Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756 Pro III
ICOM IC-756 Pro III Reviews: 222 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2700
Description: IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 15:09 Send this review to a friend
An Icom Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
The pro III is truly awesome

I had it from new, just before they got discontinued, so its a very late one.

It is still as brand new and it will definatly stay in my shack for the forseen future.

It works flawlessly, and the filtering is super, and along with the excellent display its everything i need from a radio.

Over the years i have had many radios of a similar spec, sat side by side the pro III simply outperforms them all.

If you have one, then keep it, or if you find one then buy it. These will only ever get harder to find, so hang on to the good ones.

Mine is a keeper, and unless i win the lottery i cannot find anything that i would call an upgrade unless i spend in excess of 5k

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2012 09:37 Send this review to a friend
An icom classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does everything exceptionally well. Excellent IMD numbers. One real complaint is the chezzy potentiometer control knobs on the lower left.They really fell short there. Otherwise an ouststanding transeiver.

k2vi

W6DRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2012 11:49 Send this review to a friend
This is rig is awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this rig a few days and I'm floored. The audio is crisp and clean, the DSP filtering is fantastic compared to the TS-2000 which I have sitting right next to it. I have been trying to get one of these for the last few months but am always getting outbid or too late to scoop it up on the classifieds. The menus are relatively easy, again compared to the packed sub-menus of the TS-2000. Most of the features are visually at your fingertips so I really have not had to resort to the manual. CW sounds fantastic which is good because I don't know CW and I use the MFJ-464 decoder/keyboard encoder to talk with the seasoned professionals. Very excited about this rig and can't wait to get the rest of the goodies I purchased to spice this thing up and get it running with HRD and the new MFJ-784B DSP filter for even further clean-up of dumpy static crashes and noise. I'll hang on to my TS-2000 so I have a dedicated 6m-VHF-UHF rig but pretty sure the 756 will take the brunt of my HF work.

Read the reviews folks, this is a mighty fine rig which will and has gone down in the legend book and if you can find one don't hesitate to snatch it up. Happy trails all !

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 10:14 Send this review to a friend
One of the best Icom ever made  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Pro III is a great transceiver , excellent performance and reliability. After nearly 3 years I have only praise for this radio. An Icom classic this radio will be used and compared to in the years ahead. If you can find one, buy it!

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 07:21 Send this review to a friend
MARS Mod is It  Time owned: more than 12 months
That must be the overall answer to some of these sets, the MARS mod that lets more functions occur. I need to do that for the IC-756PROIII and FT-897D.
Thanks great info....

K0SD Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2012 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a IC-756Pro3 for 12 years, recently got the Pro3. What a radio. Think this has the MARS mod in it, worked beautiful tonight on 60m PSK and CW at 100 watts, no problem changing to the new ch3 in memory either. Tuner works 100%. Have 3 sets of memories, 5 channels with USB-D for PSK, 5 for USB, and 5 for CW. Bought it used, came out of the box this way. Just got software so I can save all the memories and memory names, that really makes it nice. Tremendous on RTTY, can make qso's with the computer off. Tremendous radio on 6m also, bandscope outstanding. 160/80/40 does much better than the Pro with the better NB in residential area. Just a tremendous radio!

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Transmit Only USB on 60 meters, no cw.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall I have really liked this radio set and still do,since March 2009. But a snag hit on getting ready for cw, etc on the new 5 March 2012 use of the 60 meter channels. Cannot transmit cw, or even use the built-in tuner. Cannot change the memory channel frequency for the new frequency of the middle channel. Did assign it to another available memory channel so can listen. Similar limitation on my Yaesu FT-897D. Guess the mfr may have some input later.

KG4OHE Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy with this rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've now had my Pro3 for nearly 6 months and have nothing but praise for it. Replaced my old faithful warhorse ICOM 746 (non-Pro) and I couldn't believe the difference betwen the rigs, especialy the Pro3 receiver!
As far as DSP complaints in earlier reviews, how can you expect a DSP to create a hole between overlapping signals when none exists! DSP isn't magic.

G4RNW Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2012 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Nearly 4 years on  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still go strong - So Far ! My only minor niggle is the tiny power adjustment pot, otherwise it has not dissapointed so far! I can't see myself trading this in, in the hear future.

I would still recommned this rig, even though it is no longer the latest technology. But it depends of course on what your priorities are. I am not a contester, just an occassional DXer and rag chewer.It is an easy rig to use and soon becomes instinctive.

You dont have to keep delving into the menus once it is set up to your liking.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jan 16, 2012 12:08 Send this review to a friend
756 Pro III Haven't found one better..yet  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 2 weeks I will have had my Icom 756 Pro III for 3 years, mine was one of the last batches of Pro III's to be manufactured by Icom before it went out of production. This rig is still impressive, the band scope is quite the thing, it as close to real time as you can get. Are there newer and better rigs out there..sure, for me though..I haven't found it..yet. The Pro III was and still is for me the culmination of 10 years of saving..buying..selling, upgrading to the point I'm at now. My other rig is a 8 year old IC-746 Pro, which in and of itself is a good rig. Will I ever sell my Pro III..can't picture it..maybe one day, when I really, really tire of her, but that time hasn't come. If you can find one of these rigs in great shape..get one, this is still a rig for the ages, still a viable contest rig, a will hold its own in most if not all applications you may want to use this rig.

73 de Mark