and excellent DSP. No problem during contests. Highly recommend it.
Mike
n0odk

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2015 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Rolls Royce radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my radio for seven or eight years and would never think to sell it. I is perfect and is still like new. I am also using another Icom in another room, too. If you can purchase a good used one you will enjoy it for many years, too. It's still state-of-the-art and wonderful to use.

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2014 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've always wanted one of the IC-756ProIII radios at least since they came out with the ProIII. And I finally found one that was a one owner and in top shape. This radio has a lot of the same feature that are found on the 7700 & 7800 series. The RX filtering system is second to none and it works like a charm. I've mated my 756ProIII with an Alpha 86 which only requires about 35 watts drive to get 1500 watts output. Thus making the radio run smoothly without much effort on transmit. The main thing I like about the radio is the DSP with the digital IF filtering system it allows you to filter out a strong signal that is right next to a weak one that you are after. Icom perfected this on the 756Pro series before putting it in the 7700 & 7800. The radio is very user friendly at least I found it that way for some it may seem over whelming at time. I gave the radio a 5 star because of the DSP and user friendliness, making it a radio that can be mastered very quickly. So far I've had nothing but a great experience using mine.

4L2M Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very good transceiver, but no idea how to cancel defeat points every 100khz

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 10:14 Send this review to a friend
One of the best ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first full size HF rig, love everything about it. Spectrum scope is a great feature, now I feel blind when using other rigs without the scope. Paid about $1600 on ebay a couple of years ago.
I may just have this one the rest of my life. Total keeper.

KB9NGX Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2014 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Completely satisfied.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Radio has been in almost daily operation for eight years. And without problems. It is refined/seamless,and easy to use. And I have been able to operate under the worst of Conditions. These qualities and dependability allow me to appreciate the Hobby.

W9LVM Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Display problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a email back from Icom on some units that have a problem with taking display some times 10 minutes to get up all the way! After IC-756PRO they change back lighting on the Pro2 and Pro3! If you would like copy of email go to QRZ.COM for my email address! Other then that issue I love the radio! Just why is it when they have a problem they do not fix the radio?

EI3GD Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my Flex 3000 after 18 months, I just wanted to try something else and decided on the Pro 3 after much research and debate.
The Flex 3000 set a high bar in terms of receive performance and feature set so it would be hard to top, I was afraid of disappointment.
However I'm happy to report the Pro 3 is up to the challenge.
*Receive performance and DSP filtering is superb and a joy to use.
*Pre-recorded CW and voice phrases are easy to use.
*Noise blanker seems slightly better than the Flex.
*Obviously the panadaptor display on the Flex is second to none and the Pro3 is no match here. So I prefer to use the Pro 3 without panadaptor, the refresh rate is just slow for my liking and just distracts me. But it's still nice to have it and I can still see myself using it at times.
*The dynamic tune(accelerated when turned fast) on the Pro 3 is very nicely implemented, making it a breeze to scan any band in just a few seconds.
*CW is where the Pro 3 really tops the Flex, no delay and silky smooth to operate with full or semi QSK, the Flex was weak in this respect.
*Fan noise was an issue on the Flex, especially on long overs or extended operation. But no such issue on the Pro 3 the fan is hardly noticeable.
*Memo pad is a very useful feature on the Icom.
*Variable IF down to 50hz works well on the Icom, just as good as the Flex. By the way, 25 hz on the Flex 3000 does not work and it seems to be reserved for the Flex 5000).

So all in all I'm very happy with the Icom as an alternative to the Flex. If I were to go back to SDR it would have to be the Flex 5000, purely for the low fan noise... that bugged me on the 3000.

Ray
EI3GD

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 05:08 Send this review to a friend
can't let go of it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the full line of 756 Pro's and have had this Pro III for about a year. I have a case of wandering eye from time to time and look around for other, newer transceivers. But each time I do I realize what a great radio I have and can find NO good reason to spend thousands more for another rig. The spectrum scope is great and I've noticed that lately Yaesu and Kenwood have come out with rigs that have the built in scope, but for a heck of a lot more money than what you pay for a Pro III. I'm 80% CW op and find the QSK is fantastic - love it. DSP works well and all the filtering options really helps out big time in a contest weekend. My urge to sell a rig and buy a new one is being suppressed for now - just can't justify giving this one up. And to add one last point: I owned a Pro III earlier and decided to try the upgrade to the 7600. But after two weeks of operating it I found no reason not to go back to the Pro III. I sold the 7600 and found another great Pro III.