Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756 Pro III
ICOM IC-756 Pro III Reviews: 223 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2700
Description: IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/756proIII/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

KC8HXO Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2012 13:13 Send this review to a friend
OUTSTANDING!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the recent opportunity to upgrade from my ProII, which was impressive on it's own merits, to the ProIII. My particular unit has the Inrad roofing filter installed. That should put the dynamic range, for close spaced signals up at least even, and maybe better than the IC-7600. It sure sounds good to my ears. With the difference between a good used ProIII and an IC-7600 hovering around $1300 in today's market, one has to ask himself if that money would be better spent on the antenna system, or updating the radio. Just my 2 cents.
Look at the features, and performance you get from rigs in this price range. For MY style of operation, the Icom Pro-series rigs have it in the bag, and I don't see this one leaving the top of MY list, or desk, for a LONG time.

CR7000 Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2012 15:09 Send this review to a friend
An Icom Classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
The pro III is truly awesome

I had it from new, just before they got discontinued, so its a very late one.

It is still as brand new and it will definatly stay in my shack for the forseen future.

It works flawlessly, and the filtering is super, and along with the excellent display its everything i need from a radio.

Over the years i have had many radios of a similar spec, sat side by side the pro III simply outperforms them all.

If you have one, then keep it, or if you find one then buy it. These will only ever get harder to find, so hang on to the good ones.

Mine is a keeper, and unless i win the lottery i cannot find anything that i would call an upgrade unless i spend in excess of 5k

K2VI Rating: 5/5 Mar 24, 2012 09:37 Send this review to a friend
An icom classic  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does everything exceptionally well. Excellent IMD numbers. One real complaint is the chezzy potentiometer control knobs on the lower left.They really fell short there. Otherwise an ouststanding transeiver.

k2vi

W6DRG Rating: 5/5 Mar 22, 2012 11:49 Send this review to a friend
This is rig is awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had this rig a few days and I'm floored. The audio is crisp and clean, the DSP filtering is fantastic compared to the TS-2000 which I have sitting right next to it. I have been trying to get one of these for the last few months but am always getting outbid or too late to scoop it up on the classifieds. The menus are relatively easy, again compared to the packed sub-menus of the TS-2000. Most of the features are visually at your fingertips so I really have not had to resort to the manual. CW sounds fantastic which is good because I don't know CW and I use the MFJ-464 decoder/keyboard encoder to talk with the seasoned professionals. Very excited about this rig and can't wait to get the rest of the goodies I purchased to spice this thing up and get it running with HRD and the new MFJ-784B DSP filter for even further clean-up of dumpy static crashes and noise. I'll hang on to my TS-2000 so I have a dedicated 6m-VHF-UHF rig but pretty sure the 756 will take the brunt of my HF work.

Read the reviews folks, this is a mighty fine rig which will and has gone down in the legend book and if you can find one don't hesitate to snatch it up. Happy trails all !

W3UT Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 10:14 Send this review to a friend
One of the best Icom ever made  Time owned: more than 12 months
The Pro III is a great transceiver , excellent performance and reliability. After nearly 3 years I have only praise for this radio. An Icom classic this radio will be used and compared to in the years ahead. If you can find one, buy it!

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 6, 2012 07:21 Send this review to a friend
MARS Mod is It  Time owned: more than 12 months
That must be the overall answer to some of these sets, the MARS mod that lets more functions occur. I need to do that for the IC-756PROIII and FT-897D.
Thanks great info....

K0SD Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2012 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Had a IC-756Pro3 for 12 years, recently got the Pro3. What a radio. Think this has the MARS mod in it, worked beautiful tonight on 60m PSK and CW at 100 watts, no problem changing to the new ch3 in memory either. Tuner works 100%. Have 3 sets of memories, 5 channels with USB-D for PSK, 5 for USB, and 5 for CW. Bought it used, came out of the box this way. Just got software so I can save all the memories and memory names, that really makes it nice. Tremendous on RTTY, can make qso's with the computer off. Tremendous radio on 6m also, bandscope outstanding. 160/80/40 does much better than the Pro with the better NB in residential area. Just a tremendous radio!

W5FZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Transmit Only USB on 60 meters, no cw.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Overall I have really liked this radio set and still do,since March 2009. But a snag hit on getting ready for cw, etc on the new 5 March 2012 use of the 60 meter channels. Cannot transmit cw, or even use the built-in tuner. Cannot change the memory channel frequency for the new frequency of the middle channel. Did assign it to another available memory channel so can listen. Similar limitation on my Yaesu FT-897D. Guess the mfr may have some input later.

KG4OHE Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2012 08:28 Send this review to a friend
Very Happy with this rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've now had my Pro3 for nearly 6 months and have nothing but praise for it. Replaced my old faithful warhorse ICOM 746 (non-Pro) and I couldn't believe the difference betwen the rigs, especialy the Pro3 receiver!
As far as DSP complaints in earlier reviews, how can you expect a DSP to create a hole between overlapping signals when none exists! DSP isn't magic.

G4RNW Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2012 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Nearly 4 years on  Time owned: more than 12 months
Still go strong - So Far ! My only minor niggle is the tiny power adjustment pot, otherwise it has not dissapointed so far! I can't see myself trading this in, in the hear future.

I would still recommned this rig, even though it is no longer the latest technology. But it depends of course on what your priorities are. I am not a contester, just an occassional DXer and rag chewer.It is an easy rig to use and soon becomes instinctive.

You dont have to keep delving into the menus once it is set up to your liking.