Reviews Categories | Microphones | Heil PR30 Dynamic Microphone Help

Reviews Summary for Heil PR30 Dynamic Microphone
Heil PR30 Dynamic Microphone Reviews: 9 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $unknown
Description: The PR series, although outwardly looking like many studio condensor microphones, are true dynamic microphones designed to meet the demanding needs of Amateur Radio operations on all levels, straight into the radio or though external audio procession equipment. There are currently three models in the series, the PR30, PR40 and PR780. The PR40 is expected to be the top of the line. The PR780, although similar to the PR30, has been specifically designed for use with the ICOM 7800 transceiver
More info: http://www.heilsound.com/

You can write your own review of the Heil PR30 Dynamic Microphone.

K5LXY Rating: 5/5 Oct 26, 2012 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Think it's a winner!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
There is no doubt Bob Heil makes quality mics and having shared air time him I know he is committed to customer satisfaction. That being said I will admit that my choice to use the PR-30 included not only my personal tests and review but also the fact that it just is one cool looking microphone. There are lot's of other mics out there whose performance is not that far away but given the devotion that Bob has provided the ham community and given that IMHO the PR-30 was the winner I had no issue spending a little more money. The majority of what we do is all about the audio. Too many of us spend a lot of time and money on the rig, amp and antenna and then end up using a stock microphone. This is truly an area where we should spend more time. Tailoring our audio should perhaps constitute our greatest effort. So I conclude by saying that I love my PR-30 yet depending on your voice you may well likely do better with some other mic. The best I can offer is this audio link where I test several mics through my IC-746PRO. Take a listen and decide if I offer you insight.
Best 73's.

NN2X Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2011 18:34 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have a Kenwood 590S..I just purchased a PRO 30 from Heil.. I finally have an Audio quality that I have been seeking..I had a MC 60 from Kenwood, I don't know if there was an issue with the MIC, or this is how it works, but not at the quality I was looking for...

The PRO 30, is night and day when comparing to MC 60..When on the air I get very good feed back from other HAM operators indicating high quality in the AUDIO

Summary...I am very pleased!

K3DAV Rating: 5/5 Jul 22, 2010 01:29 Send this review to a friend
Bob Heil does it again.  Time owned: more than 12 months
At first sight of the PR 30 in your hand, you see a pleasing professional looking broadcast studio mic. The soft gold color is not too flashy. The mesh screen over the mic element is tight and straight. The entire mesh screen inside is lined with a foam rubber type filter, so an external foam pop filter is not required at all. And it just looks so pretty hanging on the shock mount and boom. Let's just say it looks very impressive.

The PR 30 is very directional and you need to be within 8 to 9 inches from it to have a normal amount of audio pick up, which I like. I usually stay 3 or 4 inches away from the front end. Just move a few inches to the left or right, and your audio is cut in half. We hams know that our radios will not transmit the full 40 to 18,000Hz range of the PR 30, but you can be sure that what ever the frequency response range is on your radio, this mic will cover it with a full flat response and no fall-offs.

The responses I have had on FM simplex is "great" to "HOLY COW". I am told the audio is super clear, strong, and no fuzz around the edges. Everyone hears a nice normal amount of bass response for warmth, and just enough highs to be clean and crisp, but not tinny. The entire voice range is very articulate. Even SSB has a nice warmth with plenty of drive power without any distortion.

I run the PR 30 on my Icom IC-746PRO. For use on all Icom's and many Yaesu's, you must make a small modification to the PR 30. Icom and Yaesu insert 5VDC on the mic line to power the electret mic elements in their hand and desk mics. But the Heil PR 30 is a dynamic mic element, and that 5VDC will change the sound quality of the PR-30 for the worse. It makes the mic sound tinny and adds a hum. The 5VDC can also damage the PR 30 element.

To prevent this you need to do a simple modification. Removing 3 little screws allows you to remove the case off of the PR 30. You will see the dynamic mic element on the top with 2 wires coming off the bottom of the element. One is red (-), and the other is white (+), Un-solder the white wire from the element. You then need a 1uF electrolytic capacitor, any voltage above 15VDC. Solder the (-) side of the cap to the mic element where the white wire was. Then solder the white wire to the (+) side of the cap. There is plenty of room for the cap. Then just put the case back on the mic, and you are done. The cap blocks the 5VDC to the mic, but has no effect on the audio quality.

Now you can use the PR 30 on any radio with phantom power on the mic line, without any harm or effect to the mic. My PR-30 sounds fantastic on my 746PRO. I get nothing but high praise and compliments. And there is plenty of audio to drive the power on SSB.

I highly recommend the Heil PR 30 for any radio old or new. And makes the best quality recording mic you can get. It beats a ribbon mic in every way. Heil did it again, and you would be wise to use the PR 30.

If anyone would like an HD photo of the inside of the PR-30, email me at k3dav@msn.com . Use "PR 30" in the header.

K3DAV Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2009 15:50 Send this review to a friend
GET THIS MIC!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was using a Heil Goldline GM4 through a W2IHY 8 Band EQ, into my Icom 706MKIIG. It has performed flawlessly for a few years now. The only problem I had was it picked up the noise from my fans in the radio and tuner. On the air, it sounded like I had a blow dryer going.

So I discussed this with Bob Heil himself, and he suggested the Heil PR 30 for it's fantastic super cardioid pattern, hoping it would reduce the fan noise behind it. After all, this mic has a -40dB rear rejection.

Well, the PR 30 did indeed reduce the fan noise by a lot. Not completely, but a lot. But the replies and compliments from hams on the air were the big bonus. The first time I keyed up with the PR 30 got replies like, WOW! WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR MIC? THAT SOUNDS GREAT! I am still running it through the W2IHY EQ unit, and with a few small readjustments of the EQ settings, I am told it has a very clean and strong studio quality on SSB. Much more so than the Heil GM4 did. I notice a more steady output power on SSB.

The responses I have had on FM simplex is great to "HOLY COW". I am told the audio is super clear, strong, and no fuzz around the edges. Everyone hears a nice normal bass response, and just enough highs to be clean and crisp. The entire voice range is very articulate.

For all Icom and some Yaesu users, you will need to pre-amp or EQ the PR-30 mic. Those radios are designed to operate with electret condensor mic elements with a much higher impeadence, and those radios do not get enough gain from a dynamic mic element for a direct connection. But the results are well worth the effort and money. Bob Heil has done it again. Atta boy Bob. Get this mic and you will not be sorry.

N2QQF Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2008 06:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am into ESSB and obvious other aspects of the hobby but i do enjoy sounding good while talking to the boys. Anyhow, I utilize a Kenwood TS-2000 (3.4k wide) and the Yaesu FT-2000. Both radios sound great with this microphone. I have had other condenser type mics but i get a better sound out of the dynamics. I read a previous review that stated the microphone worked for the FT-2000 and it does but it works and sounds just as good if not better on the TS-2000. I admittedly do have other processor in line such as DEQ 21496, DSP2024P and a few other items but the microphone sounds wonderful with full range response and nice lows and highs. It is worth the money and looks really good too.

K5VY Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2007 02:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic for Hi-Fi Tx audio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got my Yaesu Ft-2000 in november of 2006. Bob Heil suggested his PR-30 for that radio. The reports I'm getting on the Tx audio are outstanding!! Very much worth the money! The flexibility of the 2K radio as far as setting up the built-in parametric EQ for the Tx audio are really great and the PR-30 is a hand-in-glove fit for the 2K. Great mic. Very much worth the money!

WD0CT Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2006 21:45 Send this review to a friend
Save money - Get this one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you want to save a bit of moolah and still have as good a dynamic mic as any out there, get the PR30. Some may wonder why the PR30 instead of the PR40? I liked what I read in reviews of both mics and decided I wanted to be different. I haven't regretted it.

The physical shape of the PR30 is slightly different from the PR40 and the response on the bottom is 40Hz instead of 28Hz. You will never miss 12Hz.

I think it looks fine business. Fit and finish is as good as I've seen. It comes in a cardboard box and includes mic and tough all metal mount.

The screen around the element is double thickness and has foam all around the inside. Right behind the front the foam looks to be about 3/4 inch thick. I don't have 'pop'problems and don't use any other 'pop' filters.

As a test I installed a foam surround - big foam ball type pop filter on the mic. All this did was drastically change the frequency response as heard in my monitor so it was removed permanently.

Like most any wide response mic this one benefits from mic equalization. If your radio has some internal eq and or some high and low transmit frequency adjustments you will still be able to get good sound.

As with most mics the PR30 exhibits proximity effect as you get closer to the front of the mic. I don't see this as a drawback though. I use it as a tool to change my low end at will.

The mic has an articulate and smooth sound. I have yet to hear it muddy up in my monitor. No one has complained of harshness in my audio. I use it with a channel strip that contains a preamp, eq, and compressor and the result goes into the front of my stock 950SDX.

A nice thing about this mic is the reduced sensitivity compared to most condenser mics. Less sensivity equals less mic pickup of shack noise. So far I've been able to get by without any noise gate or expander. This may change if I get a noisier amp though.

I'm happy with the PR30 and would buy one again.

Steve wd0ct

SM4PEL Rating: 5/5 May 13, 2005 13:36 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a dream for the money!
Real HI-FI quality.
I am using it together with w2ihy 8 band eq.
And EQplus by w2ihy.
Tranceiver is IC-775 DSP. Now it´s a blast to work SSB.

K4QKY Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2004 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional new Microphone from Heil Sound  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a review of a pre-production Heil PR30 dynamic microphone by radio amateur Don Snodgrass K4QKY.

You know the old saying, “Great mic… great sounding audio”. Well, it’s no longer quite that simple. Growing numbers of hams now employ sophisticated internal and external audio processing techniques. However, the right microphone can still make a significant difference. For most hams, the microphone remains the most critical piece of gear to accurately capture vocal sound. Start with a proper microphone and you have more than a fighting chance of coming up with a quality sounding amateur radio station.

Bob Heil has established a reputation for innovation over the years. He has become an industry leader in producing superior quality microphones for amateur radio applications. Now, with the advent of the PR30, Heil Sound is looking beyond amateur radio to new markets including commercial radio, live sound and studio recording.

The PR30, although outwardly looking like many studio condensor microphones, is a true dynamic microphone designed to meet the demanding needs of amateur radio operations on all levels, straight into the radio or though external audio procession equipment. There are currently four models in the PR series, the PR20, PR30, PR40 and PR780. The PR40 is expected to be the top of the line. The PR780, although similar to the PR30, has been specifically designed for use with the ICOM 7800 transceiver.

I was favorably impressed by the PR30 as soon as I saw it. The fit and finish is exceptional. This microphone is built with Heil’s characteristic sturdiness. The PR30 has that same solid construction as previous Heil microphones. However, don’t expect the usual black finish. The PR30’s exterior is finished in a light metallic grey color.

PR series microphones are designed to accept the model 309A suspension shock-mount. This fairly expensive mount is typically used with the Eletro Voice RE20 and RE 27 microphones. Although it wasn’t available for this review, Bob Heil indicates that a new design shock mount called the Model SM-3 will be packaged with the PR30, 40 and 780 microphones which most hams will prefer. The SM-2 shock mount will also work.

Of course, the real point of this review is to evaluate how well the PR30 sounds on the air. For this review, I evaluated the PR30’s performance in two separate configurations:

Configuration A (no external audio processing)
Microphone output straight into microphone input of a Kenwood TS870. Kenwood TS870 settings as follows:
>>> TX offset 100
>>> TX width 3000
>>> TX EQ “high boost”

Configuration B (external audio processing)
Microphone output into a Presonus tube microphone preamp; then into a Behringer DEQ2496 processor; through the W2IHY iBox interface into the microphone input of a Kenwood TS870. Kenwood TS870 settings as follows:
>>> TX offset 100
>>> TX width 3000
>>> TX EQ “off”

All hams contacted were favorably impressed with the overall sound of the PR30! All confirmed that the PR30 benefited from external processing as described in Configuration B although the microphone sounded excellent even without external processing.

Transmitted audio was recorded and analyzed 10/30/04 on 17 meters courtesy of VE6CQ “Rick”, a professional radio broadcaster. Rick was extremely impressed with the gently falling yet nearly flat spectragram audio trace from 80Hz to 3.0KHz. He believes that the PR30 will be great success.

Which PR series to buy? Any of the PR series microphones can easily hold a coveted place in the ham shacks of radio amateurs. Either the PR30 (preferably) or the PR20 will suit the needs of most Amateurs. The PR40, with its expected 20Hz – 19KHz frequency response, may be a better choice for the more discerning operator.

About the Reviewer:
Don Snodgrass “K4QKY” has been a ham for over 30 years. He enjoys all aspects of Amateur Radio especially experimenting with ssb audio processing techniques.
You can visit his website at http://webpages.charter.net/donsno/wb4kr.htm and email him at k4qky@charter.net .