Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Kenwood TS-870S Help

Reviews Summary for Kenwood TS-870S
Kenwood TS-870S Reviews: 165 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $2399.00
Description: The Leader Of The Pack
More info: http://www.kenwood.net/products/index.cfm?AMA=open

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TS-870S.

N6RRV Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2013 18:22 Send this review to a friend
Still the best audio out of the box  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i sold my first 870 years ago and regretted it ever since. Have heard all the major brand rigs and the 870 still has them beat. You don't need external processing for that "killer" audio. The Low end goes dwn to 0kc and up to 3000kc for that full and clear audio that is so nice. The radio has excellent receive and the menu is so simple and the learning curve are the buttons and knobs on front of the radio. I just picked up another 870 that has the capability to receive the mike input to the ACC2 input in the rear which makes a big difference in the low end with smoother sound. nice! You Kenwood needs to bring back the 870. Its that good. if your an audiophile nut, then you will be in heaven with your external processing...

KC8RTU Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2013 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought used 2 owner, like menu's, audio one of the best there is. Just a fun radio to own thanks kenwood!

NA5XX Rating: 5/5 Nov 3, 2013 18:02 Send this review to a friend
Good radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got mine at a great deal. I am very pleased with it and it works fantastic with my windom or 5BTV. More features than I have learned to use (so far). My other radio is a TS-430 that I use portable. The 870 is my shack radio. If you find one, do not hesitate to get it. Mine is 1998 vintage.

DG3KCW Rating: 5/5 Oct 15, 2013 12:58 Send this review to a friend
Great performer!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
It is time to post a review...Do you know what? There is no radio out there which compares to the 870s. Maybe apart from another Kenwood radio. Yes your guess is right....It is the 830s...however never saw a radio whith comparable capabilities. The NR is great, close to perfect and the receive audio cannot be beat by any radio of any production. Did lots (not to say dozens) of a/b/c/d...
omparisons and the result is: 870 or 830....So you can't go wrong with a 870 (1997 and later). Perfect radio for ssb, definitely!!

VA3AVT Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2013 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Still Top Dog   Time owned: more than 12 months
TS 870 Still top dog in my shack,. Was going to buy the 990 but after Playing with the 990 for several hours then asked by the owner of the ham shop if I was going to buy the radio. My answer was NO….. Still this new radio can’t beat my 870!! And for the price it’s a joke!! Again if you right into digital mode then ya the 870 has old technology synonym and the 990 kills it in every way... But for phone opp the 870 is very hard to beat.. The SDX out of the box has a hard time keeping up with the 870.. Of course if you do some surgery to the SDX it becomes better sounding by a margin compaired to the 870.
All I’m saying if you have an 870 new sin number or old sin they are a great radio..
VA3AVT... 73,s

FORMER_K0PD Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2013 12:01 Send this review to a friend
Kenwoods best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned more than my share of radios since I first got my license in 94.But of all of them the 870 is at the top in my opinion. There is nothing I can say that has not already been said. I currently own a TS 450Sat,TS 2000 AT and a FT100D. I've just sold the 450 which was a difficult decision but am planning on keeping the 2000 and the little yaesu. As good as the 2000 is, it is noisy and lacks the audio fidelity of the 870 but is still worth hanging onto. My advice if asked is if you get a shot at buying a well taken care of 870 and after buying try and admit it's not Kenwoods best outside of maybe there new 990.

W1LDD Rating: 5/5 Apr 13, 2013 07:00 Send this review to a friend
Kenwood Audio!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This stands out as a great radio. Beautiful audio on TX and RX. The best tool on this radio is the RF gain because the radio has a hot RX. I'am using a AT2020 condensor microphone on this radio and I'm great reports. You could use any microphone on this radio and get great reports thats how good it is. Another great feature is the menu. Very easy to navigate.

K7ART Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2013 23:14 Send this review to a friend
Out of the box audio SILK  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two, if you can grab one. There is allot published on these radio’s and yes this is Kenwood’s perfected Out-of-the-Box audio magic. Forget all the outboard over processing and associated audio artifacts; drive her with the Heil PR-781 and a few menu adjustments and your good to go.

IS0KYB Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2013 14:29 Send this review to a friend
Best overall radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
In the last 20 years I tried several radios: TS140, TS830, TS850, TS930, TS950SDX, TS-590, IC-703, Microtelecom Perseus. My 870 has a 91... s/n and has a fantastic receiver at least on par with the 590. The 590 is a very nice radio but audio quality suffers a bit of digital artifacts where the 870 is much better even than the 830 and 930 and 850 in this respect. The 590 always had me closing and opening the passband where the receiver switched from down to up-conversion to check which one was the best... mental confusion all the time. The 870 has a consistent receiver performance no matter which bandwidth you choose. The 870 has the ergonomy of the 950SDX but has so many advantages: no fan noise, low power consumption, no heat, no DSP as an afterthought and overall better receiver.
I have yet to find a situation in which the 870 overloads at night in 40, 80 and 160m even if I have full size dipoles.
Moreover, everybody tells me I have a perfect audio emission with standard hand mic. And I am no HIFI SSB fan...

OK, it has some problems too:

- the notch/beat cancel works randomly
- the noise reduction (DSP) is useless as with all digital NR (but the SPAC for CW makes wonders as in the 590!)
- front panel could be metal along with the knobs :)
- dual antenna not selectable for TX/RX
- the numeric keypad with two columns is a bad joke from kenwood...

Overall my point is this:
If you connect the 870 to an external speaker or a good pair of headphones you'll find it difficult to turn it off even when you hear just boring chats on microphone quality on 80m. It's just so good to listen and to operate that any other radio I tried (maybe except for the 830) just doesn't compete.

N5HTQ Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2012 16:27 Send this review to a friend
Still a GREAT radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received this rig as a gift from ham friends. It is great! I had an Icom 751 before. I am not yet accustomed to the digital stuff this rig has, but it is great! The DSP is fantastic and will get better as I learn more about it. I have changed some settings and customized it for my personal taste. The more I use it the more I like it. I know it is an older rig, but a newer rig than I had previously. This is definitely a keeper for me for many years to come.