Reviews Categories | Microphones | MFJ-288Y Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-288Y
MFJ-288Y Reviews: 4 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $25
Description: Deluxe Headset Mic for Yaesu FT-50R
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-288Y

You can write your own review of the MFJ-288Y.

KJ6WNS Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2015 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Works better than expected.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this headset assuming it would fit my FT-60, which it does. Th reason I say assuming is that as far as I can tell, there is no mention of the FT-60 in MFJ's description. I find that odd for a radio that has been in production for ten years. The first time I used it, which was mobile with my Diamond mag mount, I got an excellent audio report. In fact, it was assumed until I told him otherwise that I was on a base station. Almost immediately, though, there was a problem with the plug not seating in the radio, resulting in broken RX and TX and sending the radio into transmit mode. Even just touching the connector caused the problem. This is NOT a problem with the headset. This is a problem with Yaesu's poor design. It is a common problem with FT-60s with many headsets and speaker mikes, even their own. As much as I hated to hack a new piece of equipment to make it work, I reluctantly trimmed about 1/16" off the plastic connector to allow it to seat fully. Problem solved, no thanks to Yaesu.
The headset is comfortable, and I had no problem hearing my contact. The build quality is decent for what I paid. I've spent more on cell phone headsets that only lasted two months. There are no metal sliders on mine as the MFJ description says. It's all plastic. We'll see how it lasts in the long run. The ability to have the microphone element on either side and flex it to where you want it is a big plus.

AE6QG Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2005 20:19 Send this review to a friend
Very good HT accessory  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This microphone is a good deal and works as expected. I got it for my Yaesu VX-150. The headset fits comfortable (adjusts to any size head), and the boom bends and stays put, even while walking. The PTT switch requires hardly any pressure at all and easy to use. The cable section between the headset and the PTT switch is long enough to clip to wherever you need it, whether on your shirt or on your pants pocket.

When I first got it, my audio sounded a little low, but after removing the foam off of the microphone, I found that the holes to the microphone element were pointed slightly away. So I twisted it a bit and now the audio sounds great.

I'm not too concerned about the cable as other reviewers are. They seem to be on par with all the headsets I have at home.

WA6OWH Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2005 00:01 Send this review to a friend
Good receive and transmit audio and comfortable too.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The addition of a boom mike to the Vx 150 makes driving much easier. I have always used the speaker mike and found I had to hold it and drive with one hand and now I don't. I like the padded earphone as it blocks out some of the background noise and the receive audio comes through clearly. The transmit audio is solid and sounds good I'm told. The mike boom easily bends to the proper position. I too have concerns about the thin mike cord... so far no problems.

N0RQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 14, 2004 06:20 Send this review to a friend
great audio, comfortable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This $25 headset is well worth the price. The audio that it provides is signifantly better than the built-in mic in the VX-150, and especially in the FT-50. Neither of those has bad audio, but when you start using this MFJ headset, it is so much cleaner and crisper. It really does sound nice!

I like the little PTT switch, though the wire seems thin, making me a bit concerned about the durability of the wire. (I don't plan to yank hard on it to test it.) This unit does not have VOX, which I count as a good thing.

The earpiece is nicely padded, and provides plenty of volume. Wearing it for 3 hours straight is not a problem.

This headset is nice addition to a VX-150 or FT-50, especially if you use them for events where having both hands free is helpful.