Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756 Pro III
ICOM IC-756 Pro III Reviews: 222 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2700
Description: IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

4L2M Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very good transceiver, but no idea how to cancel defeat points every 100khz

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 10:14 Send this review to a friend
One of the best ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first full size HF rig, love everything about it. Spectrum scope is a great feature, now I feel blind when using other rigs without the scope. Paid about $1600 on ebay a couple of years ago.
I may just have this one the rest of my life. Total keeper.

KB9NGX Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2014 04:30 Send this review to a friend
Completely satisfied.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Radio has been in almost daily operation for eight years. And without problems. It is refined/seamless,and easy to use. And I have been able to operate under the worst of Conditions. These qualities and dependability allow me to appreciate the Hobby.

W9LVM Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2013 13:16 Send this review to a friend
Display problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got a email back from Icom on some units that have a problem with taking display some times 10 minutes to get up all the way! After IC-756PRO they change back lighting on the Pro2 and Pro3! If you would like copy of email go to QRZ.COM for my email address! Other then that issue I love the radio! Just why is it when they have a problem they do not fix the radio?

EI3GD Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2013 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sold my Flex 3000 after 18 months, I just wanted to try something else and decided on the Pro 3 after much research and debate.
The Flex 3000 set a high bar in terms of receive performance and feature set so it would be hard to top, I was afraid of disappointment.
However I'm happy to report the Pro 3 is up to the challenge.
*Receive performance and DSP filtering is superb and a joy to use.
*Pre-recorded CW and voice phrases are easy to use.
*Noise blanker seems slightly better than the Flex.
*Obviously the panadaptor display on the Flex is second to none and the Pro3 is no match here. So I prefer to use the Pro 3 without panadaptor, the refresh rate is just slow for my liking and just distracts me. But it's still nice to have it and I can still see myself using it at times.
*The dynamic tune(accelerated when turned fast) on the Pro 3 is very nicely implemented, making it a breeze to scan any band in just a few seconds.
*CW is where the Pro 3 really tops the Flex, no delay and silky smooth to operate with full or semi QSK, the Flex was weak in this respect.
*Fan noise was an issue on the Flex, especially on long overs or extended operation. But no such issue on the Pro 3 the fan is hardly noticeable.
*Memo pad is a very useful feature on the Icom.
*Variable IF down to 50hz works well on the Icom, just as good as the Flex. By the way, 25 hz on the Flex 3000 does not work and it seems to be reserved for the Flex 5000).

So all in all I'm very happy with the Icom as an alternative to the Flex. If I were to go back to SDR it would have to be the Flex 5000, purely for the low fan noise... that bugged me on the 3000.

Ray
EI3GD

K2JF Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2013 05:08 Send this review to a friend
can't let go of it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the full line of 756 Pro's and have had this Pro III for about a year. I have a case of wandering eye from time to time and look around for other, newer transceivers. But each time I do I realize what a great radio I have and can find NO good reason to spend thousands more for another rig. The spectrum scope is great and I've noticed that lately Yaesu and Kenwood have come out with rigs that have the built in scope, but for a heck of a lot more money than what you pay for a Pro III. I'm 80% CW op and find the QSK is fantastic - love it. DSP works well and all the filtering options really helps out big time in a contest weekend. My urge to sell a rig and buy a new one is being suppressed for now - just can't justify giving this one up. And to add one last point: I owned a Pro III earlier and decided to try the upgrade to the 7600. But after two weeks of operating it I found no reason not to go back to the Pro III. I sold the 7600 and found another great Pro III.

AD5EM Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 06:06 Send this review to a friend
Still my favorite  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 756ProIII (new) after my well used 756Pro took a lightning hit 5 years ago. This was just before they discontinued the 756 line. Everytime I consider selling the ProIII, I just go use it and the decision to keep it is made. I've run other radios and there are a lot of good ones out there, but the ProIII hits the balance, for me, of performance, ease of use and value. In my opinion, it would be hard to do any better.

K7ER Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2013 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my ProIII for 4 years now, I have to say it has been a great rig. I have used it alot in PSK,SSB & CW with great results. I have also have been involved in contesting running the rig for 36 ours at a time without a hitch. When the 7600 came out I thought should I upgrade? Then I came to my senses and could not justify the upgrade, when I feel that my ProIII has surved me so well. I really did not have much to justify the extra cost. I really enjoy all the features of this fine rig. Some will say get a K3, but for the cost with the pan adaptor is not something I am really not ready to spend the money for. I believe any rig is only as good as your antenna system. Anyhow in closing I belive that the Pro series have been a stellar proformer and will continue it legacy..

K7ER

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2012 18:00 Send this review to a friend
A rif for the ages!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well now, I am well into my 3rd year of owning this outstanding rig. Can ya believe..in a moment of weakness I actually thought about selling my rarely used ProIII? Unbelievable, that I would EVER part with this simply awesome rig from Icom. In the past 2 weeks, I sold my Yaesu FT-450AT, and a few other components, put my ProIII in my front room, and now use it pretty much every day. This was a rig I came to view as the culmination of a lot of saving, selling, and just plain patience. I figured that since I put so much of myself into getting this rig that this was not a rig to use on a daily basis, but as the showcase, to show some that..look..look..I have the Icom 756 ProIII! So the rig sat mostly unused, except for occasional days when I figured I would blow the dust out of it. Here I am with a rig I've had for 3 and a half years with less than 40 hours of use on it.

So now that I moved it to my Lazy Boy HF station (see my bio for an explanation). I just this week bought a Heil Handi Mic HM-IC, don't get me wrong, the stock the HM-33 I think it is works superbly. I have been getting great signal reports on an HF net that I participate in, then when I put this Handi Mic on, Thursday 8-16-12 was the first day I used..and so it started again, Mark..don't know what rig your using..don't stop. ou're the loudest I've heard so far..what mic are you using. I can't give all the credit to the mic, far from it.
I would say 99% of the credit goes to this wonderful electronic communications device known as the Icom IC-756 ProIII, the other 1% goes to this really comfortable microphone by Bob Heil.

Truly, the IC-756 ProII is a rig for the ages. Have you seen what these rigs are commanding on the used market, they are retaining almost the full market value..for a rig that has been out of production for nearly 4 years to be asking, and folks paying what they sold for new is a testament to the incredible engineering by the folks at Icom. I think the only rig that comes close is the FT-1000MP-MKV, which is another truly incredible rig. But we are reviewing the 756 ProIII aren't we? That said, since I took the protective..hand made covers off my ProII, getting my ALS-600 amp, all the antennas and the tuner to play nice,(no big deal really),I disconnected the FT-450, took everything off my operating position and then put it all back with the ProII and matching power supply back in. I have made more contacts with this rig in 2 weeks than I have in the past 6 months with the 450. Don't get me wrong, my FT-450 is/was a great rig, I had an awful lot of fun using that rig, and I'm kidding when I say I made more in 2 weeks with the ProIII than in 6 months with the 450. It just seems like I did. Recieved audio on the ProIII is so much clearer, easier to understand, transmit without a doubt, the 756 ProIII out preforms any rig I have ever had in my shack, and there have been plenty. FT-897D,FT-857D, IC-746Pro 2 different ones, 706's all flavors. I have had quite a few rigs over the past 10 years..none of them hold a candle to my ProIII. This is one rig that will stay in operation for a long,long time to come. Looking forward to having a QSO with you from me and my 756 ProIII to you and your outstanding rig.

73 de Mark
AI4HO
Formerly W3LZK

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 13:13 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the recent opportunity to upgrade from my ProII, which was impressive on it's own merits, to the ProIII. My particular unit has the Inrad roofing filter installed. That should put the dynamic range, for close spaced signals up at least even, and maybe better than the IC-7600. It sure sounds good to my ears. With the difference between a good used ProIII and an IC-7600 hovering around $1300 in today's market, one has to ask himself if that money would be better spent on the antenna system, or updating the radio. Just my 2 cents.
Look at the features, and performance you get from rigs in this price range. For MY style of operation, the Icom Pro-series rigs have it in the bag, and I don't see this one leaving the top of MY list, or desk, for a LONG time.