Reviews Categories | Emergency/Portable Power: generators, solar, wind, thermal, etc | Honda EU3000IS Inverter generator Help

Reviews Summary for Honda EU3000IS Inverter generator
Honda EU3000IS Inverter generator Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $$1.999.95
Description: Inverter provides true sine wave energy for electronics while conserving energy/gasoline in a quieter, smaller and lighter than conventional portable gen.
More info: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com

You can write your own review of the Honda EU3000IS Inverter generator.

KD8MJR Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2010 15:36 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Generator..  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had an EU3000i for 5 years, it has over 350 hours logged on it and has never had a problem, never missed a beat on starting, I have never even had to use the manual pull start, never even had to do servicing except changing oil twice in 5 years.

On one occasion I had to use it for almost 9 days straight after a Hurricane! It ran 24/7 except for two 30 minute breaks each day to refuel and check the oil etc. It ran without a problem and it was so quite that I was the only person in the neighborhood that could run mine all night long without anybody complaining. Now in all honesty I cannot attest to RF noise but if that is the case for some people then I suggest you get some chokes and caps and fix the problem that way. The sheer reliability and gas sipping nature of this Genny out weigh anything else.

Don't underestimate the need for silence when buying a Generator; it's probably one of the most important aspects! I have owned the typical 6KW $499 Genny's that you see for sale at Home Depot and I can tell you first hand that when those units power up; especially at night and you hear that lawn mower type sound for 2 or 3 hours you get so desperate for some silence that you prefer to just turn it off and sit in Darkness, that's if your neighbors have not already come over threatening to draw blood.

A quite Generator like the EU3000 is almost undetectable when placed outside the room,
I can have my EU on in the Garage and stand right next to it with another person across from me and have a conversation at normal voice level with no problem! The EU makes camping trips and field days enjoyable; people will even walk up and ask were the power coming from!

The True Sinewave power that it produces has run every piece of equipment in my house, from computers to Ham gear to My 46Ē Panasonic Plasma TV and none of them have had any problems. It runs my 28 cu Ft Fridge and all the lights and TVís with no problems,
And once refilled at 9pm I can trust it to run all the way till 9Am the next morning.

This generator was one of the best purchases I have made; it has been a pleasure to own and has made me a full Honda convert.

K9ZU Rating: 2/5 Nov 13, 2007 08:08 Send this review to a friend
A blast of noise across the spectrum  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a rugged, slick unit, which is perfect EXCEPT FOR THE FOLLOWING:

John, K9VIS and I did a portable SSCW effort from KY 2 weekends ago. We went nuts trying to figure where the S9-plus hash was coming from, present on 160, 80, 40 and 20. During early Sunday morning, I theorized that it COULD ACTUALLY be the vaunted Inverter Generator. We went to battery backup, and VOILA, we were no longer the biggest alligator on the band. (We were running a Heathkit mobile amp, at about 600W input.) John came very close to taking the gen back to the vendor, but will keep it if a viable, completely successful noise suppression kit is acquired.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2005 17:23 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding generator!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Every Honda (car, motorcycle, mower...etc...) I've owned has been nothing short of amazing, although a bit expensive. We decided to buy the EU3000 so the wife can run her hairdryer in the trailer (no kidding!!) and the unit never has failed us....

But....you gota include a gas stabilizer in the the tank otherwise the gas begins breaking down in 30 days and causes many problems

Cheers All..../73

W4WWQ Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2005 19:42 Send this review to a friend
Honda EU3000is Generator causes RF Broadband Noise  Time owned: more than 12 months
The new technology used in todayís AC generators uses a solid-state inverter to generate a 60 Hz sine wave. It is advertised to be a clean signal appropriate for demanding electronic applications. Well, not exactly true. Upon closer examination with an oscilloscope seeing peach fuzz, it is evident the inverter uses many, small, stepped or saw tooth waveforms to make the intended 60 Hz power cycle.

The sharp edged waveform is generating broadband RF noise. A 50 foot extension cord plugged into the generator and left laying on the ground will radiate broadband noise into a nearby receiver on 7 MHz. If the generator frame is grounded, the level will increase another 4 or 5 S-units, to S-9.

My cure was to install two ferrite-core chokes, one each in the HOT and NUTRAL legs. This reduced the noise to be undetectable. EMail W4WWQ@arrl.net for details.

W2NSF Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2004 04:48 Send this review to a friend
It's a good unit.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought mine just after the last northeast blackout and have used it about ten time since then. I can't report on any HF interference (my main station backup is battery power), but I can say this generator lives up to all its claims. It's quiet, it sips gas, the protection circuits are superb, and the output is as advertised. I do recommend getting the wheels kit, as this baby is HEAVY!

(I've also noticed several of our local cable company's service trucks have these units mounted on their rear bumpers, so they must be rugged, too.)

K8DIT Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2004 22:59 Send this review to a friend
High Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found a used unit and found it very nice in use on my station. I would like to hear from others experience with inverter type gens.,hints and kinks style. I ran it the first time for 5 hours and used a little over a half gallon on the 3.5gallon tank. Its rated 20hrs @ 1/4 load. I found it very quiet in Eco throttle which for loads less than .75kw will extend gas usage. I discovered hash on 75meters that went as high as S-9, on receive only,for most of the band, but was clean on all other HF bands. I ran my computer, monitor, a quartz lamp, several 10W accessories and my Drake TR-7@150Watts output. Since there's no DSP inline on this rig, I havent tried the outboard DSP unit yet to see if this helps. I will get some split Ferrite beads and try to suppress this hash, but am open to anyone's experience/ideas on how to work around this problem. Ive had the unit for 5 days.