Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | PowerStreem PST-DU700 Help

Reviews Summary for PowerStreem PST-DU700
PowerStreem PST-DU700 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 3.4/5 MSRP: $DU700 115.00 DU500 96.00
Description: Battery voltage stabilizer: 12-15V input to 13.8V Output at 50 amps. A DU500 model is also available that handles 25 amps.
More info: http://www.powerstream.com

You can write your own review of the PowerStreem PST-DU700.

PE1E Rating: 1/5 Aug 29, 2009 15:58 Send this review to a friend
A shame.  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you need an efficient HF noise generator, this is the one.
It rivals my Rohde & Schwarz professional noise standard.
Kudos to the PST-DU700 engineers.

On receive it wipes out all HF ham bands thru its RADIATED trash ( on separately/independently battery powered receivers. )

If the receiver is powered thru the same battery as this PST-DU700 then the CONDUCTED noise ( thru the battery feed lines ) is also overwhelming.
No ferrite core remedy works for me.

The name DU700 suggests it runs 700 Watts.
It does not unless you intend to get rid of this device.
It runs ~ 250 Watts.

KB9LGS Rating: 4/5 Sep 20, 2008 13:09 Send this review to a friend
vfh perfect -- hf must ground  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one of these units which I use from a camper. I only operate from stationary positions. I find that this unit is absolutely fabulous for vhf. No grounding or the like is needed. I can just hop in the camper and I am ready to go. No problems with sagging voltages from the fount battery. I will grant the people here that hf is not quite so cool.

I have experienced the interference problems mentioned in the other responses here. Frankly if I was going to try for fully mobile hf I don't think this is the product I would choose. I might be able to get it working, but ....

For my situation with stationary operations, if I ground the unit in some manner, and as long as it is a reasonable earth ground it doesn't seem to be an issue. This includes paying attention to properly grounding the radio. I do this I go from the exact same descriptions as the people here, back to the it "works fabulous" that always seems to be available for vhf operations.

Now lets be specific here. I can hook just a battery up to the radio and use a kind of cheating minimum ground with no problems. No ground rods or the like. I hook this unit up and it sounds like I am in the middle of an rf storm. I then ground the radio AND the unit to an earth ground and I an back to the same service or a little better as with just a direct connect to a battery. It also will filter out a bad DC power supply to a usable power.

AB2MH Rating: 1/5 Jun 19, 2006 18:27 Send this review to a friend
Good unit - if you're not a ham radio operator!  Time owned: months
I bought this unit because it was recommended by a fellow eHam member. Ordered it and it arrived promptly via UPS.

Connected it to a 12V 110AH SLA AGM and the other end to my ICOM 746. It does what they say it will do. But the noise on this unit is awful. Hash and birdies on all HF bands from 160-10, with a dummy load connected. Same deal if an antenna is connected.

It even wipes out the AM broadcast band!

I give it a 1 because it turns on and gives a steady 13.8 volts. But no more than a 1 because the extra filtering is either not enough or is a flat out lie.

And to boot, they even link this page as a testament to how low noise it is, tests by "ham radio engineers." LOL!!!!!!

I'll probably either sell it on ebay to a ricer to use in his megawatt car stereo or attempt to filter out the noise.

But for my car I am ordering the W4RRY unit.

KB2TQX Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2006 06:37 Send this review to a friend
The Little Brother - The PowerStream PST-DU500  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was a little nervous after reading one of the reviews here that complained of excessive noise across the Ham bands generated by the DU700 unit, but since I could find nothing else on the market to do the job, I went ahead and ordered the little 500 watt brother of the DU700, the PST-DU500. I am very glad I did.

PowerStream shipped the unit promptly, and it arrived safely. I wanted to quickly check out the unit and make sure that it was electrically functional, so I cobbled together a setup using a 6 year old 17 amp-hour car battery jump-pack - just clamping the jump leads onto the input terminals of the DU-500 - and using a utility cord I use for NiCd/NiMH battery charging (crocodile clips one end 40 amp PowerPole connecters the other) for the output from the DU500. For a variable load I used my trusty old Yaesu FT-840 with a 100 watt dummy load on the transmitter output.

To monitor what was happening I hooked in one of my favorite pieces of power monitoring test gear, the AstroFlight Super Whattmeter (model 101N) which will handle simultaneous display of voltage (max 60 volts), current (max 70 amps), wattage (max 4200 watts) and amp-hours (max 94 AH). See here http://www.astroflight.com/ if you are interested in one.

Flipping on the DU500's power switch I saw the output voltage sitting at 13.9 volts for zero current draw. I then turned on the FT-840 which pulled 1.5 amps on receive, the voltage dropped to 13.8 volts. After setting the RF output to minumum, I pushed in the FT-840's MOX switch. At about 5 watts RF output the current draw was 4.5 amps and the DU500 output voltage was now still sitting at 13.8 volts. I then cranked up the FT-840's RF output power to 100 watts, this brought the current draw to 16 amps and the voltage hung in there at 13.6 volts - this corresponds to about 216 watts of power consumption. Pretty impressive! I checked on the input voltage to the DU500 from my battery jump-pack at at this level it had sank to 11.3 volts - well it's an old battery. I ran it at this level for about 2 minutes to see if the DU500 warmed up any, but its large heat sink remained cool to the touch.

Next, I thought I would see if there was any hash communicated from the DU500 through the DC power lines. Leaving the dummy load in place on the FT-840 I tuned through all the Ham bands and the S meter remained on zero and I could hear no hash of any kind on any band from 160 meters through 10 meters. That made me very happy indeed.

As far as the construction of the DU500 goes, the case is basically one large piece of heavy duty extruded aluminum. The DC input terminals screw are generously sized and comfortable accept #10 wire. There is a control terminal on the input side which controls an internal relay for remote power up/power down of the DU500. A nice touch is that both the input and output terminals are gold flashed for conductivity. For some reason, the manufacturer saw fit to put two sets of smaller sized output terminals on the unit, I would have preferred one set the same size at the input. Two status LEDs are mounted on the unit showing the presence of input (red) and output (green) voltage. There are two 20 amp automobile spade-type fuses on the unit which turned out to be wired in parallel, which seems a little odd.

Undoing 4 screws on the bottom of the unit lets you look inside at the works. There isn't much to see actually. The 5 TO-220 power transistors are mounted on one side of the heat sink and the other components are mounted on the PC board. It is NOT a glass-epoxy PC board, but it shouldn't see any thermal stress, so it should last OK. There is space on the side of the enclosure for a small cooling fan, but there's not one there in the DU500. Perhaps the same case is used for the DU700 which probably needs the extra cooling.

So overall I am very pleased indeed with the unit, and would recommend it to anyone looking to stabilize their Ham gear when running off battery power. Current price (March 2006) of the DU500 from PowerStream (www.powerstream.com) is $108.00 plus shipping.

WN7T Rating: 0/5 Feb 12, 2006 00:58 Send this review to a friend
Cavet Emptor!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the PST-7000 for mobile amateur radio use in my Chevy Tahoe. It was to function as a voltage stabilizer for a remote Optima Deep Cycle battery linked by solenoid to my primary vehicle power system.

Upon initial power up, a TREMENDOUS amount of noise was observed on the 160 meter band. The noise would almost overwhelm strong signals on the band, with a very irritating continual shifting of hash noise and birdies up and down across the frequencies. I could not believe my ears, at first! Unfortunately, the noise persisted on the 80 and 40 meter bands in the extreme. Perhaps it is quieter on the upper bands, but at this point, I just bypassed the unit out of serevice.

I contacted the company for help, as my experience seemed to be in direct oppositon to the reviews I read here prior to purchasing the device. A Dr. Lund responded that the device was never designed to be used for radio applications, only for audio stuff. I tried to inquire in follow up to my orignal email for help as to what design was employed to filter the DC/DC output, but my inquiry was ignored.

Don't even THINK about using this device in radio applications, you will be very disappointed!

G0CGL Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2005 12:37 Send this review to a friend
A god-send for mobile operations  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Maybe I was unlucky or maybe it was because I was an overseas purchaser, but I found Powerstream difficult to deal with. My emails were either not replied to in a timely fashion or not replied to at all. My eventual credit card transaction was not acknowledged and security of information was at risk of being compromised. Their CEO needs lessons in customer service.

But on to the product which is first class. There is nothing like this available in the UK and, now that the W4RRY unit is discontinued, there isn't much competition. In any case it is probably unique in that it's rated output will handle up to 40 amps. It will power a TS-480HX 200 watt radio at almost full output and still maintain very close to 13.8 volts out under such a load. I have run a deep cycle battery into discharge state at 10.5 volts and the unit still maintains 13.8 volts output. This is testament to the quality of the components and engineering. It makes mobile operation worry free - no longer do I have to be wary of dropping voltage and associated transmit audio problems. Well worth the money.

M0EEG Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2005 07:39 Send this review to a friend
Useful 13.8V power booster for 12V battery users  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use a Yaesu FT857D with ATAS120 for mobile 100W HF from a 12V 38AHr gel battery. Line voltage used to drop below 11.7V when tuning the ATAS, which is a problem for the FT857.

DU700 Arrived in UK from USA via UPS in 5 days with no problems. Attached powerpoles on 40A cable to the screw terminals in line with a rigrunner.

Excellent - does a good job holding the line voltage to 13.8V even when input drops to as low as 10V. As far as I know this product is unique, since similar buck-boosts don't seem rated to 25A continuous. Unit has a fairly quiet fan and solid metal construction.

NJ1K Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2004 07:32 Send this review to a friend
Very useful accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I run my entire station from 12 volt deep cycle batteries. Most radios require 12 volts or more to operate in a stable condition. Batteries do not provide 12 volts or more when discharged below 50% and even less when under load. This device provides a steady 13.8 volts with inputs as low as 10 volts. It will also make up for voltage drop in supply wiring when the batteries are installed remote to your station.

This device provides my station full output from full battery charge all the way to complete discharge condition.

During testing I used my spectrum analyzer (IFR A-7550) to check for RF emmissions. I didn't not detect anything from near zero to 1gHz.

I give this device "two thumbs up"...

K7SUB Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2004 15:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am really impressed with the stability of the output under varying input voltages. The only thing I was worried about was switching noise--evidently they have done a great job of filtering because I could not find any birdies on any of the HF bands. I haven't checked VHF but it stands to reason the switching frequency would be in the HF spectrum to start with. I'll add to this review after I've had more experience. My entire shack is solar powered so I will have a chance to run it though the paces.