Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756 Pro III
ICOM IC-756 Pro III Reviews: 230 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2700
Description: IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

VE3TMT Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2017 09:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently took an Icom 756PROIII on trade for my Yaesu FTDX-1200. The Yaesu is a good radio, but without a live waterfall, like the Icom 7300, it's just a gimmick. Also got tired of having to go into a menu to enable a control all the time.

I picked up the PROIII and was impressed with it's condition. Unfortunately, there was an issue with low output power on 10 and 12m, which was not disclosed before the deal. Examining the filter board revealed the problem. The coils for the 22-30MHz range were completely cooked. One coil in fact was so badly burned, the core was cracked in two places. A previous owner was obviously using the radio on 11m. New parts were received from Icom and installed and radio now works as it should.

Using the PROIII is sheer pleasure. The DSP filtering is fantastic and very helpful in crowded band conditions or during a contest. On CW or PSK31, you can narrow the bandwidth down to 50Hz, without any ringing whatsoever. On RTTY, the built in dual filter is a big asset during weak band conditions. On SSB you can dial the RX out to 3.6KHZ and set up three different customizable bandwidths on the fly. The possibilities are endless. TX audio can be set up to 2.9KHz wide, with adjustable bass and treble setting for three different customizable bandwidths. I use a Koss SB40 headset straight into the radio with great results.

Overall I am very happy with the PRO3. Did I mention it's very customizable! Although my radio is a little over 10 years old now, it still holds its own with the newer radios. Over the past year I've had an FT990, FT950, FT-1000 Field, TS-2000, FT-2000 and FTDX-1200, so lots to compare it to. It is still very desireable in the used radio market, with prices right up there with the more newer models. I previously owned an original 756PRO, and regretted selling it at the time. I don't think I'll be parting with the PROIII any time soon.

If you can find one in good shape, jump at the chance.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2017 11:32 Send this review to a friend
One of The Best!!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Every now and then a radio manufacturer would come up with a product and just simply wipes out the competition. This is on of them. Why they discontinued it I don't know.
I will not go into details about the radio because all of us already know it's a fine piece of equipment but I will say this.
If you come across one, but it, you won't regret it.

K4DSB Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2016 11:24 Send this review to a friend
a performance classic..still excellent investment used  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This famous radio I believe was the BEST in the Pro series... its dynamic range is up with todays radios. Its band scope is useful and faster than previous versions. It has few problems and great sound audio ( with the correct mic) dual VFO's 32 bit DSP and variable bandpass ... easy to learn to use. Menus are intuitive..even decodes RTTY and digital voice recorder. This is a strong DX radio and famous for many in contesting. YOU should see many in good to excellent shape for under $1500.. Its original $ was close to $2800 new so its holding value.... love this radio

VE7REN Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2016 10:06 Send this review to a friend
CLASSIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
whats not to like about this radio?i bought a new pro 3 in 2009 before they ran out of stock. srtill havethe radio,and recently bought another used one in great shape.. I looked at the 7600,and feel the price difference was not justifiable.. for 1400 you get a workhorse radio that does it all.. it doesn't have all the fandango computer hookups like the "modern"rigs do in 2016/17,but these radios are solid.. I mimic all the good points mentiones in the reviews.. would I buy another? yep,if the price was right.you bet..

KL2EC Rating: 5/5 Jun 13, 2016 10:36 Send this review to a friend
wonderful rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this rig a couple of years ago just as the 7600 came out, and am still impressed with the performance. I noticed that they are borning out my choice because the used prices are still up there!

N0ODK Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2016 16:20 Send this review to a friend
Great radio, always works.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The ICOM IC-756PRO III has been an excellent radio for me over the years. The model was on many DXpeditions and the price of this radio still stays steady between $1800 and $1400 pending condition on several used website pages.
I use it as my main radio never having any problems with the radio. Performance, user friendly, and excellent DSP. No problem during contests. Highly recommend it.
Mike
n0odk

N0YXE Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2015 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Rolls Royce radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my radio for seven or eight years and would never think to sell it. I is perfect and is still like new. I am also using another Icom in another room, too. If you can purchase a good used one you will enjoy it for many years, too. It's still state-of-the-art and wonderful to use.

VE7AGW Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2014 10:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've always wanted one of the IC-756ProIII radios at least since they came out with the ProIII. And I finally found one that was a one owner and in top shape. This radio has a lot of the same feature that are found on the 7700 & 7800 series. The RX filtering system is second to none and it works like a charm. I've mated my 756ProIII with an Alpha 86 which only requires about 35 watts drive to get 1500 watts output. Thus making the radio run smoothly without much effort on transmit. The main thing I like about the radio is the DSP with the digital IF filtering system it allows you to filter out a strong signal that is right next to a weak one that you are after. Icom perfected this on the 756Pro series before putting it in the 7700 & 7800. The radio is very user friendly at least I found it that way for some it may seem over whelming at time. I gave the radio a 5 star because of the DSP and user friendliness, making it a radio that can be mastered very quickly. So far I've had nothing but a great experience using mine.

4L2M Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2014 13:39 Send this review to a friend
Good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very good transceiver, but no idea how to cancel defeat points every 100khz

K6MTS Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2014 10:14 Send this review to a friend
One of the best ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
My first full size HF rig, love everything about it. Spectrum scope is a great feature, now I feel blind when using other rigs without the scope. Paid about $1600 on ebay a couple of years ago.
I may just have this one the rest of my life. Total keeper.