Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-756 Pro III Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-756 Pro III
ICOM IC-756 Pro III Reviews: 236 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $2700
Description: IC-756 PRO III HF/50MHz All Mode Transceiver

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-756 Pro III.

AK2F Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2010 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Does everything I need and more  Time owned: more than 12 months
Does everything I need it to do and it does it well. Two features over older/basic rigs are the nice color band scope, and 100W 6 meters.
Works well on 6M - 160M and occasional general coverage RX. RX bandwidth on SSB can be programmed from 3.6 KHz to anything narrower. SSB transmit can be set to 2.8 KHz which results in unsolicited audio compliments using stock hand microphone.

Size and cost are good for my shack. I don't run contests, so haven't seen a need to chase after roofing filter craze. In my opinion, much of the QRM is right on your frequency from poor operators. I don't run pre-amplifiers on 20M and lower which helps dynamic range.

I've operated lots of other high end radios and haven't notice anything really performing better. If anything, some of the more expensive radios add more complication in user interface. I find the Pro II to be just about right for me.

These give one of the best bang for the buck in the used market, about $1300. Hopefully this will leave you some change for a good antenna and amp.
K3AN Rating: 3/5 Nov 22, 2010 15:59 Send this review to a friend
A Mixed Bag  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The Pro 3 is the third “high-performance” radio I have owned, after a TS-850 and then a FT-1000MP. I have owned the Pro 3 for a little over six months now (I bought it used), and have used it in several contests.

In my opinion, DSP just doesn’t cut it as the primary means of providing selectivity in an SSB contest with wall-to-wall signals. No, they’re not rock crushing signals and it’s not an IMD problem, but on a busy band you just can’t seem to find a vacant spot to set down and call CQ. Also, the Pro 3 has been relegated to the “junk heap of history” as every manufacturer except Icom now has a better-performing down-conversion radio. Finally, the Pro 3 Yahoo group has many threads about this radio’s excessive susceptibility to electrostatic discharge (ESD).

Ergonomically the radio is great, with no shortcomings to speak of. I LOVE the band scope, as well as being able to select among multiple settings for such things as bandwidth, AGC time constant and attenuator/preamp. There are enough knobs, buttons and switches so that pretty much every function is available without opening the menus. My hat’s off to Icom for doing a good job in that department.

If you buy a Pro 3 now you are buying obsolete technology. Since I could get close to what I paid for my used Pro 3, it won’t be long before I will be upgrading to a down-conversion rig.
W7WX Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2010 15:26 Send this review to a friend
Two Thumbs Up!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I don't have tons of experience comparing this to other rigs as this is the nicest I've run. However I've not had any problems with mine whatsoever.

The only thing I've never cared much for is the RF power level micro-knob. This really should have been located someplace more accessible and easier to see with a heavier and larger knob. It almost seems like it was an afterthought for Icom. Driving an amplifier is when I've found this micro-knob the most annoying, but still not bad enough I'd consider selling it. I just think a little more attention to this would have been nice is all. The other good things about this rig far outweigh this little annoyance in my mind.

I have also been spoiled in having a band scope, too. It's been very handy for me especially in looking for activity on bands that have little to no activity for lack of propagation.

This rig deserves a 5/5 in my opinion because it's performance and reliability have exceeded my expectations. It may have a few (darned few) faults, but it's been a good value for me.

Larry / W7LJB
AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2010 14:43 Send this review to a friend
Still an incredible radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well here we are, more than a year after purchasing my brand new in the box Icom 756 Pro III. I must say that this radio still impresses me, I get great signal reports when talking with others. I am really impressed with this rig on 40 meters, lately here in Fl. we have been having a LOT of noise in the mornings when on the Treasure Coasters Net on 7.135 from 8-9 AM each and every morning. With the ProIII I can usually not always notch out the offending noise. Whereas on my Kenwood TS-480HX the noise does get a bit over whelming. I suppose if I went ahead and installed the filters I wouldn't have some of these problems.

This review is not about Kenwood radios its about the 756 Pro III. I have not experienced any of the problems like some of the posts state. My rig has maintained all of its integrity, I use this radio daily and cannot find any fault with this rig. I know these rigs have been discontinued, if you can find a one owner rig and it is in good condition you can't go wrong with one of these radios.

73 de Mark
K7ACZ Rating: 0/5 Mar 28, 2010 19:07 Send this review to a friend
No Tx due to ESD  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a IC-756PROIII that I love when it is working. I have owned it for a year and a half and it has just experienced its third ESD failure, each failure is about six months apart. According to the Icom Service Center ESD static wipes out the switching diodes. No transmit but receives fine. They tell me they see this on 756PROIII's sent in from AZ, NV, NM, UT, and TX. If they are aware of the problem then I believe they should fix it as they did with ESD failures in their IC-746PRO. Instead they tell me it is my problem. Others on the Icom reflector have reported the same failures. I have installed ICE static suppressors connected to a 8 ft ground rod where my coax enters my house using all the information and suggestions on the ICE website and other sources. I have taken the suggested grounding procedures and use a LDG model DTS-4 ant switch which has a sense line connected to the rig. When I power off the 756PROIII all my antenna inputs go to ground at the point they enter the DTS-4. Icom had this ESD problem with the 746PRO to the point that they were repairing and modifying those rigs even after the warranty expired. They now have the same problem with the 756PROIII. If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear from you, otherwise this 756PROIII gets traded in for a FT-2000 when it comes back from repair. I don't feel I should be paying for Icom's design faults.
K4JCP Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2010 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Great rig for the price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had the rig for over a year. Best notch filter I have seen. Noise blanker is good if the pulse is short enough. The RF power knob is tiny and flimsy. Not up to the quality of the rest of the rig. Good audio on rx and tx. Gets complements on the tx audio with the factory settings. Would recommend this rig to anyone looking for a rig in this price range.
W0XX Rating: 4/5 Feb 15, 2010 11:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio...but...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had many different radios over the years and won't bore you with what. I find the PRO3 to be a adequate performer and won't go into all the numbers, etc. Already covered in product reviews elsewhere.

What i find that is somewhat disappointing is:

1. Lack of a second receiver
2. Implementation of the DSP could be much better, as in the FT-1000 series. Theirs is much more effective and better implemented.
3. DUal watch is okay but sure is much nicer when you run it with two built in receivers vs the same receiver. Kinda like XFC or listening to a split frequency. A double arrow control for switching back and forth between transmit and receiving frequency is actually, IMHO, just as good.
4. RF Control could be a better control knob on the radio instead of a micro control. You tend to use it when running an amp.
5. Up/Down would and should be standard as well as up/down within the same band as implemented on the older FT-1000 series. TS is a pain. On, turn the mail dial, off, fine tune. If you forget, you will dial past where you are wanting to listen. Again, poor implementation.

Numbers, well you read them already. They are okay but for a radio in this "price class" I expected better.

To me, this is a nice, very nice radio but mid range in performance. Definitely not contest grade material. IMHO.

GL to all.
AC4FS Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2009 11:53 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got my 756 Pro III right after Field Day 2009. It replaced a 12 year old TS-570S, and brother, the difference is nothing short of amazing! I love this radio!!!

Seriously, I'm working stations I couldn't even hear on the Kenwood, and the filters make CW during these band conditions very tolerable.

The retail price has gone back up, but when I got mine, it was an outstanding monetary deal as well. I paid $2,299.99, including matching power supply.
N8DC Rating: 5/5 Dec 28, 2009 05:42 Send this review to a friend
Love this rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this rig last November and it replaced a TS-570 that replaced an IC-735. I never really liked the TS-570 . The dsp and the receiver just didn't seem to be what I was looking for. Id worked a bunch of Dx with the IC-735 and I like the Icom stuff so I researched for about 3 weeks all the different rigs and settled on the ProIII.. I really love this rig. Too bad I didn't know that they had new models coming out with PSK built in but oh well. I love the FSK RTTY !. Ive done RTTY before with an interface but having lost my job last year and not having a lot of cash I really like the option of making a cheap cable to interface the rig to my computer. Im using MMTTY for RTTY and MMVARI to run PSK and although I havent done a lot of PSK I find it a fun and very interesting mode.. Having the option to wire the interface cable to the aux jack in the back of the rig is a big plus and keeps all the cables hidden . Ok enuff of that.. The rigs receiver is great. Im hearing stations ive never heard before even with the sunspot cycle at a low. I still haven figured out all the filtering after a year but im working on it.. The changeable filtering and stuff plays a big part in hearing the stations I couldnt hear before. Ive ran a couple RTTY contests full power and it doesn't even seem to break a sweat :) Im using a Heil HC-5 mic element with this rig and I get nothing but great audio reports from everyone I contact. I just recently put up a 6 meter antenna and im trying that band also along with a fair amount of operating on 160/80 and 40 meters with a fan dipole for 80/40 and an inverted L on 160.. For the big 3 and the Warc bands I have 3 element Yagi's. Ive used the internal tuner and it works well but having a KW here I pretty much use my old MT3000A tuner . Anyway its too bad Icom has discontinued this rig as its a lot of bang for the buck.
AD0NW Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2009 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I think this is a great radio. I've owned it for about two years now and I'm still finding ways to use it's many and various features.
I've also been the owner of the ICOM 7700, (it's gone) the Pro2 (sold to buy the 7700, a really good radio, but not up to the Pro3), the Ten Tec Omni VII and a Ten Tec argonaut (they're both gone.)
I 've owned a Kenwood TS940Sat (good old radio) and I still own a Yaesu 757gx which is a good basic rig with a great if simple receiver. I used to own a Yaesu FT450 and I hated it! I have a 706MK2g in the car and find it to be a really good mobile and I have a ICOM 703 which is a great QRP rig. I also have a ICOM 718 which I use for field day events and it's great for that.
However the 756P3 is one that is not leaving my shack! I'll probably own other radios; if I'm still around and able to breath, but the 756P3 will still be here in the shack when I do stop breathing.