Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | EmComm-Products RADS 9-11/A Help

Reviews Summary for EmComm-Products RADS 9-11/A
EmComm-Products RADS 9-11/A Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $398.00
Description: Man-Portable combo HF-NVIS & U/VHF system, designed for rapid deployment by one or two persons under emergency field conditions; on ANY surface. Handles 200W U/VHF, 250W PEP HF.
More info: http://www.emcomm-products.com

You can write your own review of the EmComm-Products RADS 9-11/A.

W7JRK Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2008 09:19 Send this review to a friend
Great portable antenna and wonderful customer service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used the RADS 9-11/A1 a couple weekends ago from the campground and was amazed at how easy it was to put up. With just the instructions included in the bag and my 14 year old son, we were able to put it up and get on the air in literally 15 minutes. The construction and quality of the materials are top notch and for NVIS use, I was able to check into all of the WA state area 75/80 meter nets from the picnic table with 50 watts and a battery pack.

The customer service I've received from EmComm products has been top notch as well. Although I had to wait a few weeks for my antenna (it does take time to hand build the antenna, and they don't make it until you order it and I was a little close to Field Day for getting my order in) they were very prompt and upfront with communications on the status and timing of my order. I have since order the inverted-v attachment for the RADS 9-11/A1, and even with all of the wildfires in their area, I'm still receiving almost daily status updates on my order.

WX7S Rating: 5/5 Mar 30, 2005 22:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent - Highly Recommended  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the RADS 9-11/A antenna for over a year now and I have to say that it has a permanent place in my 4X4. I'm part of 4X4 SAR as well as ARES/RACES and I'm also doing a lot of traveling. The RADS antenna is simple, easy to use, and very effective.

One of the tests I've run with it has been to use it with SGC's SG-303 & 307 whips and an SGC Smartuner (The SG-237 was the best of several) and it worked exceptionally well. I was able to operate VHF and HF at the same time and move rapidly around the bands as needed. Last year I set it up at Field Day and used it to operate on VHF and on PSK-31 with excellent results.

I've shown this antenna off to a number of people who are looking for a quick setup antenna that handles VHF and HF simultaneously from the field. If you're looking for that combination, then this is the antenna to get.

K7BHB Rating: 5/5 Dec 1, 2004 13:05 Send this review to a friend
Tremendous value!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Various leadership positions within ARES/RACES have taught me the absolute necessity of understanding and implementing NVIS antenna systems.

I have built and tested many prototypes from common hardware store components with great success; however, in the real world, problems result from the use of non-standard and non-durable materials; others have trouble finding similar materials, and duplicating designs, or just don't possess the fabrication skills necessary to get acceptable results.

The RADS 9-11/A system solves all of the above problems. For not much more than you would spend (waste?) trying to build something that would work, and last, you get top quality components and everything you need for any anticipated ARES missions: Regional HF, U/VHF, APRS, packet, pactor, cross-banding, etc.

The system readily lends itself to fixed site installation as well, using cross-wire dipole elements, making it ideal for stations located permanently at an EOC.

Adoption of a standardized system like the RADS 9-11/A within an ARES/RACES District or Section also yields the benefit that, once trained, folks from anywhere can help with installation and operation during disasters, or drills.

So, have fun experimenting and learning about NVIS; but, when its time to get serious about the mission, durability, and inter-operability, you need look no futher than the RADS 9-11/A.

KD7GMK Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2004 12:06 Send this review to a friend
Effective ARES Field Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired the RADS 9-11A for field use with my ARES group. I was looking for something that was easily erected in the field, with minimum effort and no worries about having the right tools. The antenna is everything is advertised to be, I set mine up in minutes by myself. Was able to hit repeaters 50 miles away w/o problems.

AB7ZQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2004 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Easy to Handle  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is easy for me to put up and take down. I have been wanting a good portable setup for a long time.

AC7ZQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2004 08:30 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It is easy to use and the types of hamsticks used allow you to pre-set tuning for the frequency you are most likely to use. Then all you have to do is switch hamsticks to quickly switch frequencies.

It is definitely worth the cost.

N7LQD Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2004 15:33 Send this review to a friend
Get what you pay for  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
We used it last field-day with an FT-817 and made dozens of contacts. This system, a battery, a QRP rig and you're in business, but it will handle much more power. Installation is simple, quick and very reliable. Our ARES group has grown to 3 units between members.

KK7TT Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2004 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Quality product and works!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great product and Company. Everything you need for your emergency antenna for ARES. Nothing missing and easy to assemble.

W7ILD Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2004 09:54 Send this review to a friend
At last a product that does as advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One of the few products that does as advertised! Not a disappointment in any way and worth the money. There are many products that fit this need for less money but the "package" is complete and works for the ultimate emergency deployment system! What more could you ask for? The company is very upfront and will answer all your question honestly and openly.