Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756 Pro III
ICOM IC-756 Pro III Reviews: 236 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2700
Description: IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2018 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Happy birthday to me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been just over a year since I traded my Yaesu FTDX-1200 for a PROIII. There were some undisclosed problems with the radio, but new parts were obtained from Icom and issues resolved.

In my 28 years as a ham, I have had many different radios in the shack. Worth mentioning, the Kenwood TS-830, TS-870, TS-940, Yaesu FT-990, FT-1000 Mark V, FT-2000 and others. Each of them have their own merits, and I had likes and dislikes for each. Around 2007 I owned the original 756PRO, so the PROIII was not that unfamiliar to me.

I can honestly say, the PROIII is one of the best. I find the receiver just superb and all it's associated controls only enhance it. The transmitter works just fine, full output in all modes, including RTTY, for extended periods of time without issue. I have modified the internal fan to run full time, just enough on receive to keep the radio cooled. I also added a 24VDC fan on the rear to pull the hot air out. Running at 12V it runs half speed, reducing stress on the fan, but still allowing cooling of the radio.

From what I have read, the biggest issue plaguing the PRO series is failure of the LCD display. This is caused by an open inverter coil (now obsolete) or blown transistor in the inverter circuit (still available). So if the inverter coil goes, the radio is basically useless, unless you use Ham Radio Deluxe or some other software to read the frequency.

As I was concerned about this, I decided to be proactive. I started looking at ways to eliminate the need for the HV inverter circuit altogether. I found an ultra thin LED strip that fits inside the LCD panel itself and runs off 12V. It comes with a driver board that can be powered from the back of the display board. The result is a nice bright LCD display that looks like new. You still get some adjustability from the brightness control, although not as much as the original CCFL tube, but perfectly acceptable. I also disable the HV circuit which probably eliminates some receiver noise, not that you hear it in the first place. Now, I never have to worry about the display failing.

Operating the PROIII is pure joy. If you can find one at a good price, grab it, you won't regret it.

I'm more than happy to do this upgrade for others, you can email me for pricing.

MI0GTA Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2018 06:36 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A rig I've always wanted and finally after years of searching for one, I've finally bagged a proiii...
The price for them here in the UK is usually around the 1k to 1.2k mark on them and I found mine fully boxed, mint condition for a lot less from a brilliant dealer called Dave.. as we say here in Derry, Happy days.... 73 MI0GTA...

KD6CCP Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2018 20:32 Send this review to a friend
Great ears!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I purchased this clean machine from a fellow ham at a great price. The last icom I owned was a 730 in 1994. Having mis read the mic wire diagram and fried it a month later. So kenwoods (520, 850s, 480sx, 590g, three d710, three 732s, and a few ht) and a few Yaesu (950, 100d a few dual band mobles and hts) is where I landed. Only having sold the 950 I didnt need another radio, but wth.

I was surprised at the great audio this radio has, great ears great filters. Doing a few A-B comparisons the icom could take a weak station and make it legible ssb/am with a nice tone. I suspect this is another keeper. Sure its a bit old but a great value in todays market for the money. Very happy.
G4RNW Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2017 08:14 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned this one since new for 8 or 9 years. Still pleased with it. No problems of late (CI-V socket faulty when new) and still get good audio reports using an Adonis desk mike. I don't feel any need to upgrade at all at present.
SA3AYF Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2017 09:46 Send this review to a friend
Amazing. No more, no less.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had my current radio a long time, and the pro + pro II before that.
I also had an IC-7600 for a couple of years.
This is like having a more analog 7600 more or less.

With a measured (!) ip3 of +30dBm it is in parity or better than most newer rigs. The filtering is wonderful (even on CW, I do not agree with the lesser reviews on that matter) and very effective.
It will put out 100W plus any day, as long as the tuner is not used. The tuner will, for obvious reasons decrease the output by 5-10W depending on the load. But show me the tuner that dont have some degree of loss ?

In short, it is a very good sounding (bort rx & tx) radio with all the filtering you need.
It will tune just about anything, even above 3:1 !

A word of advise:
If you dont want to ruin it, please do not mod it in to a 150W CB abomination, this will render it worthless! None of the tuning or output circuitry was made with this in mind and will tell you that in plain, white smoking language, Repairing and restoring that mess will make any technician stay away !

Otherwise, it wil last you a very, very long time and be very gentle on your ears (and nerves, Hi!) used and set properly !

I recommend it without any reservations :)
KB5RU Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2017 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Same fine radio as the 7300  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I never owned a Icom radio until I bought a 7300 the first week they came out. Six months later I came across the Pro 3 like new with box,hand mic, power cord, and manual at a low price. I have the two radios side by side with both connected to a sp23 speaker. I put a SM30 Icom desk on both radios. The pro 3 is now my main radio and the 7300 my back up. On the air I am told the sound the same. The recovered audio at the speaker sounds the same. The radio is excellent and it is a little faster to operate than the 7300 because it has more button's. I don't care about two receivers and the external display so for me the 756 pro 3 and the 7300 are the same and direct sampling in the 7300 is the same as as the pro 3's superhet. I can not hear the any difference.
VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2017 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently took an Icom 756PROIII on trade for my Yaesu FTDX-1200. The Yaesu is a good radio, but without a live waterfall, like the Icom 7300, it's just a gimmick. Also got tired of having to go into a menu to enable a control all the time.

I picked up the PROIII and was impressed with it's condition. Unfortunately, there was an issue with low output power on 10 and 12m, which was not disclosed before the deal. Examining the filter board revealed the problem. The coils for the 22-30MHz range were completely cooked. One coil in fact was so badly burned, the core was cracked in two places. A previous owner was obviously using the radio on 11m. New parts were received from Icom and installed and radio now works as it should.

Using the PROIII is sheer pleasure. The DSP filtering is fantastic and very helpful in crowded band conditions or during a contest. On CW or PSK31, you can narrow the bandwidth down to 50Hz, without any ringing whatsoever. On RTTY, the built in dual filter is a big asset during weak band conditions. On SSB you can dial the RX out to 3.6KHZ and set up three different customizable bandwidths on the fly. The possibilities are endless. TX audio can be set up to 2.9KHz wide, with adjustable bass and treble setting for three different customizable bandwidths. I use a Koss SB40 headset straight into the radio with great results.

Overall I am very happy with the PRO3. Did I mention it's very customizable! Although my radio is a little over 10 years old now, it still holds its own with the newer radios. Over the past year I've had an FT990, FT950, FT-1000 Field, TS-2000, FT-2000 and FTDX-1200, so lots to compare it to. It is still very desireable in the used radio market, with prices right up there with the more newer models. I previously owned an original 756PRO, and regretted selling it at the time. I don't think I'll be parting with the PROIII any time soon.

If you can find one in good shape, jump at the chance.
W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2017 11:32 Send this review to a friend
One of The Best!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Every now and then a radio manufacturer would come up with a product and just simply wipes out the competition. This is on of them. Why they discontinued it I don't know.
I will not go into details about the radio because all of us already know it's a fine piece of equipment but I will say this.
If you come across one, but it, you won't regret it.
K4DSB Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2016 11:24 Send this review to a friend
a performance classic..still excellent investment used  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This famous radio I believe was the BEST in the Pro series... its dynamic range is up with todays radios. Its band scope is useful and faster than previous versions. It has few problems and great sound audio ( with the correct mic) dual VFO's 32 bit DSP and variable bandpass ... easy to learn to use. Menus are intuitive..even decodes RTTY and digital voice recorder. This is a strong DX radio and famous for many in contesting. YOU should see many in good to excellent shape for under $1500.. Its original $ was close to $2800 new so its holding value.... love this radio
VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2016 10:06 Send this review to a friend
CLASSIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
whats not to like about this radio?i bought a new pro 3 in 2009 before they ran out of stock. srtill havethe radio,and recently bought another used one in great shape.. I looked at the 7600,and feel the price difference was not justifiable.. for 1400 you get a workhorse radio that does it all.. it doesn't have all the fandango computer hookups like the "modern"rigs do in 2016/17,but these radios are solid.. I mimic all the good points mentiones in the reviews.. would I buy another? yep,if the price was bet..