Reviews Categories | Ham Shack Clocks | MFJ-108B DUAL LCD CLOCK 12/24 LOCAL/UTC Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-108B DUAL LCD CLOCK 12/24 LOCAL/UTC
MFJ-108B DUAL LCD CLOCK 12/24 LOCAL/UTC Reviews: 30 Average rating: 2.5/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: A CLOCK FOR THE HAM SHACK

You can write your own review of the MFJ-108B DUAL LCD CLOCK 12/24 LOCAL/UTC.

VE4AMN Rating: 5/5 Aug 21, 2017 10:56 Send this review to a friend
Very steady  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes the buttons on the side are crap... but I have had it for over a decade and just replaced one battery. Very easy to sync with WWV and it keeps accurate time. I only need to reset when we change to and from daylight savings (time to get rid of that anachronism!).

This is cheap enough and does the job.

W9MT Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 2016 20:12 Send this review to a friend
It finally died after 15 years...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Yes, I got my money's worth.

The buttons on the clocks are garbage. They take a lot of pressure from the pen one must jab into the switches' dimples to set the time.

I got tired of buying the correct expensive button cells and bought cards of different ones from Harbor Freight and at hamfests. I made this work for the last 5 years.

A new battery will normally last about a year. Both the local time 12 hour clock and the GMT 24 hour clock's batteries should be replaced at the same time.

This product is cheap enough if you want to live with or fight its quirks. I tired of doing that.

When the MFJ duo-clock finally died a couple of weeks ago, I tossed it and replaced it with a HomeMedics clock radio that had a 24 hour readout choice on its LCD.

I'm happier with that than fighting the old MFJ.

Plus my estate sale purchased HomeMedics radio also does babbling brook, t-storm, and other soothing sounds.

It also doesn't have the motor and moving parts of an old TyMeter drum clock that make grinding noises when they get old and tired (like me).

K1ZJH Rating: 4/5 Apr 17, 2016 05:41 Send this review to a friend
No problems, long time owner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this clock for eons. It works okay.

There were several earlier comments that need some clarification...

Regarding setting time: you set the frequency, and then you can start the clock by pressing a button. No need to synchronize replacing both batteries at once!

Battery cost: any of these button batteries are outrageously priced at the local ACE. They are dirt cheap online, esp. on eBay. I've only needed to change batteries three or four times since I bought the clock, which I believe was back in the 90's. Also, the battery contacts must be clean and snug, that will cause fading display and other problems that may lead one to prematurely replace batteries. They should last for years.

Accuracy: they keep pretty good time, but I notice I have to check them every few months and reset as needed.

It is not a bad product, nor is it an exceptional product... but since mine has worked faithfully for 20 years I can't complain!

WB2JVB Rating: 2/5 Mar 19, 2015 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Pretty cheaply made - two separate clocks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a pretty cheap setup. From the picture it looks like this is a clock with two time zones, and the selection of 12 or 24 hours display. What it really is, are two separate, non coordinates, plasticky clocks slid into a nice metal frame.

The frame is well built, but the clocks are utter crap. You can't get them to sync unless you put both batteries in at the exact same second. So you always have one click the next minute sooner. Not a huge deal, but just looks like crap when they don't match.

The "Sharp World Clock" on my Win 7 desktop is much nicer.

AB9RY Rating: 3/5 Nov 27, 2012 05:58 Send this review to a friend
ok, but.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine for several years and unlike some others, mine has functioned quite well. It seems to keep accurate time and the two pretty much remain synced with only occasional re-syncing needed. The issue that would prevent me from buying again or recommending it to others is the battery issue. My original batteries lasted for 3-4 years but they are very expensive to replace. What were they thinking?? I will not replace the batteries again but will junk them when these batteries die.

N4TL Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2012 17:08 Send this review to a friend
Works fine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the clock a number of years now. I only replaced the batteries once so far. One clock stopped working a few days ago. I cleaned the battery with a Deoxit Pen contact cleaner. The clock is working fine again. Both clocks run a little slow. Once every few months I push the bottom button to move the clock forward a few seconds and it fine again. Its important to keep the battery contacts clean, Deoxit works great for this.

KE7SA Rating: 1/5 Oct 20, 2011 08:12 Send this review to a friend
Battery killer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I won this clock at a ham swap meet. Nice, but I have to replace the batteries about every two months. Clearly, the button style batteries are too small to supply what this clock requires. The batteries are too expensive to keep replacing them. I'm going to build an external power supply that uses a cheap AA or AAA cell instead. There's plenty of room on the back panel. I'm going to drill a small hole for each clock on the panel to feed the wires through and connect them to the battery. Looking from the front, the modification will be hidden and still look good.

SWMAN Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2011 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Still going and going!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My little double clock is still going after a couple of weeks now. Believe it or not both have the exact second to WWV synch. I guess MFJ must use different clocks now and made them better or something. All the other reviews looked bad here. Hopefully it will keep running good as it has been. 73 Jim. W5JJG

SWMAN Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2011 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Good for me!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm gonna have to give it a 5 because mine works great.Both seperate clocks keep the exact time with each other. Small little unit but easy to see, looks good ontop of my radio also. MFJ makes some pretty good stuff now and then. Ok for me, no problems with this little unit so far. 73 Jim W5JJG

AB9RY Rating: 2/5 Mar 26, 2011 11:56 Send this review to a friend
Typical MFJ  Time owned: months
Although not very accurate, they have worked for about two years. Having worked more or less well for two years, I would have given a bit higher rating except for the fact that the batteries just went dead and it cost $10.98 for two batteries at Radio Shack. I realize I can get the batteries cheaper from on-line suppliers but I needed the thing to work now. I will not again pay for batteries for this thing. When these go dead, I will pitch them and get something that works off a cheaper AA or AAA battery. Like so many others, I keep saying I won't buy their products again and always do. MFJ strikes again!