Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | ttl2usb.com -- TTL to USB cables Help

Reviews Summary for ttl2usb.com -- TTL to USB cables
ttl2usb.com -- TTL to USB cables Reviews: 44 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $40
Description: Trying to connect your radio to your new computer that lacks a DB9 serial port? Having problems with those off the shelf serial to USB converters? Need a TTL to USB cable? ttl2usb.com has designed and built what you have been searching for. Not only that we have done it for about the same price as you gathering all the parts, but without the aggravation.
More info: http://ttl2usb.com/

You can write your own review of the ttl2usb.com -- TTL to USB cables.

WV4R Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2008 08:56 Send this review to a friend
TTL2USB Truly "Plug-N-Play"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
TTL2USB

Truly “Plug-N-Play”

After much research & thought I decided to switch to USB interface for my hammy radio computer/radio interface… Bye Bye “DB-Serial”. After looking all around at the plethora of alternatives, I sent Email to G4HFQ. Bob responded quickly to my many Emails. Since I knew hams Personally who use his software, I decided to buy his “FTB” system for ALL my Yaesu’s… so quite logically I asked Bob which interface he personally recommended… “TTL2USB” was his reply… so… TTLUSB2 was my choice.

It took over a week to arrive with all the interface cables. It was a pure joy to just “plug-n-play” out of the box with the G4HFQ software & my DELL laptop with Windows XP.

I have never looked back on my decision to go G4HFQ & TTL2USB.

The little black box is pretty goof-proof. It has a green LED handshaking light and different jacks so you can plug/unplug everything & not monkey it up… UNLIKE other interfaces with fixed length pigtails permanently attached.

The price was fair and the cables were quite reasonable too… not the rip-off some companies charge.

So… for modular design, reasonable pricing, out of the box plug-n-play the TTL2USB earns the WV4R “Five-Star” rating.

73 es God bless, murf/WV4R.

KC2RGW Rating: 4/5 Mar 11, 2008 10:42 Send this review to a friend
Works as it should, recommended  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I give it a 4 simply because I keep forgetting that I have to add my own toggle switch to it to make it 'complete' as right now I have to keep opening the case to jump/unjump the pins when I switch to the 857D.

I run mine for

FT-7800
VX7R
FT-857D

Works great on all outside of the minor annoyance of setting and unsetting that jumper. Make a toggle switch stuck to the housing and it would be 100%. Easy fix though, just have to remember to do it.

N1FFF Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2008 18:49 Send this review to a friend
Great product - Great service!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using TTL2USB adapters for several years - I wrote the first review in this thread after I bout my first adapter from Rob 3 1/2 years ago for my VX7 HT. The TTL2USB adapter w/ VX7 Commander sure beats programming 400 repeater frq's into memory manually!

Well, I just added a Yaesu FT7800 to my VHF equipment, and picked up Rob's new CT-2 adapter to program it. The new version is a modular design offering different cables for different rigs. Plugged it in and it just worked. Great product. But I thought the connector from the modular cable was a little loose. I contacted Rob, expressed my concern, and he shipped me a replacement. Great service.

Great product. Great service.

W2LHM Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2008 11:00 Send this review to a friend
Great Hardware  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I use the CT-2 interface box and their cables for my Yaesu FT-7800R and 857D. All work flawlessly with G4HFQ’s memory management software (FTB7800 and FTBasicMMO). This setup is a great way to program these two radios. There is a jumper inside the CT-2 that has to be moved in order to use it with the 857; putting a toggle switch on the case makes that changeover less cumbersome.

VA3WYC Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2007 07:09 Send this review to a friend
Priceless  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had issues at the start caused by an improper com port setting. Rob was very helpful. Programming my FT60R is a breeze these days.

Yes, you can make one yourself and save the money but when one has no time and know how, this is the best thing to come since slice bread.

Looking forward to trying it on an ft7800.

W4FFM Rating: 3/5 Sep 5, 2007 12:43 Send this review to a friend
DIN doesn't fit the FT-8800R  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Functions well with the Yaesu FT-8800R but the case on the DIN plug is too large to enter the hole deep within which is located the Yaesu DIN socket. Removing the plug case and replacing it with a wrap of electrical tape did the job. I bought a USB-DIN cable on eBay and I'll report when I find if it has the same problem.

DO NOT let this discourage you from using a cable and the software mentioned elsewhere... it's great software!

K6RCS Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2007 21:37 Send this review to a friend
Straight out of box - works like a charm  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This marks as one of my best amateur purchase experiences to date. I bought the ttl2usb for my VX-7RB. Unfortunately I bought the USB to serial cable after I had setup the new radio. But I wanted my friend to benefit when he got the same radio before heading out on a trip.

This device works straight out of box and after downloading the drivers for one of my computers. Interestingly enough my laptop already had drivers installed so even this step was unnecessary. The device works perfectly as advertised using the VX7 Commander software.

But I have to give the award for service to Rob for helping me beyond even the most responsive customer service departments. He contacted me in response to my request to rush order the unit overnight even though he is in the same time zone as me and after returning from his own vacation. Wow! He made sure that I got my interface on time and working perfectly. Sometimes this seems incredible for some companies...not so for Rob. The only downside now is that I expect this level of service from everyone I deal with. Thanks for setting the bar, Rob.

I give this interface five stars for functioning as advertised and another 5 stars for the level of service from Rob. The price is decent - but the satisfaction of knowing it will work immediately as intended makes it even more affordable.

VK7JJ Rating: 2/5 Mar 9, 2007 20:21 Send this review to a friend
problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had no problems with the drivers or the TTL converter hardware but I have had problems with the cables. It seems almost all previous reviewers use the product with their VX7R HTs, where the cable issues are straightforward.

I also ordered the 8 pin mini-DIN cable for my Yaesu FT-857D and the 6 pin mini-DIN cable for my Yaesu FT-8900r

Problem 1) The mini-DIN cables supplied have plugs that are too large to easily fit the socket holes in the Yaesu, so you pretty well have to remove the plastic DIN plug covers and replace them with tape and heat shrink tubing

Problem 2) The unit will NOT work with a Yaesu 857 unless you open the TTL converter box (two small screws) and remove the shorting jumper.

The reason I am annoyed is there was nothing in the supplied literature or on the supplier's web site to tell you about that, so you have to email for help. And by that time you are pretty frustrated.

Not only that but it means I'll have to wire in a small switch in place of the shorting jumper, otherwise I'll have to take their box apart and change the jumper every time I want to use the 857 instead of the 8900 or VX7.

Despite now having removed the jumper, it still does not work with my 857.

I asked for the pinouts for wiring an 8 pin mini-DIN and was not given the information, despite pointing out that it appeared the earth (braid) on the supplied cable may be wired to the wrong pin in the mini-DIN according to the Yaesu user manual.

I have asked again and hopefully will be able to wire my own cable using an old Macintosh printer cable when I get the information.

All in all a disappointing experience.

VK7JJ

KD7CAO Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2007 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Best PC-Programming I have Ever Used!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this and the G4HFQ software and will never look back at the RTS stuff again. Best hardware on earth for the simplicity of it all. Now I just need to get my old RTS Icom programming software converted to a CD-Rom since I haven't found anything to replace it.

Great Job!!!!

KB1OHB Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2007 15:13 Send this review to a friend
just great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have the yaesu VX-7. I have both the ADMS 1G software sold by RT systems and the Commander freeware. Before buying the TTL to USB adapter I oculd not get the radio to communicate with the laptop AT ALL no matter what cables or adapters or program I tried. This little wonder worked the first time, and every time since. It only took seconds to install. Well worth it. It was an investment in my sanity!