Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ-299 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-299
MFJ-299 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $99.95
Description: Deluxe Desk Microphone w/Equalizer Controls

You can write your own review of the MFJ-299.

G3YVY Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2013 04:48 Send this review to a friend
Inradio version IN-908  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the Inradio badged version which was 50 cheaper. Identical in every way as far as I can tell. I had to put a 0.01 cap inside the mic from the audio pin to ground to stop RF getting into the mic. Its now working fine.

VK3COL Rating: 2/5 Aug 30, 2011 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Misleading wiring.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well after reading all these reviews I have come to the conclusion that people only have one radio. THE A B C switches do NOT isolate one radio from the other, in fact it is hard to figure out just what they do at all. You MUST unplug the leads you are not using or you could damage your radios.
On air performance is satisfactory, but all reports on HF comparing it to my ADONIS AM-503G give it 8/10, with the ADONIS 10/10 on my FT2000. It is now my FM radio mic as the reports are good on there. A battery is not required when using my TM-V71A.

N5VEG Rating: 4/5 Dec 25, 2010 09:55 Send this review to a friend
Decent but not plug and play  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got my 299 used from a local ham. It is in as new condition. I tried to use my own cable but it did not work properly so I had to order a specific cable for my Yaesu 857D.

After getting the cable and installing same, I got on a vacant 10 meter frequency with a local amateur to setup and test the mic. It took a while to get the right combination of the sliders on the EQ, but after that was done it sounded fairly good. Certainly better than the standard Yaesu hand mic. If your radio has an onboard compressor, you must turn it down or off for best results. One thing we did notice with this mic element is "It's Sensitive!". It will pick up a mouse breathing at 12 feet! You must experiment with the output settings and the "High,Med,Low" switch to get it not to pick up the sound of grass growing outside the shack!

The unit is very well made and works on Vox. I tried a few moderate distance QSO's with it after we set it up properly and all reports were good.

One note, when you use it on FM you must put the compression switch to "Low" or you will overdrive and distort. Plus, don't use florescent lights near the mic as it will pick up the emissions and create a "hum".

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2009 00:06 Send this review to a friend
Great desk mic for HF  Time owned: more than 12 months
Let me start off by stating that I no longer have my MFJ-299, wish I did but sold it in a package deal a couple years ago. but the entire 3 or 4 years I had this mic it preformed admirably. I used this mike most often on my first 705MKIIG, nothing short of outstanding. Worked extremely well on all the HF bands, even on 10 meter FM. On 2 meters and 70CM's it worked but my only issue with the mic my main use was on HF, if you went to 2/440 you had to readjust all of the equalizer settings to get decent xmit audio. Its not that it didn't work on 2 meter FM, you did have to readjust, it got to be a pain, so not having any other option but to switch mics whenever I went from HF to VHF/UHF.

Other than that one minor issue, the MFJ299 is a workhorse of a mic. I did splurge and bought the Kenwood cable and used the desk mic on my TS-480HX, that way I had the MKIIG for HF/VHF/UHF using the stock hand mic and on my Kenwood 480HX I used the MFJ-299 up untill I sold the 480, MFJ-299, and a Heil Handi-Mic about 2 years ago.

Would like to get another one to use with my Kenwood TS-570D/G, I have the MC-85 desk mic, but it just doesn't seem to have the same OOMPH that MFJ-mic has. Battery life on this mic was very good, I changed the battery maybe once or twice the entire time I had the mic. Once you get the equalizer adjustments made it was smooth sailing. It helps to have a monitor feature on your radio or another ham who can help with making the adjustments. in my case it was both, with the MKIIG a friend helped with making the adjustments, he lived on the other side of town and we picked a clear spot on 49 meters it took a while but got it mostly where it needed to be. Eventually hooked up with a couple hams on air and tweaked it further. With the 480, it has the monitor feature and was able to get it really,really close and with some on air help got it down solid.

Would I get another? You bet, for a basically $100 microphone, it does what its supposed to do and does it well, just wish I hadn't got rid of it, little did I realize what I had at the time.

73 de Mark
W3LZK

KB7SCV Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2009 09:23 Send this review to a friend
Nice, But..  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Very nice mic. I have a low/bass tone voice, hard to hear on noisy bands and you can adjust the equalizer and volume to fix that. The only thing I found bad is that they do not use a shielded mic cable. Out of the box it squealed on transmit with my Yaesu FT-897. I just removed the shield from some RG 8 coax and shielded the cable, connected to screw on radio and mic. About a 20 minute fix.
All signal reports are great now, every one says I sound a lot better now.

AI4WZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 18, 2009 14:46 Send this review to a friend
Great for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just read that the mic will work off the radio 8 volts and tried it, it does and the battery check range is at 85% good. ..... gonna save me some batteries. I made a "wall-wart" for it but had RFI problems and also tried to save $$ by making my own mic to radio cable and almost got it to work with a ferrite with a few loops, still RFI on 80M. Spring for the MFJ-5397I cable(Icom) and now life is good. I wish the finish was harder, very easy to scratch.
Not gonna put it on Ebay until I can afford a Heil.

SV2BWM Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2008 10:58 Send this review to a friend
Nice microphone, but tricky...  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have owned the MFJ-299 for more than six months and I always find new audio adjustments that match my transceivers.

It has a 4-band +/-12db equalizer (that's all you need after all) plus a bypass button, 3-position compressor, up/down plus call/vfo/mr/pf buttons, VU-meter display, on air LED, PTT/LOCK switch with time-out, output level, battery checker and 3-way (Icom/Kenwood/Yaesu) output selector: do you need anything else? I don't think so...

I removed the battery and made a connection to the TM-732's +8V pin, because I had to change it very often.

RFI was a problem in HF when connected to TS-850, but I overcame this with a ferrite ring in the mic's cable.

The 4-band graphic equalizer needs some attention in both HF and VHF because certain frequencies need emphasis for DX and local conversation.
I use for VHF +12db/2khz, 0db/1khz, +6db/540hz, +12db/270hz and for HF +12db all bands for HiFi ESSB and +12db/2khz, +6db/1khz, 0db/540hz, 0db/270hz for DX. Other adjustments may match your preferences.

The compressor stays always in low position and keeps the environment noise low.

You should buy a good set of headphones to hear the differences between adjustments very carefully.

First time I bought it, I was not very pleased but as time passes by I got used to it and I like it every time I use it.

Highly recommended from me...

73's Anastasios SV2BWM

F6IQA Rating: 5/5 Feb 20, 2007 12:36 Send this review to a friend
Nice and efficient  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I need to say that this is a great mike for use with your SSB transceiver. Most of the time I increase both medium adjustments and lower a bit high and bass for use on DX, and the oposite for ragchew local QSO (adjusted like a U for local and inverted U for DX).The audio is very nice and sensivity is great.

WB9DLC Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2006 17:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic / Great Value  Time owned: more than 12 months
After the last review I felt the need to review this mic when it is used as it is intended to be used - on SSB.

I've had this mic for 3 years. I get unsolicited comments about my great audio. This from a Kenwood TS440 circa 1986. I can monitor my own xmit audio and the graphic equalizer is very effective. You can configure your audio for a comfortable ragchew QSO or sharpen the audio for contest type QSOs.

I like the choice of 2 PTT buttons: a momentary PTT or a locking PTT button. I also like the timer on the locking PTT button (it beeps like a wristwatch alarm for about 10 seconds before it drops out - you can disable the timer).

The compressor works better than the internal Kenwood processor and provides 3 levels of compression. The equalizer can be switched in and out of the circuit.

Not mentioned in the manual is the fact that it will pickup voltage to operate from the radio. You do not need the 9v. battery.

The mic is on independent of the PTT so it works well with VOX.

At just $100 plus a cable ($20) I think that this is one of the best values out there. I believe this mic is also available from Pryme Radio.

I have been thrilled with it. I like the way it looks and I like the way that it works.

AK9S Rating: 2/5 Oct 22, 2004 07:06 Send this review to a friend
DIsappointing...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Let me start off by saying that you get a real nice desk microphone. The housing is made from metal and the finish is pretty good. The base is also fairly large for a desk mic. This is something that many of us have not come to expect from MFJ.

I purchased this product to replace the stock hand mic on my Icom IC-V8000 2-meter radio.

Unfortunately, the MFJ desk mic performed quite poorly compared to the hand mic. On-air reports indicated that the MFJ had less dynamic range and was not as loud as the stock hand mic. Many reports indicated that it sounded "nasally."

When I replaced it with my stock hand mic, I would get reports indicating significantly improved dynamic range (good highs/lows in my voice) and much louder audio.

Perhaps this mic may work great for an HF rig, but MFJ does advertise it for both FM and DX work for all types of radios.

I can't believe that this mic performed so terribly on a FM radio.