Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Kenwood R2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood R2000
Kenwood R2000 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $450.00
Description: The R-2000 is an innovative all-mode SSB, CW, AM, FM receiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/kc7bum/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood R2000.

N4AEQ Rating: 4/5 Nov 7, 2007 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Great for a older rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
For 550kc to 30mhz its a very good receiver, below 550 it dosent peform as well. Too bad it dosent go to 6m, that would make it almost a great HF receiver. I picked mine up at a local hamfest for $100 and seems to be a great deal The best feature is the bright blue digital display, you can see it a mile away! All my newer
overpriced rigs with their back lit led displays
look like crap compared to the R2000.

K7BAB Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2007 12:35 Send this review to a friend
Built to Last  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my R-2000 new around 1984 and I have only had two problems with the receiver.

The first was the attenuator does not always click in properly. This causes an overload that makes very strong nearby standard broadcast stations appear on various frequencies. Spraying tuner cleaner in the attenuator PC mounted attenuator switch and they spraying white lithium grease in the PC board mounted switch and the cam assemby behind the attenuator and then turning the knob back and forth cures that problem.

The second is the lamp behind the S meter went out; bad bulb. There is an LED retrofit for the bulb.

I used this receiver, at the time that I bought it, for RTTY. The 50Hz tuning steps were a bit too large for good RTTY tuning; the 50Hz steps are not objectionable (to me) on CW and SSB. The AM bandwidth is very good and using the narrow bandwidth for AM broadcasts is good for getting rid of heterodynes.

good.

This is a very well made receiver and has a very user-friendly layout.

K7BAB Rating: 4/5 Sep 25, 2007 21:04 Send this review to a friend
Build to Last  Time owned: more than 12 months
The first was the attenuator does not always click in properly. This, I imagine, is from the mechanical linkage that goes from the knob shaft to a switch on a PC board. This causes an overload that makes very strong nearby standard broadcast stations appear on various frequencies. Tuner cleaner and turning the knob back and forth straightens that out.
The second is the lamp behind the S meter went out (bad bulb?).
I used this received at the time that I bought it for RTTY. The 50Hz tuning increments were a bit too large for good tuning; it is not noticeable on CW and SSB. The AM bandwidth is very good and using the narrow bandwidth for AM broadcasts is good for getting rid of heterodynes.
The sound of the internal speaker is very good and the tone control is more than adequate. SSB sounds very natural. The sensitivity is very good.
This is a very well made receiver and has a very user-friendly layout.

MW0LDJ Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2006 18:38 Send this review to a friend
The grass is'nt greener.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive been using my R-2000 for about 2 years. I have other radios for listening above 5 Mhz but for MW and below, the R-2000 is outstanding.
Im on a budget, I cant go to the 1000s of pounds Id like to. I recently decided to purchase a Yaesu VR-5000. I had it a day and a half before I put it back on Ebay, (and made a profit). The Yaesu could just not cut it at the low bands anything like my old R-2000.
Im still looking to upgrade but the only 5000 I'll be considering now is the R-5000. Its just a pity that there are so few about.

NIGHTHAWK Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2006 20:53 Send this review to a friend
Great radio on a budget  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this R2000 from a friend a few days ago, I was wanting a better receiver to replace my R1000. The radio is in great shape with no problems internally. Personally I think the radio is a good buy based upon the features it has etc. It's not the best or the newest radio on the block but it suits me perfectly.

The Good:

Three tuning speeds, I like this feature b/c it allows me to zero in on an elusive station 99% of the time. AGC Fast/Slow is great, another big improvement over the R1000. Noise blanker works exceptionally well at my location. Dual Clocks, I like this b/c you can set one to UTC and the other to Local Time. Dimmer Switch, I use this a lot in dark situation to reduce glare. Squelch, another improvement over the R1000. RF Attenuator works a lot better than the one on the R1000, b/c it is 10db/20db/30db instead of 20db/40db/60db. The wide/narrow filters are better suited to my needs than on the R1000, the wide was way to wide for me even though it provided pleasent audio, which the R2000 is a tad less in that department. Ten memories, I used them to program my favorite parts of the HF spectrum.

The Bad: Slow scanning rate, prone to keybounce (mine has none), buttons can become stiff and require adjustment, awkward S-Meter (takes some getting used to).

Overall, this is a great radio if your not a picky person who loves to rag on everything this radio does not have comparred to those rigs that can cost a fortune. I've owned a Icom R71A, Realistic DX160 and DX-300, Grundig S350, and this R2000 outpreforms everything but the R71A, and even then its very close between those two. The R2000 also costs less than the Icom, which I would rate the R2000 over it any day.

M1MBZ Rating: 4/5 Jun 28, 2006 14:58 Send this review to a friend
Good for broadcast bands and ok for ham  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the best radios I've ever used for listening to AM shortwave broadcast bands. I have spent many hours listen to AM broadcasting using this receiver, and the only gripes with it are the lack of filter options, with the existing ones being very wide or very narrow, it could do with a selection of filter options to give <2000Hz, ~3400Hz, 6000Hz and 12000Hz, or at least a variable band pass filter.

Audio quality from the built in speaker is excellent, and a headphone option is available, as is an external loudspeaker option. Antenna connections are enough to deal with most antenna arrangements, 50ohm SO239 plus a balanced antenna port for dipoles etc fed with 300ohm twin line.

Memory function is limited to ten memories and is only good for storing either your most favourite stations or for recalling your favourite parts of the HF spectrum.

This radio is a great thing to look at but it's size makes it much too big to be portable despite it's carrying handle, which makes this radio impractical for anything other than sitting on a bench/desk of a dedicated shortwave broadcast band listener, smaller radios are available that have better features.

The radio does receive SSB/CW adequately too but again the lack of filter options make it good for listening to strong signals only, no options for filtering out noise, whistles or unwanted QRM.

A great radio but not a good all round performer, SSB/utility listeners may want to keep looking for a radio with better specifications.

I no longer own an R2000 settling for using a Sangean ATS909 for listening.

PD0AC Rating: 2/5 Dec 31, 2005 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Not the best ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned the R2000 for about a year, but never fell in love with the thing. It was just an average receiver with no real advantages. SSB with 50 Hz steps is asking for trouble. Sensitivity was OK, but selectivity was mediocre at best. When listening to the European CB in FM, you were likely to receive three channels at the time instead of one.

All those mistakes were solved in the R5000, which is probably one of the best receivers ever made. Needless to say, I got rid of the R2000 as soon as the R5000 became available.

WPE9JRL Rating: 4/5 Jan 29, 2005 09:15 Send this review to a friend
Pleasure To Operate  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanting to try out an R-2000, I bought one on ebay for $200, it's in nice shape and works well.

The radio is sensitive and hears most anything my Icom Pro will hear. I use mine for casual listening and it is very satisfying to use. The quick use of the 10 memories is a real neat feature. You can easily "memorize" one freq while surfing to another...then you can recall the previous listened-to freq's very quickly at the push of a button.

The radio looks cool and has a colorful front panel layout....unlike our black-boxes of today.

SSB is good on it....some others here have complained about the inability to tune SSB "correctly" due to the 50-Hz tuning steps. It works fine 99-percent of the time. Audio on AM and SSB sounds natural and pleasing with the stock filters. Why would anyone hack this thing up with "Kiwa" mods?

I bought Ten-Tec's $12.00 Mosfet preamp board....mounted it in a RadShack project box along with a six-foot telescopic antenna. This homebrew amplified antenna on the back of the R-2000 makes a neat stand-alone listening station that I carry around room-to-room in the house.

Bottom line: The radio is a very good workhorse, pleasing to operate and to listen to. Good prices in the used market. I can see why so many of them were sold in the 1980's.

LU5DDX Rating: 4/5 Jun 23, 2004 17:34 Send this review to a friend
bueno  Time owned: more than 12 months
es un muy buen receptor la unica falla es la llave del atenuador que se desarma y pierde sensibilidad .
hay que modificarla o no tocarla .
saludos desde bs,as. jorge

ZS6BNE Rating: 4/5 May 19, 2004 07:18 Send this review to a friend
Good general coverage receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used to own a R1000 receiver but sold it only to be in a position that I needed a general coverage receiver again. I saw an ad on our local website in South Africa for a R2000 receiver and bought it for R800 which is equivalent to about $114 which was a bargain. To be honest I preferred the R1000's tuning. The R2000's tuning could be better. Passing certain frequency segments can be heard which is a bit irritating. The ability to store frequencies and modes on 9 different channels is a big plus point and it is done so easily too. I like the memory channel and range scanning a lot. The squelch has not been used very much but could be handy on a quiet band. I like the recording output which I send to via a digital modes interface to the PC's sound card mic input for recording to WAV files. Overall I would say the R2000 is good value for money and definitely a general coverage receiver is a MUST for every ham shack.