Reviews Categories | Lightning & Surge Protection/Supression | AlphaDelta ATT3 G50 Static Discharge Protector Help

Reviews Summary for AlphaDelta ATT3 G50 Static Discharge Protector
AlphaDelta ATT3 G50 Static Discharge Protector Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $54.95
Description: Static discharge protector for VHF/UHF

You can write your own review of the AlphaDelta ATT3 G50 Static Discharge Protector.

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Sep 24, 2017 17:32 Send this review to a friend
HIGH QUALITY GAS DISCHARGE UNIT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought one of these babies 9 years ago for my HF antennas.

Often when sitting in the shack when T storms would pass nearby I heard the distinctive "crack" or "crack-crack" as my antennas would discharge their high voltage induced charges through the gas discharge tube to ground. Probably heard 30-50 such arcs, but the latest one did in the gas tube, but protected my gear keeping it damage free.

I ordered a replacement GDT from DXEngineering and had the unit back working again in 2 days.

The AlphaDelta GDT specs talk about how effectively it limits line voltages to 300-1000 volts, but acts so quickly that only a very small joule amount gets into your equipment, not enough to do any damage.

Pretty neat to see it in action, and to come out unscathed.

Two years ago I added two Array Solutions high end static discharge units at the inputs to my IC7600. I had forgotten about the lowly AlphaDelta GDT that was in the line from my remote antenna relay box and the shack. But it came through with flying colors. An impressive GDT unit!

K2IZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 14:12 Send this review to a friend
Every station should have them.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Installed ATT3's for every antenna I have in the air, , everything is well made, up until last year I never had any lightning protection, guess I got lucky, with these installed I don't have to rely on luck to not get damage to my equipment.

DXSHORTWAVE Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2013 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Works great at 2 kW  Time owned: more than 12 months
The previous reviewer must be using the 200 watt model. The 2 kW model is ATT3G50HP. We use them here at this commercial station at 2 kW carrier with no problems. Have used them for years.

Scott

K0KS Rating: 3/5 Aug 30, 2013 11:31 Send this review to a friend
Works Well with Reservations  Time owned: more than 12 months
These work fine at low power levels but will not handle 2KW @ 3:1 SWR. Mine breaks down at 800W CW with a 1.9:1 SWR. A Polyphaser IS-B50HU
did not but this is a more expensive unit. This would rate a "5" except for QRO above 500W.

K6USN Rating: 5/5 Aug 14, 2012 16:16 Send this review to a friend
Prudent Insurance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I live in central Wisconsin. Lightening is a way of life here. For many years I have used a variety of Alpha Delta products (antennas, lightening arrestors and coax switches) and find them to be of high quality. I've had several near misses where the surge took out the TV's, the phone system and the garage door opener but my ham station came through fine.
I have a number of Alpha Delta Static Surge Protectors - one for each feedline- and ground them per the electrical codes in my area. (An 8 ft ground rod with #8 copper wire as a minimum.)

W5DGM Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2012 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Absolutely essential  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have these devices on every coax line at the base of my tower. Along with a very good single point ground system, this is essential for station protection. All transceivers perform as they should with the protectors in line.

KB1NXE Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2010 09:14 Send this review to a friend
Peace of Mind  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 16 of these deployed. 6 at the top of the tower, 6 at the bottom and 4 additional for non-tower mounted antennas. I think they are hugely over priced, but so is car insurance! But I digress.

Never an issue with either near strikes or static buildup during New Hampshire snow and wind storms.

Very well made with O-ring seals on both the cartridge and connectors. Weather proof as long as you seal the connector to the suppressor.

DXSHORTWAVE Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2007 07:03 Send this review to a friend
Effective protection for commercial use  Time owned: more than 12 months
At our commercial HF monitoring and point to point transmission site, we provide services for several commercial and government entities. We get to work ham radio too during off hours.

Some months ago, we replaced our "DC blocked" Polyphaser units with Alpha Delta TT3G50 surge protectors. We did this because several of the Polyphaser units failed during 1000 watt continuous duty transmissions over a 1 to 2 year period. We discovered the capacitors in them failed during high power operation. We asked for the rating specs but received no response.

We tested both types of designs with our high voltage, current limited pulse generators to characterize surge protection performance. We found the Alpha Delta units provided the same nanosecond (approx 80 nsec, as verified by an outside lab) "response time" as the others and the discharge protection is as effective.

The Alpha Delta units have no internal capacitors to break down and the reliability has been flawless. We have changed our systems in the U.S. and Asia to the TT3G50s and have been very satisfied with the performance. The Alpha Delta folks have been very responsive to our questions.

As always, we use commecial grade grounding techniques (single point grounds, etc.) because no protectors can do the job by themselves. We have sustained no equipment damage or failures at this point, and some of our HF antennas are quite large.

CLEBOT Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2004 10:15 Send this review to a friend
Works as expected  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got this little jewel after a particulraly cold, dry and statically electric New England winter. I zapped my radio pretty good, neccessitating a trip to the repair center. Afterwards, I decided to upgrade all my static protection. I got the AlphaDelta ATT3 G50 from Universal Radio and hooked it up. Installation was easy. I haven't noticed any loss in signal strength, and have saved myself much worry when it really gets dry, cold, snowy and windy.
I will change the arc plug before the next winter season to be on the safe side. At 10 bucks, it's a small investment.