Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Wireman #824 1 to 4 Choke Balun (VE2CV design) Help

Reviews Summary for Wireman #824 1 to 4 Choke Balun (VE2CV design)
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 0.0/5 MSRP: $37.95
Description: Coax to balanced line current balun 1:4 step up Ratio (VE2CV design)

You can write your own review of the Wireman #824 1 to 4 Choke Balun (VE2CV design).

K5YZS Rating: 0/5 Oct 17, 2004 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Over heats at 100 watts  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As a quick option to adding balanced line to my homebrew L-network, I purchased the #824 balun; rated at 5KW on the invoice and I was charged $38.95 plus shipping, but sales sheet in hand had price as $37.95. It overheated with 100 watts input and was warm to the touch and my hand test was about 20 watts dissapation (80 % power transfer). This was confirmed with LOWER antenna current to my balanced feeders with dual RF Ammeters. I got more antenna current at 100 watts using my Dentron MT-3000A. Some comments about this type of series/parallel connection of 2 each W2DU choke baluns says that there are no coupling flux lines with this design--something like paralleling two separate power transformer primaries and seriesing the secondaries to change the voltage. Dont waste your time and money; I sent it back for a refund and I lost S&H both ways. It seemed to receive ok, but the RF ammeters and heating confirmed that this is not an RF power handling device.