Reviews Categories | Receivers: Vintage amateur | Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk Help

Reviews Summary for Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk
Heathkit  RX-1 Mohawk Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $279/kit (1961)
Description: The matching receiver for the Heathkit Apache transmitter. Covers 160 - 10 meters receive of AM/SSB/CW modes. Vintage late 50's to mid 60's.

You can write your own review of the Heathkit RX-1 Mohawk.

KE5AKG Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2011 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got this to add an AM boatanchor receiver to my station, but was not expecting much in the way of SSB reception. Well, I was surprised to say the least. The receiver is sensitve, selective and has great audio. When I add my MFJ-784B outboard DSP
processor, it outperforms my Kenwood TS-2000 easily.
I can pull in all the DX I can with the TS-2000,
but with better audio. It shows me that HF receivers have gotten smaller and easier to use over the last 50 years, but only marginally better except for DSP.
Now I know why people love their Collins receivers with all those mechanical filters...
To top off the great performance, it is also the best looking piece of radio gear I have, even my wife likes it. Awesome late 50s styling...looks like it will sprout tail fins any moment now... I love this receiver!

WB8DBF Rating: 4/5 Oct 23, 2007 01:16 Send this review to a friend
Good Radio, not Great.  Time owned: more than 12 months
For the era, this was a very nice rig. The front end came assembled and aligned. It has enough controls to handle many operating situations. Audio Gain, RF Gain, IF Gain, Notch tuning and selectivity. It would have been nice to have a crystal filter.

WB1AEX Rating: 4/5 Nov 14, 2004 10:22 Send this review to a friend
Substantial receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
This receiver is the obvious match to the Heathkit Apache TX1 transmitter. It features a 50kc IF stage which offers extreme selectivity in the SSB and CW modes. Bandwidth for AM use is somewhat restricted, and also not symmetrical in its bandpass slope. Generally, reception is pleasant to listen to and quite natural sounding. Mechanically, this receiver is a bit of a curiousity. It almost seems like there were three design teams working on this device when it was on the drawing board: one for the chassis, one for the front panel, and one to devise all the cams, levers, pulleys, steel straps and other devices used to interconnect the knobs to the actual controls on the chassis. It is quite a designing feat that this thing works at all!