Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756 Pro III
ICOM IC-756 Pro III Reviews: 226 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2700
Description: IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

AD5EM Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 06:06 Send this review to a friend
Still my favorite  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my 756ProIII (new) after my well used 756Pro took a lightning hit 5 years ago. This was just before they discontinued the 756 line. Everytime I consider selling the ProIII, I just go use it and the decision to keep it is made. I've run other radios and there are a lot of good ones out there, but the ProIII hits the balance, for me, of performance, ease of use and value. In my opinion, it would be hard to do any better.

K7ER Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2013 08:42 Send this review to a friend
Rock Solid  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using my ProIII for 4 years now, I have to say it has been a great rig. I have used it alot in PSK,SSB & CW with great results. I have also have been involved in contesting running the rig for 36 ours at a time without a hitch. When the 7600 came out I thought should I upgrade? Then I came to my senses and could not justify the upgrade, when I feel that my ProIII has surved me so well. I really did not have much to justify the extra cost. I really enjoy all the features of this fine rig. Some will say get a K3, but for the cost with the pan adaptor is not something I am really not ready to spend the money for. I believe any rig is only as good as your antenna system. Anyhow in closing I belive that the Pro series have been a stellar proformer and will continue it legacy..

K7ER

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2012 18:00 Send this review to a friend
A rif for the ages!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well now, I am well into my 3rd year of owning this outstanding rig. Can ya believe..in a moment of weakness I actually thought about selling my rarely used ProIII? Unbelievable, that I would EVER part with this simply awesome rig from Icom. In the past 2 weeks, I sold my Yaesu FT-450AT, and a few other components, put my ProIII in my front room, and now use it pretty much every day. This was a rig I came to view as the culmination of a lot of saving, selling, and just plain patience. I figured that since I put so much of myself into getting this rig that this was not a rig to use on a daily basis, but as the showcase, to show some that..look..look..I have the Icom 756 ProIII! So the rig sat mostly unused, except for occasional days when I figured I would blow the dust out of it. Here I am with a rig I've had for 3 and a half years with less than 40 hours of use on it.

So now that I moved it to my Lazy Boy HF station (see my bio for an explanation). I just this week bought a Heil Handi Mic HM-IC, don't get me wrong, the stock the HM-33 I think it is works superbly. I have been getting great signal reports on an HF net that I participate in, then when I put this Handi Mic on, Thursday 8-16-12 was the first day I used..and so it started again, Mark..don't know what rig your using..don't stop. ou're the loudest I've heard so far..what mic are you using. I can't give all the credit to the mic, far from it.
I would say 99% of the credit goes to this wonderful electronic communications device known as the Icom IC-756 ProIII, the other 1% goes to this really comfortable microphone by Bob Heil.

Truly, the IC-756 ProII is a rig for the ages. Have you seen what these rigs are commanding on the used market, they are retaining almost the full market value..for a rig that has been out of production for nearly 4 years to be asking, and folks paying what they sold for new is a testament to the incredible engineering by the folks at Icom. I think the only rig that comes close is the FT-1000MP-MKV, which is another truly incredible rig. But we are reviewing the 756 ProIII aren't we? That said, since I took the protective..hand made covers off my ProII, getting my ALS-600 amp, all the antennas and the tuner to play nice,(no big deal really),I disconnected the FT-450, took everything off my operating position and then put it all back with the ProII and matching power supply back in. I have made more contacts with this rig in 2 weeks than I have in the past 6 months with the 450. Don't get me wrong, my FT-450 is/was a great rig, I had an awful lot of fun using that rig, and I'm kidding when I say I made more in 2 weeks with the ProIII than in 6 months with the 450. It just seems like I did. Recieved audio on the ProIII is so much clearer, easier to understand, transmit without a doubt, the 756 ProIII out preforms any rig I have ever had in my shack, and there have been plenty. FT-897D,FT-857D, IC-746Pro 2 different ones, 706's all flavors. I have had quite a few rigs over the past 10 years..none of them hold a candle to my ProIII. This is one rig that will stay in operation for a long,long time to come. Looking forward to having a QSO with you from me and my 756 ProIII to you and your outstanding rig.

73 de Mark
AI4HO
Formerly W3LZK

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 13:13 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the recent opportunity to upgrade from my ProII, which was impressive on it's own merits, to the ProIII. My particular unit has the Inrad roofing filter installed. That should put the dynamic range, for close spaced signals up at least even, and maybe better than the IC-7600. It sure sounds good to my ears. With the difference between a good used ProIII and an IC-7600 hovering around $1300 in today's market, one has to ask himself if that money would be better spent on the antenna system, or updating the radio. Just my 2 cents.
Look at the features, and performance you get from rigs in this price range. For MY style of operation, the Icom Pro-series rigs have it in the bag, and I don't see this one leaving the top of MY list, or desk, for a LONG time.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 15:09 Send this review to a friend
An Icom Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
The pro III is truly awesome

I had it from new, just before they got discontinued, so its a very late one.

It is still as brand new and it will definatly stay in my shack for the forseen future.

It works flawlessly, and the filtering is super, and along with the excellent display its everything i need from a radio.

Over the years i have had many radios of a similar spec, sat side by side the pro III simply outperforms them all.

If you have one, then keep it, or if you find one then buy it. These will only ever get harder to find, so hang on to the good ones.

Mine is a keeper, and unless i win the lottery i cannot find anything that i would call an upgrade unless i spend in excess of 5k

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2012 09:37 Send this review to a friend
An icom classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does everything exceptionally well. Excellent IMD numbers. One real complaint is the chezzy potentiometer control knobs on the lower left.They really fell short there. Otherwise an ouststanding transeiver.

k2vi

W6DRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2012 11:49 Send this review to a friend
This is rig is awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this rig a few days and I'm floored. The audio is crisp and clean, the DSP filtering is fantastic compared to the TS-2000 which I have sitting right next to it. I have been trying to get one of these for the last few months but am always getting outbid or too late to scoop it up on the classifieds. The menus are relatively easy, again compared to the packed sub-menus of the TS-2000. Most of the features are visually at your fingertips so I really have not had to resort to the manual. CW sounds fantastic which is good because I don't know CW and I use the MFJ-464 decoder/keyboard encoder to talk with the seasoned professionals. Very excited about this rig and can't wait to get the rest of the goodies I purchased to spice this thing up and get it running with HRD and the new MFJ-784B DSP filter for even further clean-up of dumpy static crashes and noise. I'll hang on to my TS-2000 so I have a dedicated 6m-VHF-UHF rig but pretty sure the 756 will take the brunt of my HF work.

Read the reviews folks, this is a mighty fine rig which will and has gone down in the legend book and if you can find one don't hesitate to snatch it up. Happy trails all !

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 10:14 Send this review to a friend
One of the best Icom ever made  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Pro III is a great transceiver , excellent performance and reliability. After nearly 3 years I have only praise for this radio. An Icom classic this radio will be used and compared to in the years ahead. If you can find one, buy it!

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 07:21 Send this review to a friend
MARS Mod is It  Time owned: more than 12 months
That must be the overall answer to some of these sets, the MARS mod that lets more functions occur. I need to do that for the IC-756PROIII and FT-897D.
Thanks great info....

K0SD Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2012 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a IC-756Pro3 for 12 years, recently got the Pro3. What a radio. Think this has the MARS mod in it, worked beautiful tonight on 60m PSK and CW at 100 watts, no problem changing to the new ch3 in memory either. Tuner works 100%. Have 3 sets of memories, 5 channels with USB-D for PSK, 5 for USB, and 5 for CW. Bought it used, came out of the box this way. Just got software so I can save all the memories and memory names, that really makes it nice. Tremendous on RTTY, can make qso's with the computer off. Tremendous radio on 6m also, bandscope outstanding. 160/80/40 does much better than the Pro with the better NB in residential area. Just a tremendous radio!