Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Kenwood R2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood R2000
Kenwood R2000 Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $450.00
Description: The R-2000 is an innovative all-mode SSB, CW, AM, FM receiver
More info: http://www.qsl.net/kc7bum/

You can write your own review of the Kenwood R2000.

68BG032 Rating: 4/5 Aug 11, 2003 11:10 Send this review to a friend
What can i say, its my first listening set  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
To be honest I have only just got my hands on a R2000, but i think that it is a really good set. I have not used the fitted VHF receiver as my antenna is only a 27Mhz CB Antrnna, but i hope to get an antenna that will cover from 0Mhz up to 174Mhz. If any body knows how to get my hands on a cheap transmitting module i would be very grateful as I want to use this as my first amateur radio. Cheers.

KC7BUM Rating: 4/5 Jan 7, 2003 00:29 Send this review to a friend
A wonderful radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I was in the military stationed down in the Republic of Panama back in 1988, I used to drool over the R-2000 in the Base Exchange catalog, but I could never afford one. I would have loved trying to run DX from down there, especially since I was involved with classified comms monitoring as part of my job. Later on, when I separated from the service, I cashed in some savings and finally bought one. I set up a 100' longwire antenna which I strung up about 35' high between two trees. One of my best logs was catching a ham operating USB out of Easter Island (about 1000 miles west of Chile) in the south Pacific. I wrote him a contact report but he never sent me a QSL card :-(

Anyway, I love that little R-2000 receiver so much that I've put together a comprehensive information resource web page for it. I have R-2000 manuals, schematics, parts, mods, accessories, etc. You can find it all at this web address:

I'd like to invite everyone to please come over and visit the page, and if you like what you see, please join our Kenwood R-2000 email discussion group. We'd love to have you with us.

All the best from Portland, Oregon!

N5JOB Rating: 4/5 Jul 16, 2002 17:51 Send this review to a friend
Wish I still had mine!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I owned an R-2000 years ago, and sold it because I had about one dozen receivers at the time! I really regret selling it.

The thing I liked most about it was the beautiful audio! The thing I disliked most about it was the fact that it tuned in 50 hz steps. Sometimes it was impossible to tune some SSB stations so that the voices sounded natural.

This radio is not so much a "hands-on" receiver as the R-1000. If you're a shortwave broadcast listener you could probably program your favorite frequencies in the 10 memories and never tune around much!

It is a nice CW receiver if you have the 500 hz filter installed.

If you're looking for a nice radio and don't mind the problem I mentioned above with SSB stations, the R-2000 would be a good choice.

VK5KLR Rating: 4/5 Jul 13, 2002 13:18 Send this review to a friend
I'd buy it again  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my R2000 in 1991. Still going strong even after the pup dragged it onto the floor with a bang while tugging on the antenna coax!

2 of the push buttons for memory location selection have broken. Still useable but the buttons often need a bit of jiggling to get them to work. Otherwise, no mechanical problems.

Not possible to line up USB/LSB so that they both read correct frequency of station being received. One can be set OK but the other will always be out about 300Hz. No problem.

Scanning rate far too slow to be useful.

Using a 25m wire antenna it overloads on strong local AM MF stations, with strong spurii up to about 3MHz. Nothing that a high pass filter couldn't sort out.

Have owned an Eddystone 880 and Collins 51J4, both top line military / commmercial receivers in their day (late 1950's, early 1960's). Both old clunkers were better at handlng strong signals, but that's not really a problem. The Collins had rather better selectivity, which I miss, though I have heard that a Collins filter can be fitted to the R2000.

However, the R2000 scores big time on frequency stability in the first 30 minutes, and is about as good thereafter.

And, of course, it really shines on frequency agaility compared to cranking those old heavyweights up and down the megacycles.

Mine has the VHF converter fitted. Seems adequate - definitely not a toy.

I think I'll run this one till it drops (or the dog, now very old, tows it onto the floor again).

By the way, the call sign I gave (Vk5KLR) is an ex. I gave up ham radio over 10 years ago. Just SWL'ing these days.

Regards to all
Dave Morrell
Adelaide, South Australia

SWL71OK Rating: 5/5 Apr 12, 2002 12:22 Send this review to a friend
A Great receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Picked up the R2000 in trade for network and
computing services provided to a local
medical office( The receiver was owned by a
local doctor who is part of our local dx club--
espresso.ts.uvic.ca ) The receiver is fitted with the VHF Convertor and other than a missing button(the timer), the unit has worked flawlessly for 6 or 7 years of daily use. It has a COLLINS filter in the narrow position and really performs with some fairly basic antennas..

EI4HQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2001 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Good Value even today  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I recently purchased a second hand R2000 at a rally to use for propagation beacon monitoring. The unit has the optional VHF converter fitted. I'm very happy with it. The receiver is good even by today's standards (and substantially better than many of the newer all singing all dancing efforts like the Yaesu V5000). I am waiting on a manual but this is only to see about connecting it to a PC (for auto-monitoring/band switching) - otherwise one isn't required as the rig's operation is totally intuitive. I agree that having to reset the clocks everytime the unit is unplugged is a pain - also the scanning is so slow as to be useless - might it be possible to speed it up I wonder?. A faster scan rate with carrier pause would make this rig perfect. As it is scanning on VHF is a non runner really which is a terrible shame. Given the bargin basement prices at which this rig can be picked up I would have no hesitation in grabbing one.

VE3VG Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2001 12:45 Send this review to a friend
excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I've been a licenced ham for the last 40 years. (wow, 40 years!)
Only had the R2000 for a few months but I love it.
Over the years have owned lots of good, bad and indifferent receivers,
but the R2000 is up there with some of the best. I think I will keep
this one.
My only criticism is with the two clocks, wish at least one of them
was displayed along with the frequency... wish they didn't need to be
reset every time the power went off, and wish the narrow filter was a
little less flakey...

KB6TRR Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2000 17:51 Send this review to a friend
13 YEARS AND STILL GOING STRONG  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this radio new in 1987 for around $450 and based on my experiences with this unit would certainly buy it again. As the receiver for a QRP station I have dragged this unit all over the country in a suitcase as airline baggage with no ill effect. I have the vhf conversion unit which covers the vhf spectrum to 174MHz. After 13 years the only problem has been that the frequency display sometimes locks up a bit. This is due to the internal battery getting weak. After the unit is powered up for a couple of hours the problem goes away. Since the battery has a 10 year life span I can't complain. It's easy to use, and for the SWL its great. The fidelity of the front facing speaker is adequate for broadcast as well as SSB and CW.

VK2XMD Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2000 16:33 Send this review to a friend
R2000 - a pleasure to use.  Time owned: unknown months
I love my Kenwood R2000! There! I've said it! I bought it second-hand a couple of years ago, and simply WILL NOT part with it. I believe it dates
from around 1987, but will accept correction on this. This is an excellent receiver for the first-time SWL'er, or a great second receiver for a more experienced SWL or ham. I like almost everything about this radio. It doesn't have quite the "finish" of Yaesu or JRC, but the quality seems to be adequate, the performance is more than acceptable, the audio is excellent, and
the radio is totally intuitive to use. Mine didn't come with a manual, and by the time I found one, I didn't need it. The manual, however, is excellent. There is little to criticise in this radio. Mine seems to have developed an
intermittent temperature-sensitive fault in the front end, but I'll get around to fixing it one day when it becomes more persistent... Meantime, I love the way you can press a memory button (1-0) then simply turn the VFO knob to go somewhere else. Then if you want to return to a memory position you just press the appropriate memory channel button. No switching between VFO and
memory functions like some other radios. Okay, it's not quite "loaded" with features, but it doesn't cost a lot, either. It has AM, FM, USB, LSB and CW, a wide/narrow IF, AF gain, tone, squelch, RF attenuator, AGC-fast, Noise blanker (ineffective), display dimmer, band up and down buttons, and a VFO knob with three speeds and lock. It has ten memory channels and rudimentary
scanning functions. The frequency display is a fluorescent type. It has two clocks and an ON-OFF timer, which can control external equipment. It has a real S-meter, which is often difficult to read because of the colouring, and at night becomes unreadable. I performed an alignment on my radio, and was delighted with the sensitivity and selectivity. An optional VHF converter was available, but is hard to find nowadays. Given its price-point, the only things I can find to criticise on this radio after two years, are the hard-to-read S-meter and the lack of a sleep timer.