Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Kantronics KPC-3 non + version Help

Reviews Summary for Kantronics KPC-3 non + version
Kantronics KPC-3 non + version Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: VHF/UHF TNC
More info: http://www.kantronics.com

You can write your own review of the Kantronics KPC-3 non + version.

ZL4AX Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2015 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Gold Standard Oldie  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a KPC3plus, but by a different name.
I've been using them for 27 years and I own many. Some have been running 24/7, 365days since the 1980's without a single failure. Does it get any better?
If you want technical details, check out the current KPC3plus. The old KPC3 looks almost identical, but the older case is much heavier quality and better finished. Inside the components are generally earlier types, and very robust. Firmware Eproms, memory, clock chips etc may be of earlier type than current 'plus' models, but can be simply unplugged and upgraded to today's spec. Bear in mind however, that the parts will require some basic re-fitting, and may cost approx $60 inc shipping for all the upgrades required. You may prefer to buy a brand new unit from the store.
However, you may get lucky and find your used unit on Ebay has all the work done already. It's a 'lucky dip'. Even in it's most basic form, the KPC3 has for decades been the most capable TNC on the market. It was a breakthough model that was so advanced, it's never been overtaken even into the 21st century, except by newer versions of the same model. This explains why the prices of used ones started to climb again five years ago like a classic car.

KC8QNO Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2009 18:23 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had one of these KPC-3 (non plus) units for many years. It has never failed me. Sadly Kantronics does not support these anymore nor do they give out the firmware. I am not happy that kantronics does not make this firmware available for those of us with older 5.0 versions. I emailed them and they told me to buy a newer model. So with a little searching I bought some EPROM chips from mouser for a few bucks and flashed myself a 8.2 version. What an improvement. It now works perfect on APRS with the 8.2 firmware. No need for a new tnc.

PE2EK Rating: 2/5 Aug 4, 2009 13:28 Send this review to a friend
does not do what i want  Time owned: more than 12 months
Is there any way of getting The Firmware/wa8ded software in this thing?
it's driving me crazy.
my other tnc is a tnc2c.h by df5ff it's capable of working 1200/9600 it comes with the firmware 2.7b and is compatible with most of the usual(free) packet radio software like paxon SP GP etc etc
the same for my pk-232 it just works fine with the new eprom with theTF2.7 in it(switchable to original eprom for other modes)

for the pk232 got pc pakratt for windows it works fine but the packet mode is very limited

bram PE2EK

AE4XO Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2006 12:38 Send this review to a friend
1992 still going  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first KPC-3 in 1992. It has run 24/7 365 since that time. I have used it on regular packet, SEDAN, APRS, MIR, etc etc. I think that the 'olden' days of packet has gone but new days and new ideas are making these older units usable. With the ease of upgrading the eprom to 8.2, even the old verion 5's can be used on Winlink and APRS with no problem! Great system, I have 3 KPC3 and 1 kpc3+ and they all behave well.

W5DAG Rating: 4/5 Mar 7, 2005 17:41 Send this review to a friend
Good, Simple TNC for VHF/UHF  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had my Kantronics KPC-3 (Non-Plus) for almost a year and have had good success with it. I my experience, it connects with many other TNCs and does a good job keeping track of packet mail within the unit. If it supported Pactor and APRS directly, I'd give it a 5. For what it does, it's a solid unit that has done a great job.

KB8ASO Rating: 3/5 Oct 24, 2004 09:57 Send this review to a friend
Good if you do not need support.  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you are buying one look for one with the version 8.2 ROM. Kantronics will NOT support this model any longer, either software or hardware. If you need a manual look at www.mods.dk . They have some Kantronics manuals available. I would have given it a 5, but without the support of Kantronics you might end up with a door stop if there are any problems.